Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

This is from the MSCA, but it will be mandatory for all clubs to abide by these new rules at all victorian circuits soon - Lurch.

From Lindsay Coleman of the MSCA.

3. NOISE AND CIRCUITS – 2010

You thought NOISE REGULATIONS were a problem in the past? Ha! Just wait for 2010!

While you are rebuilding your Machinery over the Christmas/New year period, spare some thought to overall noise management.

EXHAUST
INLET DUCTING
TYRE DRAG
TRANSMISSION/GEARNOISE
AERODYNAMIC DISTURBANCE.
All these items can and do add to the reading on a dB meter.

The first event next season is SANDOWN. New noise requirements will be in place by then. This is the new deal:

In addition to the Sandown dB meter, operated from a fixed position, and whose operator usually gives a 10dB margin, a MOBILE meter operated by the local council and/or the EPA will be rigorously applied.

This new meter will have a ZERO TOLERANCE policy at 75dB. When a breach is observed, a fine of $100’s will be given to the operator (SANDOWN). This fee will then be passed on to the applicable competitor.

So in addition to a 1 strike and your out policy, a fine of $100’s will arrive in the mail.

TAKE NOTICE OF THIS WARNING. WE ARE NOT KIDDING. Do NOT turn up with a setup marginally within the limit. You will NOT be able to back off to miss the second and/or third dB meter. They are MOBILE. You won’t know where they are.

SANDOWN, PHILLIP ISLAND and WINTON. Circuits have a ZERO noise before events begin. You may, until someone decides to stuff up the system, unload cars and drive to the Scrutiny Area. Otherwise cars will have to be pushed.

Since Phillip Island is the same level as Sandown at 75dB, you may as well give up trying to have a noisy exhaust wherever you think it is OK.

Since noise has become the single largest threat to the continuing survival of amateur motorsport in OZ, and since TAC has demonstrated the success of slogans to get you in touch with your commonsense, so too can the MSCA have a slogan.

DON’T BE A %@^WIT!

DON’T LET THE SIDE DOWN!

KEEP IT UNDER 75dB!

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:39 pm 

How far away from the car are db tests usually performed?? Are they set-up trackside? 75 db seems awfully low.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:46 pm 

My guess is that the 75db will be outside the venue boundaries.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:52 pm 
Old Digger

This is **** bullshit. You can't fart without some **** having a winge any more. **** this country is really starting to sh*t me.

96db is the law for my car on a public road so why should I be at 75db on a farking race track. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:09 pm 

MYDATO wrote:
This is **** bullshit. You can't fart without some **** having a winge any more. **** this country is really starting to sh*t me.

96db is the law for my car on a public road so why should I be at 75db on a farking race track. :evil:
Might as well keep the racing to the streets.
74db would any car even meet that on a track?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:26 pm 

96 db limit for road is measured at almost at the exhaust tip, 75 db for the track used to be measured at a much greater distance..surely they cant measure 75 db track limit at the exhaust tip???

sounds weird to me, no cars i've seen at various track meets for the last 10 years can pass if this is the case!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:02 pm 
What a joke!

75 db's is crazy low.

If people living near a track don;t like the sound, they shouldn't have moved near one.

:?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:49 pm 
Old Digger

spandex wrote:
MYDATO wrote:

Might as well keep the racing to the streets.
74db would any car even meet that on a track?
It's farked. I consider myself as one of the people that does the right thing (I go to tracks to race). I don't race on the streets. I used to when I was young and dumb but I have no interest in light to light drags. I could think of nothing more boring. That and there would not be a hole heap of competition I would think. Most of the turkey's that try to drag you have nothing but an exhaust on there Commondore with the farkin seat wound back. Cock heads!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:38 am 

I wonder who had the wonderful idea to build houses near a race track? like come on why do these ppl sook and complain about the noise when that's what they should have expected when they first moved in?????

I reckon the only track in Vic that is still able to overthrow those rules would have to be Calder, but then again that is only for c*cky c*nts in their Commonwhores to go wwwweeeeeeeeee in a straight line _______________

I agree with Brad, Damien and others, thins are way too restricted in this country and thing like this make it more difficult to try and do the right thing which is taking racing off the streets and onto an enviroment which is made for that purpose.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:42 am 

they just dont think do they :(

gee i wonder how people are going to lodge their protest against these rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:29 pm 

Never underestimate the power of dickheads.
Lots of people where I live (near a RAAF base) move in then complain about the noise (they buy a house under the flightpath or next to the bombing range).
Seriously guys it's only been there since the 1940s.

Like I said **** factor should not be discounted...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:49 pm 

SIX-TEN wrote:
I wonder who had the wonderful idea to build houses near a race track? like come on why do these ppl sook and complain about the noise when that's what they should have expected when they first moved in?????

I reckon the only track in Vic that is still able to overthrow those rules would have to be Calder, but then again that is only for c*cky c*nts in their Commonwhores to go wwwweeeeeeeeee in a straight line _______________

I agree with Brad, Damien and others, thins are way too restricted in this country and thing like this make it more difficult to try and do the right thing which is taking racing off the streets and onto an enviroment which is made for that purpose.
damiAn.

I own a house near sanddown (6-7km) away from it and I still hear the noise every weekend. but guess what...
I moved here and knew there was a track near by.
Same with buying next to the air port.. Its already there factor in surrounding area's before you buy a house..
World is full of dumb shiits...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:20 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

This is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure every running car I own is over 75dB. I've actually been thinking of getting a car up to track spec so that I will calm down on the street. There goes that idea, it was expensive enough already. I'll just find a quiet road and enjoy all 90dB of noise. This will just reduce the motor racing scene massively.
MYDATO wrote:
**** this country is really starting to sh*t me.
+1, I think it's time they decided where their priorities are, solving a problem or feeding their paycheques.

The fleet:

Australia:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port - daily
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport - cruiser

Europe:
'93 200SX - CA18DET - tourer
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 pm 

Guys,

I'm pretty sure 75dB track side is fairly easy to pass if your car is under the legal limit of 96dB for the street.
75db is pretty quiet but with sound level intensity readings, if the distance from the tailpipe is doubled (say from the original 500mm and 96db) to 1000mm or 1metre, the dB reading drops 6.02dB. SO if you are say 4 metres from the sound meter (which is a fairly long distance) the sound level would be around 75dB...So the further away from the car, the lower the sound value.

Either way, the rules are a bit on the harsh side and I reckon I agree with Brad. The councils and the government are a bunch of tools and they should all be strung up by their gonads and subjected to "the carpenters or brittney spears or abba or something" at 120db, and we can waterboard them at the same time. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:01 am 

My bad Damian. :wink:

anyways went to the historic racing on @ Sandown yesterday and sat with my old man just after Dunlop turn, you could tell that the formula Fords were running silencers on the exhaust but once the Mustangs and Chargers came out they were much louder, kept an eye out for any E P A and actually saw a guy with some sort of mic and a black box walking past over the fence track side.

not sure but it could have also been for TV or something else.