Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Help needed please.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:57 pm 

Need some ideas as to which path to take .The wife and me both bought Datsun 1600's.Now hers is running a SR 20 de and 5 speed.My car has never been set up to run the L 20 b twin SU's Trimatic T bar auto that came with it.Her car will not take too much too register.My car has never had the motor/ transmission set up to run.The wife is in a wheel chair and can drive Autos OK and Series 80 manual land cruisers but not too well.My question is if the SR20 manual could be too much for her to drive.I have though of putting a 4 speed auto in it .Then I can get her manual pedal box and build mine up as a manual.Or would you think leave the SR 20 as it is and build mine up as a L 20 auto and give her mine.Now my car needs a complete resto bare metal rotisserie job and may take 2 years to build.She is not too worried about which Datsun she gets as both cars will be painted the same and externally will look identical.I am just trying to minimise the work load because both cars will eventually get the full resto.Once my car is rebuilt than the SR20 Datsun goes on the rotisserie too.Our aim is safety first and performance later.
DatsEZ

Post subject: Re: Help needed please.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:58 am 

It's really a decision that you have to make about which car you want on the road first and who you want to drive it.
Fitting up an auto (SR20?) is fairly straight forward and you could get that done pretty quickly. Converting it back to manual is fairly straight forward too.
L20 Auto's work well too. Not sure how easy it is to find an auto these days what will fit up to an L series, unless someone has something available?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:06 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

How much bigger is the SR20 auto than the Datsun auto? Transmission tunnel size will probably be the hardest hurdle to overcome. Datsun autos are probably not plentiful but are basically worthless - someone will have one in a parts car somewhere.

Whichever way you go though, try and find an original 1600 column shift auto setup. I reckon that'd be awesome if you could run that and have it all working properly :thumbsup:

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:12 am 

Yeah with the L 20 motor I have there is a T bar auto bolted up to it. I am presuming it's a 200 B unit.The old 1600 units are different I think.My car has the bigger tunnel for an Auto already but the L20 B was never fitted to my car.The previous owners had contemplated fitting this up but never aquired the correct 1600 sump.They weren't too smart as they sat the motor in place sitting on the oversize sump and had marked the cross member where they intended to cut it to install the motor.???????.Yeah not real smart.The car also had Twin flat top SU carburettor's but these are not fitted.I am not sure if the carburettor's are set up to run with the auto and I don't even know how to set them up either.Don't know how the kick down for the auto works in relation to the carbies.The story I got was the motor was from a 200 B SSS coupe.I always thought that they were only bought out in 5 speed manuals but I may be wrong.My other option is I have a Webber twin manifold and may try webbers if they work with autos.The wife now says leave the SR 20 DE in her car and get it registered.Its going to be an interesting build for the L 20 Auto.Obviously I will get me a couple of years driving the manual SR.Then maybe the wifes hip operation may get done soon so maybe I can build my car up as a manual too.Thanks great input so far.
DATSEZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:23 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

200B SSSs did indeed come with an optional auto.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:55 pm 

This should probably go in rust repair exterior .Just wondering if you were to replace a short 1/4 rust repair panel does that give you enough access to to do a boot/ trunk drop off panel as well. My rust repair panels would probably cut in about 50 mm above the line of a drop off.Do you guys 'n'gals think that a bigger panel would be a better option.?Just a side note saw a purple 200 B in my neck of the woods.I still like my 1600 better.
DatsEZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:13 pm 

Not too bad it's got potential.that makes 4 datto's in my neck of the woods including my wife's and mine.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.72 MiB | Viewed 4165 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:31 pm 

Phone pic .Just doing some bull sh*t jobs now like change steering wheels and repairing a steering column shroud.This the bottom so I epoxied a patch on the inside.The last coat of epoxy needs sanding flat .I think once I rough up the surface and key it ,a coat of black paint it should come up ok.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:40 pm 

inside patch

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm 

Outside just needs sanding and paint

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:45 pm 

I changed the steering wheel to a decent size .The old one was one of those bull sh*t small ones.I think the Datsun wheel I put on Is a 240k one.Feels right to me.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 4164 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:52 pm 

This is the old one I took off its too small in diameter with no power steering.I like the 240K unit better.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpeg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 4164 times ]