Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: New EPA rules coming in?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:09 pm 

Drivers face $1000 bill to fix up clunkers
• by: Michelle Ainsworth
• August 18, 2013 11:00PM

TENS of thousands of motorists will have to pay about $1000 each to have old bombs and hotted-up cars repaired under tough new emissions and noise controls.
Drivers who refuse to fix their cars would be fined and repeat offenders would face having their registration suspended.
The new regulations, expected to be introduced in December, are detailed in a report by the state's Environment Protection Authority into the effects of vehicle air and noise emissions limits.
The report says that in the first year about 8100 motorists would be expected to be caught for pumping out too much pollution, or being too loud.
If those motorists want to keep driving their cars, the EPA estimates that repairs and testing fees would be about $1261 each.
Over the next decade, the report says almost 81,000 cars are likely to break the regulations, with the average costs of repairs and testing over that period being about $1000 a vehicle.
New limits mean that most cars would be banned from pumping out exhaust smoke for "a continuous period of 10 or more seconds", and that their noise would be no more than five decibels above the level "established for the vehicle when it is certified".
"The beneficiaries of the regulations are the Victorian environment and the wider Victorian community, with reduced emissions leading to improved overall health and amenity outcomes," the report says.
The net value to the community was estimated at $249.3 million over 10 years, while the cost to motorists would be $56 million over the same period.
RACV public policy manager Brian Negus questioned the accuracy of the figures supplied by the EPA.
"My initial response is that we need to be very careful in looking at their stated benefits - they seem to be very high," Mr Negus said.
"We would support remaking the current regulations ... but as to extending it to some of the areas where there are huge costs involved, there needs to be very careful consideration of that."
Environment Minister Ryan Smith's spokesman James Martin said the updated regulations were aimed at excessively smoky or noisy vehicles.
"These are normally associated with poorly maintained clunkers, or hotted-up cars that contribute to poor air quality, exacerbate health issues or result in sleep disturbance," Mr Martin said.
The EPA report says new regulations would enable easier detection of polluting vehicles as the "EPA anticipates using remote sensing to increase the ability of detecting high-emitting vehicles".
It also expected restrictions on petrol vapour emissions at service stations would cost the industry more than $100 million in the next 10 years, a cost likely to be passed to motorists.
The report says emissions limits would be a better tool than mandatory testing, which would have seen 25,000 light commercial vehicle drivers forced to get special services, costing about $437 a year.

michelle.ainsworth@news.com.au

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 pm 

Interesting article I thought I would copy and paste in here.
The remote sensing seems interesting.. I wonder how that is going to work during peak hour?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:10 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

We were talking about this over lunch looks like things might get interesting for us modified car owners :(

http://datsun1200.com/modules/newbb/vie ... post494892

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:26 pm 

Even though I'm not in Victoria, I can see this sort of thing spreading to other states, maybe tightening of their rules if Victoria pulls this off.

So what is the certified noise level for a 1971 datsun 1600 ? And with a SR20DET ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:28 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Quote:
New limits mean that most cars would be banned from pumping out exhaust smoke for "a continuous period of 10 or more seconds", and that their noise would be no more than five decibels above the level "established for the vehicle when it is certified".
What about the cars that have been engineered at 96 dB? Will they just have to change their exhausts? Or will they be exempted? Lots of turbo cars blow smoke in deceleration, I've noticed VE SSs blue a fair bit too. This seems a bit unfair considering the minimal percentage of overall emissions cars contribute.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:32 pm 

Not overly cheap but.....

http://www.xforce.com.au/about-varex-re ... uffler.php

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:42 pm 

xfacta wrote:
Even though I'm not in Victoria, I can see this sort of thing spreading to other states, maybe tightening of their rules if Victoria pulls this off.

So what is the certified noise level for a 1971 datsun 1600 ? And with a SR20DET ?
Based on my potentially out of date information, it was 96dB, which was the standard for that car at that time.
Same goes with emissions.
If they change that, then I guess it's more money we all have to fork out.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:00 pm 

Should keep the Today Tonight / Current Affair viewers happy. I don't see how this really changes things from how they are now?

Drivers who refuse to fix their cars will be fined.
- Who doesn't 'fix' their car when they get EPA'd or a noise complaint/test letter?

Repeat offenders would face having their registration suspended.
- The only way you can be a repeat offender is if you rock up for your test (after being dobbed in) with your car being too loud more than once. If you're stupid enough to do that then I guess you kind of deserve it. Just keep those standard mufflers handy in case you get a letter. EPA keeps a sketch of your exhaust system on file after you've been there once, so if you fail don't go back there again with the same setup.

If you're unlucky enough to encounter two random roadside tests on separate occasions, well then that would suck. I've never had one of those, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:05 pm 

Hatchman wrote:
there illegal here in nsw

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:35 pm 

With engine transplants (like SR20DET in a 510) the vehicle is required to pass the latest emissions standards that applied when either the body or motor was manufactured. An SR20 turbo engined 1600 has to meet the same pollution standards as a 200SX.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:17 am 

180BSSSt wrote:
With engine transplants (like SR20DET in a 510) the vehicle is required to pass the latest emissions standards that applied when either the body or motor was manufactured. An SR20 turbo engined 1600 has to meet the same pollution standards as a 200SX.
When I got my car engineered, it had to make less than 96dB, and from memory, the carbon monoxide emissions had to be below a certain percentage (I seem to remember 0.4 or 4.0 or something ppm).
Regardless, it's quieter than 96dB and had less CO emissions.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:36 am 

sutho510 wrote:
Hatchman wrote:
there illegal here in nsw
Yeah I think they are in Victoria as well, but only if the loudest setting is over the limit. I was looking at one so I can keep it quiet when firing the car up at home but then opening it up once I am on the road.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:12 am 

Any adjustable system won't pass a test, but they are good for keeping a low profile on the streets. A mate of mine did an EPA noise test at an exhaust shop with a bolt-in silencer in his cannon muffler, they made him tac-weld it in otherwise they wouldn't pass it. Took him the rest of the day to remove it with a dremel cutting disc and an axle puller haha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 pm 
Site Admin

Storm in a teacup.
This won't effect 99% of us. Keep a reasonable exhaust on your Datto & you'll never have an issue.

http://www.lescollinsracing.com/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:48 am 

People driving around in flogged out Patrols/Hiluxs pollute more than a modified car could do in a lifetime. Yet out of all the people I know who have black tailgates from their fumes have never been defected or been given an EPA notice...

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun