Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:48 pm 

ok so i've never brought my datto to a meet since ive owned it, and therefore never conversed/met any fellow datto heads (except for when buying/selling parts)...the thing with meets is they take a lot of organising, you need to keep the day free in advance if you plan on attending, you're car has to be in good working order because it needs to be driven all day for long distances, and people tend to pike (like me) :lol:

heres my idea...

Wednesday nights, 8:00pm, close to the city, mini-meet/meet & greet, at a servo/car wash, cruising optional if organised on the night.

let's break it down...

Wednesday night: Because its the middle of the week, hump day, it gives you something to break up the working week, and something to look forward to. Being a week night its likely that you wont have any plans so you dont need to keep it free in advance like you would if it was a weekend.

8:00pm: Not too early, not too late. Lets people get home from work, have a feed, & get cleaned up. It also means that if you only want to come down to the meet for an hour and go home you can still have an early night if you have work in the morning.

Close to the city: Pretty self-explanatory, central location means its accessible by everyone no matter where you live. Also means if you're car is running a bit rough you can still bring it down because you're not going to be driving all day or night.

Mini-meet/Meet & Greet: Small and informal gathering, lets the melbourne datsun community potentially become closer and stronger. Cars are about lifestyle and one of the parts of that lifestyle is having a yarn with like-minded people. Good chance to swap ideas, see each others cars in the flesh, and even a good place to collect parts off people that you've bought/sold over the forums if you live on opposite sides of town.

Servo/Carwash: This is just an idea and the first that came to mind. Lots of space, well lit, under-cover if it rains, out of the way of the general public. Servo means people can pop in and grab a snack/drink if they feel like it. Anyone else got a better idea? When i had my S15 we had a couple of mini-meets at the ikea rooftop carpark at richmond. great place for a meet up, lots of light, and you have the city lights in the background, good backdrop for photos, but theres no food/drink facilities (not necessarily a big deal though, and i think you have to pay for parking there)

Cruising optional: Some people might not be in the mood to cruise around in a big pack all the time, just want to take their car for a quick spin to the meet. But if a few people feel the urge to go for a bust, they can do so. A quick chat is all it takes and you're off.

so thats my idea that ive been cooking up in my head for a while. i spend a lot of time on the net on forums & blogs and i see alot of pictures from america and japan of people just chilling in a car park with their mates, and i always think how it would be cool if there were datto meets like that...just small and informal.

there you have it...so chime in with your own thoughts/ideas and hopefully we can get a regular thing going on if people are keen. lets brainstorm...

Seacrest out! :P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:29 pm 

I'd be up for a once a month meet. Like a first or secont wednesday or thursday of the month, close to a freeway, eastern is good. If it were weekly it may become a bit blazae. But a regular meet could be good. Even a schedualed weekend cruise. Every 2 months reguardless of weather. You would be bound to get at least 5 good cruises a year that way, more like 8 or 9 if it were schedualed for the first sunday of every month. Set meeting points at 3 or 4 locations. N, S, E and W.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:11 pm 

I like it anth, great plan of attack you got there, now just to find recruits.....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:31 pm 

Could always come to thursday nite pizza I guess, we've been doing it for 5 years or so
Its in st kilda which is a pritty central location

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:09 am 

I like the way your brain works... sounds like an awesome idea.

I do think that it would be hard to get numbers weekly though.
Probably better to go for monthly but fortnightly could also work.

Me Personally, I dont get much time for the datto's lately. A short blast into the city,
a chat about datto's and a short blast home, all on a regular basis would be ideal to keep
me in-touch with my datto's and the datto world.

Pencil me in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:45 pm 

Id be in for something like this i think that a once a month would work as we are all getting bussier these days and once a week might be a little hard to get too.
I like Don's idea some where off the eastern would be good.

Even the Thursday night pizza in Stkilda is a good one perhaps if we pick one thursday per month that we all agree on for a big dato owners meet and eat and then once a week for all the people who can get there weekly.

Im in for sure! :thumbsup:

**For Sale - Orignal Spec 1200 Coupe With Books**

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am 

I'm keen for a once a month thing, as I usually work on the car Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Somewhere as Anth suggested at a car park where you don't leave your car. I don't like going to the pizza thing in StKilda, because I don't have an alarm on the car yet (and it's not finished!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:00 am 

SR20Datsun wrote:
I don't like going to the pizza thing in StKilda, because I don't have an alarm on the car yet (and it's not finished!!!)
Pfft, like why would anyone would wanna bother to steal your Datto ... :giggle:

[ img ]
Thy Beast 1600
Datfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

Just park it at Andrew's place & walk the 5mins down to Pizza. Easy.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:31 pm 

WHOA!
Now that sounds ACE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:14 pm 

im up for a monthly meeting or dropping into pizza once a month.

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:26 pm 

yeah i think the thursday pizza night is its own thing and a mini meet is something a bit different, no need to merge the two (in my opinion)

so it seems people are interested in something like this, which is good. doesnt even have to be organised every month, it can just be whenever people feel the urge to meet up.

This quote by Andrew is exactly what im talking about and what i was hoping to achieve when i made the thread...
Quote:
Me Personally, I dont get much time for the datto's lately. A short blast into the city,
a chat about datto's and a short blast home, all on a regular basis would be ideal to keep
me in-touch with my datto's and the datto world.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:47 am 

I'm keen for a 'mini meet'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:51 am 

I'm up for this but woudl have to ride with someone who is local lol

I'd say mini meet since I eat Pizza at least once or twice a week! :roll:

yes yes I know fat c*nt blah blah blah.....

but anyways I reckon this would be a better option than the thursdays since most guys that go have their sort of set croud and with the mini meets it's who ever wants to go for a short drive or catch up and have a chat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:11 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I could always stay at a friend's place near the city so this could work well for me. Maybe even make it sort of near public transport, so that those of us who have recently blown our Datsuns up could always train it in if need be?

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.