Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: *KEYBOARD WARRIORS*
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:06 pm 

i read a funny (sad but true) article in Zoom magazine the other week.

long story short..a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 owner wanted to update the clutch. guys on the forum recommended a performance clutch by brand and size i'm assuming.

heavy grinding noise came with the road test after install. when he questioned the guys on the forum about this grinding, their response was.....''grinding noise will be noticed for around 100km after install.'' LMFAO.

problem? the clutch was oversized for that model Galant, resulting in the new pressure plate grinding against inside of bell housing.

moral to this story? if you're not a mechanic, or not mechanically minded or dont have good trusted mates who are mechanics etc etc, dont take advice from people on any forum who claim to know what they're talking about.

at the end of the day, it's you're hard earned money and your ride, so look after it. And besides, those "keyboard warriors'' who are confronted about this f%ck up, will just laugh and move on.

:chaching:

Post subject: Re: *KEYBOARD WARRIORS*
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:14 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
I read a funny (sad but true) article in Zoom magazine the other week.

long story short..a Mitsubishi Galant VR4 owner wanted to update the clutch. guys on the forum recommended a performance clutch by brand and size I'm assuming.

heavy grinding noise came with the road test after install. when he questioned the guys on the forum about this grinding, their response was.....''grinding noise will be noticed for around 100km after install.'' LMFAO.

problem? the clutch was oversized for that model Galant, resulting in the new pressure plate grinding against inside of bell housing.

moral to this story? if you're not a mechanic, or not mechanically minded or dont have good trusted mates who are mechanics etc etc, dont take advice from people on any forum who claim to know what they're talking about.

at the end of the day, it's you're hard earned money and your ride, so look after it. And besides, those "keyboard warriors'' who are confronted about this f%ck up, will just laugh and move on.

:chaching:

+1 :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:05 pm 

Yeah, i agree. HE should have measured and checked his own measurements first. But credits to the guy for trying. I know a lot of guy's who want to know stuff about cars, but just don't want to get their hands dirty. Could have been the first repair/ modification he's ever done, other than change his oil. At least he gave it a shot, unfortunately, now he's learned one lesson a hard way.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:08 pm 

He failed before he started, Getting info from a online forum was his first mistake. If he had no idea in the first place, then don't attempt to fix the problem and take it to someone who understand it and can fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:38 pm 

Least he won't make the same mistake again (well, let's hope not).

Also, you are stupid if you believe everything on a forum 100 percent.

There is some good stuff on them, but you always have to do your own research and learn, there are no shortcuts, only use them as a guide.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:53 pm 

nothing wrong at all with getting opinions from forums, I do it all the time, the more research and the more questions I can ask, the better. You just can't take anything as gospel and remember that some replies will only be peoples opinions or second hand information, so it's always best to back it up with a visit to a workshop or a call to a professional, especially when it's something mechanical and/or expensive. My 2c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:09 am 
Old Digger

Depends on what forum as well. An example is NS. Never ever take any of the advice/opinions form that forum. It's full of school kids, drift full sik wantabe's. He should have checked fitment or crossed checked with the old item first anyhow. Typical Mitsushity (cough rubbish) mistake anyway. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:54 am 

spandex wrote:
He failed before he started, Getting info from a online forum was his first mistake. If he had no idea in the first place, then don't attempt to fix the problem and take it to someone who understand it and can fix it.
theres heaps of useful info on forums/internet and theres only one way to learn... just do it. i learned eveything i know now from reading alot of info on the net and getting out and doing it, all experiance counts.

only problem is alot of people dont think, i would say its more his fault than that of the people on the forum.

just like mydato said in last post, should of checked him self, but at leased he's got two clutch changes under the belt and can diganose the sound of a oversized clutch installed into the wrong gearbox...

haha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:27 pm 

johnzoku wrote:
spandex wrote:
theres heaps of useful info on forums/internet and theres only one way to learn... just do it. I learned eveything I know now from reading alot of info on the net and getting out and doing it, all experiance counts.

only problem is alot of people dont think, I would say its more his fault than that of the people on the forum.

just like mydato said in last post, should of checked him self, but at leased he's got two clutch changes under the belt and can diganose the sound of a oversized clutch installed into the wrong gearbox...

haha
x2 Pretty much everything I've learnt about working on my car has involved reading advice on forums. Its pretty easy to tell who the retards are and disregard their advice :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:18 pm 

MYDATO wrote:
He should have checked fitment or crossed checked with the old item first anyhow.
forget the rest - this is where he went wrong

despite the incorrect advice, if he had bought the wrong clutch and it being the wrong part in the right box ^^^ would have solved it