Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: who reads what
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:08 pm 

just a question out of the blue but what are the fave car mags of all our dattophiles, zoom, fast fours,hot fours (crap in my opinion)etc etc. & why u luv some & hate others.just a discussion point! 8)

Formally: 510 L22B twin webber terror
510 FJ20et (510 FJ)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:16 pm 

i used to buy fast fours alot but in sick of seeing plastic fantastic cars with stock motors k&n air filters and 3" exhausts.
so now its zoom al the way except if a see a datto in the other mags.
hot fours has an old school mag out at the moment witch i bought a couple of datto's and a few rotors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:23 pm 

Zoom is about the only one i read regularly because the cars are built to go.....

I flick throguh through the others untill i find a cool datto or maybe a decent tech article but that aint very often....

Off topic a bit i recently read a book called "Dude Where's My Country by Michael Moore".....good book and highly recommended

Wyman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:07 pm 
Guru

They are all getting too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis, so I don't bother :(

graemes@internode.on.net

Last edited by Nissanman on Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:27 pm 

ARN (Aurtralian Rallysport News) too, always a few dats in there and plenty of event notices etc.
All the mags seem to be full of ricers etc. .....and i could get a new set of plugs for the price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:49 pm 
Used to read Fast Fours but yes, it got boring. I read Zoom and also MOTOR magazine. I've subscribed a few times to Autospeed.com They review new cars, technologies and are chockers with DIY automotive projects. My girlfriends grandfather also gives me his old copies of Unique Cars, which is about as old school as you can get :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:10 am 

My main fav is "High Performance Imports" and "Zoom" comes in second. And a random "SP33D" mag here or there. Train rides to the city are boring, and they past the time uber fast. I get HPI cause I'm a rb nut, and I get zoom cause they get bundled with HPI for free sometimes. Speed mag cause its better than anything else when there are no issues of hpi or zoom (speed did feature a 240z vs 350z article, was a good read).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:34 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

"Just Cars", and "Trading Post". I'm still looking for that good, cheap Datsun Fairlady or 2000 Sports to do up (Tell 'im 'e's dreamin' )...........

And occasionally "Zoom" if it has an interesting or relevant technical article for the older enthusiast trying to learn about this new-fangled turbo - EFI stuff befor he attempts to put a Z18 in his datto.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:23 pm 

i read all of my old, old fast 4s and hot 4s mags, they actually have some good datto articles. When i say old i mean they are talking about the new Hi-Tech FJ20...

Mazda 121 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:09 pm 

i used to read ZOOM religiously, but Martin Donnon is an opinionated fucknut. stupid claims like "my 1JZGTE makes 240rwkw with the std CT12s" is horseshit - what dyno is he using? was it calibrated correctly? and after bagging out the 7MGTEs, he goes and buys one and raves about it. and that's just the start of it.
and all their RWkW figures are rounded up to the nearest 50.

i only read Street Machine, Australian Hot Rodders and Rodders Digest now. at least the articles are well written and not biased / contradictive.
and i learn some great engineering tips from them.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:49 pm 

i read Speed alot these days, they have a lot of article dealing with how to modfy your car and stories on car clubs. they try to do stories on a wide variety of cars which is good.

i use to read Wheels but i stoped doing that its like everytime i pick up the mag at a newsagents it hasa 5or 6 page spread on the Xr6 Turbo and how good it goes! this is the same magazine which was given a Xr6 Turbo by Ford to use at Targa tasmania last year, so i guess you can see the connection aye.

btw i hate Hot 4's but love the girls they show in it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:14 pm 

pro240c wrote:
i used to read ZOOM religiously, but Martin Donnon is an opinionated fucknut. stupid claims like "my 1JZGTE makes 240rwkw with the std CT12s" is horseshit - what dyno is he using? was it calibrated correctly? and after bagging out the 7MGTEs, he goes and buys one and raves about it. and that's just the start of it.
and all their RWkW figures are rounded up to the nearest 50.

LOL - he's a short-arse too.... :P

L28ET 240Z
RB25DET WGNC34 Stagea RS-FourV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:09 pm 

my hot4's sub just ran out but i don't think i'll bother renewing. i just got a little tired of seeing fully sick backward hatters attatching as much aftermarket crap as possible to their mums cars. maybe its me but i really can't see the improvement that a boot mounted hills hoist can really make to a daewoo.
just cars and just parts are good regular reads, fairly cheap as well. i've recently discovered the japanese restorer mag and although there's no modified stuff in it, there are heaps of good articles inside. last but not least is australian muscle car. no dattos in there but some awesome aussie factory muscle and historic race cars from way back. i'll step down from my soap box now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:43 pm 

you selling that soapbox...? i need another one.....

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.