Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:13 pm 

Sadly I missed going, but there was huge amount of Datsun's running around the country side in Victoria last weekend, the Alpine Rally was on with around 120 entries, all 2 wheel drives, of which around 50 odd were Datsuns of some sort including around 30 1600's, Zed's, 240K's, 180B sss, Stanza's etc etc etc. It is only run every 2 years and the next one is 2011, This years event was won by ex Datsun works driver and Aust rally champion, in a 1600 grp G, Geoff Portman, driving a Commodore.

Did anyone go for a look, or had a run? I kept getting text's all weekend from a bunch of mates who were over having a look whilst I was stuck at work, buggers!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:51 am 

Hey mate.
Mark and I went over with Jesse's brother and met Jesse in Melbourne, then spent 3 days chasing the rally round the country side (everywhere we went we saw your lot :D ). The event was AWESOME! A real endurance event. We have decided to try and get a start in the R30 in 2011. I took around 1600 photos, but need to sit down and cull them a bit. Shame you had to work...
Cheers
Jase.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:09 pm 

Good stuff Jase, I dont think you guy's are the only ones keen for a run at the next one!! looking foward to seeing the photo's. Talking photo's I've got some more Grunge action shots for Jesse, but lost his email.....

I wonder If it was a silly car show with over 30 1600's and 50 odd Datsun's we would of got a better response??

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:58 pm 

yeah youre right bout the car show :shock:
i will get jesse's email for you as i dont have it right now. he was talkin about the photos, he is keen to see em.
as for alpine ones, i will sort thru them some time and may post a couple up.
after the weekend, everyone is talkin about going back for a run in 2011 ( if we can get a start)... you should join in too. we have even started the budget in preparation.....

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:54 am 

Thank's Jase, theres talk of a 'Tassie' team, like you said if they get accepted, we could share service crew's, equipment etc, smart move. As for a run, I better stay on the good side of Weldie, see if I can con a seat, or I could get my rego'd and put Jamie V in it, that would be interesting!! A 1600 has to be a lot more fun than a WRX?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:03 am 

much more fun any day of the week. and less chance of a crash :)
or a ride with weldy would be cool. cant beat that 80's colour scheme.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:35 pm 

Hi guys Sorry I missed your post re the Alpine it was a super weekend and a great event for all car buffs. As a mbr of the HRA [and NCCA] I was employed as an official over the three days-- day 1 located at the flying finish boards on SS1 the speed of the top 20 was incredible :thumbsup: .Day 2 saw my little group down at spectator point 4 absolute top spot with some vision now up on the Puremotorsport website. After the action we went to the service park at Orbost where we stirred anyone we knew :mrgreen: . Day 3 we ran the in control for the Nowa Nowa service which had the cars come thru twice. When Geoff Portman arrived I've never seen a bloke look so buggered but he had cemented his lead and went on to win.
The most amazing Dattos were the Green Z and the 240K abosolutely unbloodybelievable and both in the top 10. :hail:
If your interested in these types of events the next one is a rerun of the old BP rallly [late april early May] around 2000K's in 3 days and yes I'll be doing 3 or 4 controls using my R30.
Should you be interested in coming over for any HRA event please contact me as I can help with accommodation- servicing etc provided your in a DATTO. :D
Regards Pete

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:34 pm 

Cheer's Pete, It's real handy to have a contact 'on the ground'. Again it sounds like a ripper of a weekend. I've heard there will be a similar event in NSW on the 'off' year of the Alpine? We should get off our 'ring-gear' and do 2wd historic event down here in Tassie. Get off the boat, start the event in D'port and head west....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:21 am 

Hi bluerat a Historic 2wd event in Tassie would be awesome as you say get off the boat and head west. You'd find that you'd get a huge entry from the "mainland" if the event was promoted and given a date where there was not much on. In Vic there's BA this year :( . The date for the BP is the first week in May event starts Thursday and finishes in Ballarat on Sunday morning after some 2000K's won by a 180BSSS last time. If you go to the HRA website there's some fresh photos of the last event- even shows this old fart at a control with the mighty yellow Stanza on the left. Catch you soon Pete :thumbsup: