Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:17 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: The Confession Booth
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 am 

RevHead001 wrote:
Stacked my kids BMX the other day. Massive wipe out too. I'm too old for this sh*t.
haha good one :rofl:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:23 am 

Wellll .... seeing as I started this thing quite a few years ago, may as well close it out, as I'm out of the Datsun game. Still think the 1600 is the BEST car EVER, but that is not the point.

Havn't learnt that much it seems...... selling my house and there is a heating oil tank around the side which I had to move because of a drainage problem I was working on..... there was at least 100 litres of oil in it, hadn't been used for years, but when I felled the tank (and broke a breather pipe for the toilet, of course) - I remembered an old mate of mine, Simon, who used to deliver heating oil in Canberra. I was his offsider on the odd occasion and sometimes after he filled up someones tank he would put a few gallons into his truck (at their expense, of course :hail: ) because 'heating oil is pretty much diesel'.

So I did a bit of research on the internet webby thing to confirm .. and yes, heating oil is pretty much low grade diesel! Result! So i fed my Hilux 3 litre diesel (not D4D, we are talking old technology here, but it is fuel injected :( ) the odd 5 or 10 litres of heating oil mixed in with normal diesel and things seemed to go ok for a while, until I was heading down the eastern freeway and experienced a sudden but intermittent loss of power. :( Which never went away. :( :( ..... I'm up for a set of injectors and a new diesel pump, which will be in the region of 3K by the time its installed. Brilliant! Could have saved $100 but its gonna cost me 3k. Good deal!

All I have learnt from all my mistakes is that I'm never, ever going to learn!

Good luck to all you enthusiasts. Go Datto!

Cheers, Neil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:40 pm 

Sad to see you departing neil,
has Al still got the 1600?

Never give up on that online chess dream!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:20 pm 

Hey Dan

Thx for reply ... good to hear from you. :)
Al sold all his Datto stuff a couple of weeks ago. reluctantly, but it had to go because the house is sold and it has been cluttering our driveway and garage for at least 5 years. These projects can take time to come to fruition (or to die!). Anyway he is heavily into bicycles these days which (don't laugh!) is a good thing. regards to Waz and yourself.
Maybe catch you one day!

Go Datto!

Cheers, Neil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:51 pm 

An expensive mistake that i made just yeaterday was using my brothers car battery, i ended coming home to some nice dints kicked into my 120y. grrr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 pm 

Ouch poor 120y

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:37 am 

When i was 19 i had a 1972 buick skylark 4dht that i put a 430/th400 into. I came home from work and decided to adjust the shifter linkage (column shifter said i was in N when i was in Drive) so i drove up on cAr ramps and crawled under to adjust it. I loosened the bolt and moved the rod down a hair, snugged the bolt, and checked that everything was aligned. Satisfied with myself, i crawled under the car to tighten the bolt. When i did this, i torqued on the shifter, which released the parking pawl. In my dumb youth i had neglected to chock the wheels, so 2100kg of doom started its descent. My first action was to reach up grab the engine crossmember, holding the car from further movement. This worked, while i shouted for help. My arms were rapidly tiring, though, and with nobody within earshot, i had to do something. I put the trans back in park and then flattened myself to the asphalt. The car ramps combined with the hill on my drive were too much for the parking pawl, so the buick started to roll, its clacking making the moment even more ominous. Luckily for me i am a slight built man and the frame cradle didnt crush me as it passed over. It still gouged up my chest and side of my face. I sat up and watched my buick, clacking like a teletype, continue down the street until it hit a curb. I couldnt believe i was still alive. Needless to say, no more work was dobe on the car that day, and i ALWAYS chock the wheels :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:47 pm 

Someone I know (who went to Tafe with me in their Light Automotive class :? ) brings his shitty V6 2x4 Triton into Tafe one day (not a Datsun thankfully) and says that it rattles when it's started up. Check the dipstick - no oil. When was the oil last checked - never. How long has it been rattling - several months. Must've still had some oil in it for it to have survived, but how it survived some serious use/abuse with no oil on the dipstick is beyond me. Some "mechanic".

Unsurprisingly he stopped showing up a few weeks after that. Also, I say lucky it's not a Datsun not only because of that (and the other general clueless **** things he did), but he rolled it a couple of months later. Again. But this time terminally. It was coming down the Moonbi ranges (in case anyone has heard of them - in NSW, between Armidale and Tamworth). Incredibly fast. With 5 people in it (single cab). And he was pissed off his face. How everyone got out with minor injuries I cannot comprehend - the cab was about knee high. :shock:

Idiot bought it back off the wreckers for $700 too... :roll: Still drove though, once the roof and doors got out of the way :giggle:

Rusty http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33866
The Red Rockethttp://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33869

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:15 pm 

Now that I think about it, I have a couple of minor ones from my work experience days.

Me and my school mate ended up doing work experience at the same dealership, which was an interesting surprise (but irrelevant seeing as we never worked together - obviously). However, on one occasion, I remember looking up at a lot of shouting and notice a near brand new Mazda BT-50 covered in oil... For some reason my mate had put the trigger lock on the oil gun (I don't even know why you would want that, but anyway), and had somehow gotten distracted. Que oil all over engine bay, windscreen, mate, mechanic, floor, hoist, bench, tools, toolbox - everything pretty much.
Needless to say, he didn't get the job.

I, on the other hand, did pretty well on my traineeship. Except on the last day... At 4:55PM. I was putting a couple of spare bolts away in this small toolbox on the bottom of a trolley that the mechanic had specifically for that purpose. It was a 3 drawer cabinet. Open the bottom drawer - not bolts. Open the middle drawer - not bolts. Open the top draw - CRASH!!!!!! Plastic clips, washers, nuts, bolts, and all manner of small parts cover about 2 bays. I tried to pick it all up but I didn't have time before the workshop had to be shut. So 99% of the mess was left all over the floor for the poor apprentice to pick up on Monday...
I didn't get that job, either..

Rusty http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33866
The Red Rockethttp://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33869