Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: pulled over again
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

had my R33 for 10 years, daily driver for 9 of those years (1600 was daily last year) and even though R33 is highly modified and loud as all fcuk, never had any trouble from cops. Have done about 160,000 kms in 9 years so i drive a lot.

then again I am older and have a clean record and behave on the roads and avoid 'hot spots' where cops are likely to pull over imports etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm 

I got pulled over shortly after backfiring in a tunnel, the cop didn't say anything, he just breath tested me and sent me on my way...

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:47 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

MYDATO wrote:
NANNY STATE
You're right there. Although we'd better be careful making points like that or we'll end up in the paper.
Green510 wrote:
When it gets to the point where its absolute bullcrap regarding driving certain makes and models of cars, im buying a holden for a daily.
VE GTS with a big single turbo, oh yeah!
There is absolutely no justification for buying a VE. Surely it won't be that bad.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm 

For the last 5 years I was driving an R33 as a daily. Stripped, cage, fully built engine..i lived in a small town, so i could count on being pulled over a couple of times per month without fail. The most simple and effective way to get around this? An engineers certificate. It is essential for driving a modified car, especially a skyline. As soon as they figured out they couldn't ping me for anything, they stopped pulling me up :thumbsup: So check with the RTA, simple phone call. Then do what needs doing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 pm 

I owned a bright green datsun 1600 for 6 months, and got pulled over more times that I can remember (1 included about 12 defects).

Now back in U13 bluebird, no trouble at all.

The only way to modify cars these days is to be sneaky, hide intercoolers, make things looks factory as possible. Or make sure you are losing your hair and wear glasses, helps when getting pulled over.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 pm 

hey guys finally received my defect notice and I've been given two options. can anyone tell me the easiest way to attack this problem? $84 fine for the inter cooler and the cop also added a noise test into the mix without letting me know ( lovely lady) how hard is it to pass a noise test? have to be under 90dB @ 4800 rpm. i can either remove the after market cooler and replace it with the original, take a photo pass the noise test and send all that info to the EPA. or i can leave the cooler on have the EPA do an emissions test on it ,pass the noise test and send that all in. all sounds like a major pain in the ass! any help please

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:45 pm 

i think there is aproved workshops for testing

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:56 pm 

90dB isn't that hard if you have a new, stock Prius or something... Half of the new cars sitting in dealerships now wouldn't pass the current emissions or sound laws!

In all seriousness, though, just make sure it's baffled up, has adequate muffling and see how you go. I get away with my car absolutely roaring on the road - in fact it has been known to be heard over 3km away if the conditions are right...

As for the intercooler, I honestly don't see it being a problem, depending on what state you're in. You'll probably find that you'll take it to the workshop, they'll say 'nice car', tick it off and send you on your way.

Personally, I would look into fighting it - not only because the mod is probably a user certified mod, it's clearly not a case of road safety but more the result of a cop's power trip. You could always write them a letter saying you're going to the media, make a lot of noise about victimisation and you could be lucky and they'll waive it to shut you up... :giggle:

I would have got her police number and name, and made a written complaint - she's obviously gone on a power trip since you're driving a nice car. Might be something to keep in mind for the future.

'63 Holden EH
'02 Grand Vitara
'91 EB Falcon
'91 EA Falcon S
'86 Range Rover
'98 Pulsar
'95 ZZR1100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:02 pm 

thanks for your info appreciate you taking the time