Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:33 am 

Hi guys.. im wondering what modifications I would need to have in place to upgrade my 77 260Z.

what i really wanted was to run a more modern disc brake setup and the ability to possibly change to a 4 piston setup.. decent suspension but nothing too expensive.. another reason was to also to get a more modern stud pattern/offset combo so i can run some newer rims..

does anyone sell brake/suspension/strut upgrade/conversion packages for 260s and how much would it be approx? im looking around 2-3K.. is that too little? ive checked a few sites like datrat but htey dont seem to have anythign for 260s

also, where could i buy a headlight conversion kit from sealed beam H6024 to a gas discharge? i can get one of these from ebay in the states but might work out to be too much.. its 30 US$.. nto sure on shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2456985366

1971 KPGC110 Skyline 2000GTR, can you be my other wife?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:07 am 
Guru

You can bolt on a 4 piston front calliper from a Toyota Hilux I think.
Trouble is you will still have solid rotors and the cast iron callipers a VERY heavy :roll:
The next step is to fit a vented rotor/calliper combo from the same donor.
I have converted the rears to R31 disc and rotor.
The fronts are VT V8 Commodore rotors and callipers.
These callipers are sliding 2 piston but they are alloy.
No shortage of replacement parts either :wink:
I used King springs on all 4 corners, lowering the 240 by about 25mm.
You can get bolt on wheel spacers (from the States) which allow you you to fit wheels with the more modern 40+mm offsets still with the 4 x 114.3 pcd.
Don't know if they are legal in Oz though.
As for HID kits, check out this site: -

http://www.xenall.com.au/index.html

Be careful though, HID is not all it is reported to be :roll:

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:16 am 

tenletters,

2-3K on suspension is a lot. I'll be upgrading mine with Stewart Wilkins (www.smmotorsport.com) bits: all new bushes, tie rods, balljoints, adjustable lower control arms and adjustable castor rods and it comes out to be around $1400. Then all you need is lowering springs (pick your fav brand) and some adjustable shocks.

Someone is bound to know, if you shorten the 240Z struts, what inserts should you then use?
Thanks,

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:17 pm 

Nissanman,

What's the difference between the V8 & V6 calipers?? Is there any difference at all?

The DBA catalogue says the rotors are the same.

The Bendix catalogue says the pads are the same.

Presumably the mounting details are the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:59 pm 
Guru

Errr, I, Ahhh, Mmmm, you would have to check with the General on that :roll:
I was made an offer I couldn't refuse re Commodore callipers and rotors so I got the whole package.
If you want I can give you the ORIGINAL calliper mounting dimensions.
They DO NOT match the 240Z strut, but can be re-drilled to suit.
The cast iron calliper mount has plenty of metal around the area that the new holes need to be :wink:
If the General has any uniformity of products at all, my guess is that the same calliper is used across the range :roll:
The ones I got were as a result of a V8 being upgraded to HSV specs.
The original callipers and rotors are "binned" :shock:
Well, bin them my way I said :D

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:51 pm 

As for the comme brake calipers yes the V6 and V8 calipers are the same for VT on unless u get into HSV spec brakes.

Commodore factory specs:

VB-VP 6 cyl: 270mm front combined rotor & hub with single piston caliper.

VB-VP V8, V6 "S" packs (FE2) & VL Turbo: 289mm front combined rotor & hub with finned single piston caliper.

VR-VS all: 289mm rotor (hat) & finned single piston caliper.

VT-VY all: 296mm rotor (hat) & twin piston caliper.

N.B. Some early model VR Commodores where fitted with 289mm combined rotor & hub.

p.s. info thanks to commsport.com.au

hope it helps someone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:57 am 
Hey tenletters,

Stewart Wilkins does brake packages, I think around the $1400 mark for a nice set of reconditioned 4 piston calipers and vented rotors installed and ready to go.

Shipping from the US is expensive, I've seen H4 type lights on ebay australia that would fit in the z, and I'm pretty sure you can get them in autozone etc. Another thing to consider if you want to go really bright is headlight relays, do a search on zcar.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:55 pm 

Thanks Nissanman.

That's cleared things up a bit. Someone on the Ozdat mailing list has found they bolt straight up to 180b / 1600 struts (with use of shim washers). Mounts up much like VL turbo caliper, I think.

For the record, I don't think that commsport info is 100% correct. DBA lists different rotors for the early 4 cylinders, some utes, ABS braked cars...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:16 pm 

on the note of brakes, how hard is it to replace the drums on the back of a z? whats involved? does the disc brake system bolt right on and all the lines hook up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:30 pm 
Guru

I have designed a pair of brackets to mount the R31 callipers to the Zed rear hubs.
They position the calliper just right over the R31 disc rotors.
The rotors slip over the Zed wheel studs and flange just like the alloy drums and are held in place by the wheels like any other rear drum.
There are some minor issues to connect the handbrake and flexible brake lines but all in all, it is very simple to do.
A couple of things to be wary of though.
ALL rubber bushes should ne upgraded to polyurthane type.
The drum backing plate has to be removed, I advise you have the stub axle removed and new bearings inserted.
Check the stub axles for runout first, if they are bent the disc rotor will oscillate and vibrate when the brakes are applied.
I think the 260Z stub axles have larger splines for the drive shaft flange so consider changing over to them if you can find some :wink:
I have photos and CAD files of the conversion, email if you want more info.

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:52 pm 

I know what I need to do. Just save a crapload of money, then send the car away to someone else to do the work for me heh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:03 pm 
Guru

Well, that would do it :roll:
However if you have reasonable skills and a workshop, most things can be accomplished by your good self.
After designing those R31 brackets, I got a local Profile Cutting Service to cut out the plates.
They did everthing bar the small holes which I drilled :wink:
After a minor bit of tidying up they were ready for use.
I have a favourite plating shop I use and they give a 10 day turn around at worst.
I know, it all depends on your skills and time available, but if you want, I can produce another set of brackets to your specs. and they will bolt on :wink:
You will have to source the R31 stuff yourself but, I have done 2 of these conversions and it is a dream.
The first one was to my sons '73 240Z which was inspected by our local Road Traffic authorities some weeks ago.
NO COMMENT was the stern reaction :!: :!: :!:
In other words, the rear disc conversion passed as a factory appearing item :D

graemes@internode.on.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:46 pm 

dave: 2-3 grand i was hoping to spend on brake conversion plus suspension and convert to a modern 5 stud pattern.. front and rear
can that be done.. or does anyone do that kinda stuff? im wanting all roudn discs, front 4 pistons around 300 or more mm vented discs.. rear.. anything as long as its disc.. and working out the handbrake from the drum setup.. i thnink if i could get all that stuff for 2-3K id be very happy..fitted.. im not competent enough to carry out any of this kind of stuff.. id attempt it.. but no space.. and if i did.. i wouldnt trust my handywork.. the brakes might fail on me!

nissanman.. how much would you reckon it would cost to carry out all that rear brake setup with the R31 gear? including yoru handywork..

P.S thanks everyone for your input.. i knwo it happens and people think nothing about it.. but we take advice from fellow forum members for granted.. not everybody says thankyou.. maybe htey forget..

but.. thanks guys..

1971 KPGC110 Skyline 2000GTR, can you be my other wife?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:27 pm 
Guru

Instead of trying to email these pics to various people, I have posted them on my Sony Imagestation for you to view.
See the following site: -

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291183313

If you haven't done so before, you may need to sign in but it is free.
See pics. 48-59.

Tenletters, the plates usually cost about $50 to have cut and prepared for use with no plating, just bare steel.
The handbrake cable bracket is fairly simple say $10 each.
I would have to get a local quote for the R31 callipers and new discs (DBR#616).
I always re-build the callipers with a new seal kit ~$20 a side.
(You won't need the factory calliper brackets unless you want to fit the R31 callipers to a 510.)
Also, you need a pair of custom flexible brake hoses to mate up the inverted flare of one end, to the normal flare of the other end, ~$70.
New brake pads, Bendix premium, ~$50
The emergency brake on these callipers is quite effective considering it is a mechanical pad to disc setup, and one of the simplest in operation I have found.

graemes@internode.on.net