Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:59 pm 

Any one in here? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:37 pm 

Hello, yeah im in here :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:30 pm 

Hi, I am here too. Where in Tassie are you from Datto72_1600? I am in Howrah. Rallying this weekend in Launceston in the first Tas Rally Series event 5/3/05.

Love to go cruising but I mainly work weekends (except when rallying) and I know Deane can't (well not with this Datsun 1600 race car as I have heard it is very loud).

Love to hire Baskerville again during the week sometime soon, but need to source another rotor button for my sr20 (not getting many replies re my post).

Anyone else out there in Hobart area?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:20 pm 

Hey Mark :D

I got my car registered today :twisted:

Dyno again next Monday, track on Saturday the 12th 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:17 pm 

Hey im in launceston, my car is almost ready another week maybe less :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:33 pm 

Hey,

Deane - who else is going to the track? (hjp?) also do you want any slow moving witch's hats out there to make you car look faster? :D (as if it needs that! :roll: ) i could take the corolla back out

mkyle- no luck with the sr20 yet?? try:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sr2 ... =129381372

no idea if that link will work...if not go to www.groups.yahoo.com and sign up (free). then find the sr20transplants group (search?). they should know.

Anthony.

ps got of my arse a little bit with the datto. the roof (inside and out) has been etch primed. most of the 'floor' area has been welded so only need to weld from underneath and then can paint that area which will see the 'center' section of the car except the sills done...trying to get all the rust fixed, stitch/seem welded and the etch primed. after that roll cage. but time is sparse with 5 subjects (overload) at uni and a full time job (in accounting, except when im at uni) plus a few hours still at coles on sundays!!

1970, Datsun 1600 - waiting rusteration
1989, Corolla SX - daily driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:07 pm 

sr1600 wrote:
Hey,

Deane - who else is going to the track? (hjp?) also do you want any slow moving witch's hats out there to make you car look faster? :D (as if it needs that! :roll: ) i could take the corolla back out
The more the merrier I say

Quote:
ps got of my arse a little bit with the datto. the roof (inside and out) has been etch primed. most of the 'floor' area has been welded so only need to weld from underneath and then can paint that area which will see the 'center' section of the car except the sills done...trying to get all the rust fixed, stitch/seem welded and the etch primed. after that roll cage. but time is sparse with 5 subjects (overload) at uni and a full time job (in accounting, except when im at uni) plus a few hours still at coles on sundays!!
I found a guy up North who has a few parts for sale, is there anything you need in particular (I asked about the lower grill trim for you but no luck)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:19 am 

I should be at the track on that saturday then :D

If you talk to the person up north im interested in:
Bonnet
drivers door

also (not AS important)
front and rear bumpers (if still crome and ok cond, painting the ones i have)

but the trim for above (on bonnet) and below grille are the only things i DONT have :(

....started some welding under the datto tonight...(im mean i was studying hard :D )

ALSO
how the hell did you get your car rego'd? full rego? special interest?
have you done any changes? (like a full exhaust system!)

have you done the injectors for this dyno run??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:39 am 

Hi All. Anthony, still no luck finding a rotor button yet for the sr20, but I have been spending a bit of time on the rally car lately, so I haven't had time to look. Passed scrutineering last night, rally in Launceston this Saturday.

Assuming the car is still in one piece at the end and we have no major jobs to do on it, I will start to concentrate on the race car more. Still awaiting the orange car to be painted, but I am in no hurry at the moment as I have other things to do. Car is fully ready for painting, all masked up, just awaiting the spray painter to get round to it.

Have fun at Baskerville!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:32 pm 

sr1600 wrote:
If you talk to the person up north im interested in:
Bonnet
drivers door

also (not AS important)
front and rear bumpers (if still crome and ok cond, painting the ones i have)
I'm sure he has/had all these things, I'll let you know.

Quote:
ALSO
how the hell did you get your car rego'd? full rego? special interest?
have you done any changes? (like a full exhaust system!)

have you done the injectors for this dyno run??
SI rego and a pre '72 built date.

I had to make an exhaust baffel and fit a handbrake.

Injectors and fuel pump are in. Dyno is Monday morning 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:30 pm 

Mark - How'd the weekend go up north? the car in one piece?

Deane - getting in early but howd the dyno go? still on for saturday at basky? have you been in contact with the person up north re parts?

under SI rego are you only allowed to drive it 52 times a year? (on the road)

Datto72... hows the progress on your 1600?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:22 pm 

sr1600 wrote:
Datto72... hows the progress on your 1600?

She's on the road mate just enjoying it now :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 am 

Had way too much fun in the rally (any more and it would be illegal), maybe more so than anyone else, as I hadn't driven in a rally for over 5 years, and so really missed it.

I tell you all, if you love racing, but get bored with driving around the same track, rallying is definitely the way to go. So much variety, you get heaps of kilometres under your belt, you don't have to wait around very much (like on a club day), you see a unique part of the State and you get to fang the buggery out of that poor poor engine. I love it. More, more, more. Better than sex? Maybe not, but pretty close. Worth every cent.

Only major problem we had was with the rear brakes (they were staying on - will check master cylinder soon and complete brake system) for the first half of the rally. At the beginning of one stage, we could hardly get off the line, so lost quite a lot of time. Also the engine felt like a slug, but we think it was the rear brakes holding us back.

We did a temporary fix half way through the rally and from then on didn't have any brake problems. Really enjoyed the event from then on as the car handled and stopped like a dream. Still doesn't seem to have enough horsepower though. Will look into that a bit more soon. Not happy with the injectors (there is a major hole when I stomp it from nothing), and the car doesn't seem to want to rev. Think compression ratio may be too low (can't remember what it has at moment) or timing not right.

Finished 9th outright (17 starters, think 10 were 4wd turbos), 3rd in class, but to be fair there were a few who didn't finish through mechanical problems. One Corolla Leven rolled , but that was really it for accidents. There were two other 1600's, we came 2nd out of the three. Haven't seen finial results yet though, but we were happy with the car for our first event. Few problems still to sort out, but at least the car is straight.

Next rally - 16th April in Burnie. Anyone interested in servicing or spectating are more than welcome to tag along with us. Should be at least 3 1600s in the next rally. Next rally after that is on the 4th June New Norfolk area. Perhaps Deane and Anthony, you guys might want to come along for a look??

PS: Getting closer to getting a rotor button for the SR20 race car. Making calls today to order part in. Fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:51 pm 

good to here Mark. will try and pop out and see a rally at some stage...maybe one down south. (could you remind me its on a couple of weeks in advance as i will forget!)

datto72... car looks in good shape :D well done on the paint job...i think mine will be a bit more 'back' yard in the quality! first time and mainly racing orientated...are you going to do a engine conversion at all? whats the current motor (think it is an l18 of the top of my head??)

dean...howd the dyno go?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:57 pm 

sr1600 wrote:
dean...howd the dyno go?
Good :wink:

We left the boost as it was so only gained a few kw extra, now 196atw. Max power is now @154kmph where is was previously @176kmph

A/F ratios are sorted now so I can use all it's got on Saturday 8)

S/I rego is only 52 times per year. You don't really think I'm going to use the thing to go shopping in do you? :lol:

No news on the parts I only just found his phone number I'll let you know.