Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:28 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: Tools
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:34 pm 

I have 1/2 inch drive Sidchrome sockets and a set of Sidchrome spanners, been very happy with them. The driver has seen pretty extensive use and is still good.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:15 pm 

:thumbsup: for Repco. Good value for money.
I havn't been impressed by Kinchrome, the cpanners seem thin and flex alot, and I stuffed a rachet the other day. The Geman stuff (Stahlwille, Hazet) is sweet but can make snap-on look cheep. Snap-on has a great warranty but would be annoying without access to a truck. Most of my tools are Teng and KC Professional, and also seem good value for money.

Just because brand X makes brand Y does not necessarily mean they are the same quality.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 am 

Kinchrome FTW especially the reverse gear spanner sets ( combination open end ratchet ring) Dad has been using them for years and has never broken one or rounded a nut or bolt, he still has the original 3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets he bought 10 years ago and they are still tight.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:51 pm 

I have a combo of Kinchrome and my grandpa's 40+ yo sidchrome tools in my collection. Good thing about my 3 kinchrome socket sets is the lifetime warranty. I have killed my 1/2" ratchet twice now but both got replaced no questions asked, same with my 3/8" Ratchet. I currently use my grandpa's sidchrome 1/2" one now though as my kinchrome one... I'm pretty hard on tools being in the wrecking business... I have also killed a set of the kinchrome ratchet spanner's (too lazy to get em replaced under warranty as i recon they'd question what i was doing with them for them all to break) so got a set of TTI ones and haven't broken one yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:18 pm 

Rat Dat wrote:
I'm pretty hard on tools being in the wrecking business...
At Least you use tools, i think the wreckers we use through work only own an oxy and a hammer :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 pm 

Yeah, I went the Kincrome route. I'm more than impressed. Should hopefully last a lifetime, and I have my Grandad's old 40y/o sidchrome set also. Which are unbreakable. Pitty they don't make stuff like they used to.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:12 pm 

i personally own sidchrome but i got most of it through work but if i was to buy my own i would have TTI not the repco stuff

1 B310 Sunny L18 Race Car
1 Stanza

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:17 pm 

RJB510 wrote:
Yeah, I went the Kincrome route. I'm more than impressed. Should hopefully last a lifetime, and I have my Grandad's old 40y/o sidchrome set also. Which are unbreakable. Pitty they don't make stuff like they used to.
Hahaha go Grandad's 40yo sidchrome tools :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:23 am 

Stahlwillie long series for spanners.....Snap on for screwdrivers (not soft grip) and ratchets/sockets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:25 am 

I've got a variety of stuff varying from quite cheap to quite good (metrinch, snap on, sidchrome, kinchrome etc) and the only tools I've ever had a problem with are my ratcheting ring spanners.
I forget the brand of them right now (they might be kinchrome) but the open ender end of them is crap, the ratcheting end is fine but the open ender end spreads easily, bit dissapointing.
Apart from that all my other tools, cheap rubbish (like really cheap, bought a whole stack of tools at Don Quixote when I moved to Japan...it's kinda like a super massive $1 shop lol) through to the good stuff has worked just fine.
I like metrinch though, my toolkit i carry in the Silvia at all times is a Metrinch set :).