Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:00 am 

Just recently managed to buy a S2 bluey, came with 240K carbie, 3 1/2" exhaust and extractors, which is pretty much the basis of where I wanted to start. now I'm just looking around for a few ideas to get a little bit more power out of the car. My budget isnt huge at the moment, probably around $750 for the time being, but I was just wondering if there was anything around that would substanially improve the performance for that price, possibly a tune or anything along those lines!! If anyone has some idea's it would be great to hear them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:30 pm 

put that money into lowered springs, good swaybars and good shocks and for that money you might just scrape thru doing it yourself (a pair of spring compressors costs $9.95 from supercheap).

a weekend of work later and you'll be able to take corners a lot faster - to me that's more important that straight line speed and the car will "feel" faster...

other than that, maybe a 32/36 weber and a mild cam (32/72 is a sweeeet grind, but if you're not into lumpy idles, then a 28/68 cam is a nice choice for a bit of brapbrapbrap).

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:58 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. I've heard that S13 coil overs are almost a bolt on for a S2 bluey, is that true?? I've got a feeling that there may also be a problem with fuel lines/pump or the car just needs a tune. Starting from cold, the car just wont idle for about 10 minutes and there seem to be some quite large flat spots, specially at speeds of 100K+. The car diesels quite badly and quite often shoots flames! Any ideas? I'd like to get it running as well as possible before attempting any cams or any other engine work!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:12 pm 

say what, did u say 3 1/2in exhaust??? i hope its a typo...
sounds like u should be spending some cash on a decent tune before anything like u said. other than that good lowering job always works a treat, but yeah before any mods, maybe u should check for anything else that needs attention, if any does??

anyway good luck with it, always good to see another datto owner..

Current Projects: vk v8, street/club car
71 510

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:13 pm 

i'd say the carby is out of whack at a guess, shooting flames is a sign of rich running! the run on is caused by a lotof things, bad timing being the biggest culprit.

NFI about the coilovers though sorry.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:18 pm 
DANGER ! DANGER !

Spend that money on a good tune-up! Go somewhere that knows how to tune up a DATSUN!!!
V8 Commonwhore Grease Monkeys Do NOT count !!!!!

Forget about more power at the moment! Fix what is wrong with your motor first! Then Cam it up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:49 pm 

S13 coilovers are not an 'almost bolt on' job. http://www.910bluebird.com has a detailed page about fitting them to the bluey.

S15 Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:15 am 

tune it is then! anybody have any personal favourite tuning places in Adelaide?! I have no idea where to start looking!