Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:59 pm 

Some good memories there.
Welcome to the group and thanks for the contribution!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm 

Hi "Nismoborn",

What is your name?

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:31 pm 

Hi there Nismoborn, Derek here. Remember me? I'm sure I'll remember you if you'll give us your name. I'm in the process of trying to reconstruct my early motorsport days so would love to chat with you. I recently reconnected with Trevor in space parts, I reckon you'll remember him. Good times!
Nismoborn wrote:
Hi All, new to the group, just found this old thread. I was lucky enough to have done my motor mechanic apprenticeship for nissan motor company australia at the company service garage in sturt street south melbourne. Incorperated in the garage was the rally team. At the time they were a very busy group of guys, myself and fellow apprentice were lucky enough to be enlisted as, what they called "Gofers" which meant , go get this, go clean that up etc. Being in such close quarters to all the works cars, mechanics and on occasion the drivers and howard marsden was just a blast. Please all, I hope you dont think I am bragging, but this thread brought back a lot of memorys to me, and this company and these cars are part of my history. …

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:52 pm 

Datsunrally wrote:
Hi "Nismoborn",

What is your name?

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:03 pm 

Hi, Derek. My name is peter elias, I do remember trevor. I also worked with george smith for the last 10 years. Don't remember your name though? but that dosen't mean I wont know you, You will have to jolt my memory. Do you remember Ian Brown,Nick watt, john peel, and Cyril Boots.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:11 am 

Hmm, funny, I don't think I remember your name either. I certainly remember tall Nick (in fact I've been looking at a photo of him with us on the '77 Southern Cross and couldn't remember his name, so thanks for that). I remember Cyril Boots and Ron Hoppner and John Williamson and the service manager whose name just won't come to me at the moment. I'd been one of the service advisors and then became the first mechanic for the team and then Howard turned up a couple of weeks later and then Bill Evans joined for a while and then Barry Nelson and then Jamie Drummond. And then we moved out to Braeside where others came and went and we ended up as a race team at South Dandenong with Jamie, George Smith, Peter Anderson, Dennis Watson, Barry Bray and me until we all went our own ways at the end of 1985. Ha, that's the short story!
There's another face in that pic with Nick that I half remember. I wonder if that could be you. If you can give me an email address I'd like to send it to you and then we can compare notes off-line. Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:59 am 

Now I think I remember you. The service manager's name was John Compte, I remember hoppy and of course willy. Do you remember Felix ?, he is now with toyota motor company, he is their training officer. Phillip Dicknson has been with ford motor comp for about 30 yrs in there service garage. Colin Mcglocklin is hyaundai's Dealer trouble shooter and good old george smith is working at frankston toyota. George remembers a lot from those days. I also remember Gary Brown, karl gilnik, Abdul (mick palalis), shane Rogers, steve ? he had a 1600 wagon. Did you have that 1600 rally car (pale green or white ?) I remember it belonged to one of you team guys, nice car. Would you have any picks of the short wheel base patrol you guys built for the Hattar mally rally. If I remember correctly it had 710 running gear no front diff and bill evans drove it and won his class, great memorys. My email is coastalman1961@gmail.com .Cheers