Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:37 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:47 am 

does anyone know 110% what the legislation states in regards to have a fixed 4 or 6 point roll cage in a road registered vehicle??

confused about magazines like Fast fours, Street Machine etc running technical articles about roll cages, and how they're illegal to have, but then every full house registered car featured in the mag has one inside.

wtf?? :?: :?:

Last edited by DATO4 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:37 am 

Speaking to an engineer or the RTA is the only way to get a legit answer.

You used to be able to get a 6 point cage engineered, but my engineer said that's no longer possible (well on a factory delivered car anyway).

4 point is all that's left, but you need to remove the rear seat if it's more than a 2 seater, have the appropriate mounting points etc and padding on the bars.

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:32 pm 

booooo.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:07 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

ForumJockey wrote:
Speaking to an engineer or the RTA is the only way to get a legit answer.

You used to be able to get a 6 point cage engineered, but my engineer said that's no longer possible (well on a factory delivered car anyway).

4 point is all that's left, but you need to remove the rear seat if it's more than a 2 seater, have the appropriate mounting points etc and padding on the bars.
My 1600 was engineered back in the 90's, and was only engineered with a half cage and the rear seat removed. The engineers papers stated it was fitted with the front half "for offroad use only" and that this was not to be left in for road use. Can't remember the exact wording (and can't lay my hands on the certificate at the moment), but that was the gist of it. Pretty sure you also need to consider whether the half-cage intrudes on the front seat occupant's "headspace", so even that may not be able to be engineered if its too close.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:10 pm 

not willing to sacrifice two passengers for a roll cage in a four seater car. What happens if the cops dont like it? just a defect? Any fines?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:02 pm 

does NSW use the national code of practise for light vehicle mods? If so, download the NCOP and have a read, its got all the rules as well as measurements for headroom etc. I think its on the DOTARS website.

FWIW I have half cage and rear seats in my street car :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:06 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
not willing to sacrifice two passengers for a roll cage in a four seater car. What happens if the cops dont like it? just a defect? Any fines?
Defects, fines are optional but chances are you'll get them cops being cops.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:05 am 

6 pointers are a no-go for most cars - the standard A pillars in some cars actually encroach on the area set out but the roll cage regs!

For most cars, to fit a 4 pointer you'll have to remove the rear seat and get it engineered as a two seater. HOWEVER - I know a guy with a HR Holden bash car; it has a 4 point cage, was engineered and fully road registered as a 4 seater only a couple of months ago.

So, it is possible, you've just got to talk to the right engineer. :wink:

'63 Holden EH
'02 Grand Vitara
'91 EB Falcon
'91 EA Falcon S
'86 Range Rover
'98 Pulsar
'95 ZZR1100

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:55 am 

Tyrie wrote:
does NSW use the national code of practise for light vehicle mods? If so, download the NCOP and have a read, its got all the rules as well as measurements for headroom etc. I think its on the DOTARS website.

FWIW I have half cage and rear seats in my street car :D

NSW does not follow NCOP rules and regs. i asked an engineer about the pratice, if i could use this as a guidline to building my car. he said NSW is the only state that doesnt follow these guidelines.
He said any member of the public is entitled to print out sheets from the RTA in regards to specific sections of modifying light vehicles.... i.e roll cages, suspension, emissions etc. i'm pretty sure you have to go into your local RTA centre to get these, as not available on the website.

The NCOP is roughly 500 pages. i printed it off at work on night shift. lucky it wasn't my ink cartridge wasted :giggle:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:55 pm 

JohnnoEH wrote:
6 pointers are a no-go for most cars - the standard A pillars in some cars actually encroach on the area set out but the roll cage regs!

For most cars, to fit a 4 pointer you'll have to remove the rear seat and get it engineered as a two seater. HOWEVER - I know a guy with a HR Holden bash car; it has a 4 point cage, was engineered and fully road registered as a 4 seater only a couple of months ago.

So, it is possible, you've just got to talk to the right engineer. :wink:
Just addition to this. Doesn't really matter what car gets engineered, the rta can certainly take it away or make it void if they disagree with the engineers report.

A mates brother even got called up and questioned about an engineer that was passing alot of rotaries and his license was revoked so they were calling up all car owners with a certificate from that guy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:25 am 

Damn, that sucks... I've never heard of that happening before.

Still, if you're sensible, and it genuinely is close to the guidlines (there's no way I'd do it in the back of a R33 coupe or 4+4 240Z for instance - I'd just remove the rear seats and engineer/rego it as a 2 seater) then I'd say you'd get away with it most of the time. Especially if you run it close to the pillars and have a ventetian in the back.

Anyway, that aside, my point was that it is doable legally, it depends on your car. I'm pretty sure they work it out from the point where the seat base and backrest meet, so maybe if you lower the seat you may get more clearance? Makes a good argument for a proper race seat. :D

'63 Holden EH
'02 Grand Vitara
'91 EB Falcon
'91 EA Falcon S
'86 Range Rover
'98 Pulsar
'95 ZZR1100

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:53 pm 

DATO4 wrote:
does anyone know 110% what the legislation, traffic laws etc states in regards to have a fixed 4 or 6 point roll cage in a road registered vehicle??

confused about magazines like Fast fours, Street Machine etc running technical articles about roll cages, and how they're illegal to have, but then every full house registered car featured in the mag has one inside.

say what ??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:34 pm 

Nationsal Code of Practice - Design Guide.

For one off Cages it appears that if they are made to these requirements, then they should be legal.

However it does state, no intrusion bars along side seats is allowable.

Page 39 onwards:

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/ ... 011_v2.pdf

'Olds kool!'

'Who's your Dato'

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm 

elias wrote:
DATO4 wrote:
does anyone know 110% what the legislation states in regards to have a fixed 4 or 6 point roll cage in a road registered vehicle??

say what ??

everyone else who replied seem to understand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:33 pm 

had to sacrifice the rear seat in the end. Car will now be registered as a 2 seater. This is only due to the fact that you cannot have passengers in the rear seat if a taxi bar is fitted to the roll cage. Was always going to use a taxi bar for the harnesses, so no option really.

There is a provision in the latest NSW guidelines for allowing a car with a four point cage to be registered as a four seater, but the cage has to be designed very specifically.