Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:58 am 

Hezath wrote:
Some very interesting points in this thread. I'm not going to get into the politics of it because I'm probably out of my depth.

But what hasn't really been touched on is... do you not feel that Holden's products were out of touch with the market? I've got some mates who've worked at Holden and the distinct impression that I have is that Holden Australia had no control over what happened (GM internationally called all of the shots) so I'm not blaming them directly. I'm going to sound like every other bogan here, but surely Australia is still Australian/blokey enough to want a locally made VH-sized rear wheel drive platform? I'm sure they would want it to have horrible options like diesels and multi-speed autos - but there would still be demand for that, right?
It's a funny one regarding out of touch. I've owned 4 Commodores and a HZ Premier and I would still buy them. Main reason is my missus loves them. We've got two kids and they are great for carting them around, the boot swallows shopping, prams and all manner of other sh1t that she can stuff in there. They're not that expensive that you care too much when the kids leave food everywhere, they have good power for overtaking, can tow trailers, boats etc... without a problem, they are cheap to service (because you can do 90% of it yourself as they aren't complex), good air-con, good heaters heck I could go on all day.

It's got me stuffed why all the yummy mummys want those hideous SUV's. I get the ride height is good but they're ugly, don't have the performance of a Falcodore and are expensive to service.

I understand why people want smaller cars as well, next to the VE SV6 is my Mazda 6 (2004). I do a bit of driving (surfing, work) so I wanted something that went easier on the juice, can handle winding roads and was a manual (as I hate auto's). Next to the Honda Integra it is one of the better FWD cars I've ever driven but if I could have one in RWD I would take it in a heartbeat.

We'll still be able to get RWD cars once Holden and Ford are gone, they'll just be imports, most likely American.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan