Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 Vin numbers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:10 am 

Guys,

What are the difference in Vin details from Jap Spec to Aust Spec? My car has P510 179XXX on the Firewall and a Jap Build plate on the LH strut but no year plate?

Is there a list of Vins and Manufacturing dates?

Cheers

John

Post subject: Re: 1600 Vin numbers
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:50 am 
Guru

The Manufacturers build plate was attached by Nissan in the factory, wherever it was assembled, as you would expect.
The VIN plate was NOT required to be fitted by the Manufacturer back in those days.
Some Dealers fitted VIN plates supplied by the relevant authority but it was optional, NOT a legal requirement.
So some 510s will have a VIN, most will not.
My 1971 P510 came without.
As for differences in spec between JDM and Local, electrically anyway can be gleaned from the various Wiring Schematics in the Factory 510 Service Manual.
Mechanically I think there was very little difference except for some emissions requirements.
Of course the Local product was subject to Australian Content Regulations which saw my car year at least fitted with the shitty Lucas electrical components :roll: :roll:
And of course our model range excluded the 2 door, and Coupe versions.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:28 pm 

can anyone tell me wat the numbers are on the passenger side strut tower? its not the chassis number as mine is on the firewall but it has a set of numbers on the strut tower close to the gaurd and they are about 2-3mm big and are P510 XXXXXX. Also there are a set on a piece of metal riveted to the right side near the front gaurd P510M XXXX? its a 1970 1600 cheers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:44 pm 

That should be the chassis number... If that don't match the one on your compliance plate, i'd be a little suspicious.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:41 pm 

No its not the chassis number its on the opposite side of the strut and these numbers are small. The chassis number is on the firewall and matches fine with compliance plate. These other numbers are different maybe a part number or something?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:10 pm 

You mean the numbers that are here on one of these two places on the left hand strut tower?
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
DSC04354thing.jpg [ 123.16 KiB | Viewed 6057 times ]
Quite small stamping and rather faint?
I'm guessing yours are the ones closer to the guard rather than the outside facing the engine bay...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:25 pm 

yep they r the ones.. in that spot, really small really faint. Also there is a set on the other side halfway between the strut and the front on a peice os metal which is riveted to the body right where the rubber stopper goes for the bonnet. Wondering what they could be

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:32 pm 

Not sure about the one on the RHS (drivers side on the plate) but all 1600's have one. But the one on the passenger side strut tower is definitely the Chassis number. Was it there when you bought the car? OR was it covered up and you uncovered it when doing repairs or rubbing down the engine bay?

It could have been that the car was hit in an accident, and they have replaced the front end with another car (cut and shut) not necessarily a bad thing if it was done properly on a jig, and the panel beater could have put the old VIN on the firewall (just below the Compliance plate???) because of the new one would be mis-matched.

I've only ever seen it on the firewall on one car that I was looking at. But that was meant to be turned into a race car with seam welded engine bay.

I wouldn't be too concerned. But i'd look into it. just in case. Look for any repair marks and welds etc.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:07 pm 

cheers
appreciate the info
no the car doesnt look to have been repaired - no weld marks or anything and all the original spot welds are there. I was reading a post on a NZ datsun forum that some imported 1600s were restamped when they were brought into the country, dont know if this is true was just wondering if any1 had info

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 pm 

I've seen a 1600 with three different chassis numbers on it like you have described, and we thought that was a cut and shut... Maybe some of them came like that?

[ img ]
BM510 wrote:
I'm a driver.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:49 pm 

trd385 wrote:
cheers
appreciate the info
no the car doesnt look to have been repaired - no weld marks or anything and all the original spot welds are there. I was reading a post on a NZ datsun forum that some imported 1600s were restamped when they were brought into the country, dont know if this is true was just wondering if any1 had info
I have also seen 2 like this, they both started with P510M....

As you have stated I don't believe they are the chassis or VIN code, as in both cases the vin's on the rego papers were indeed different. Also if you put either of those codes into REV's they do not register at all, which to me means that the cars have never been registered in NSW under those codes.

In both cases, they appear to be a separate piece of metal that is spot welded onto the drivers side on the flat piece where the guard bolts, between the front radiator panel and drivers strut tower.

I'm with nissanman in thinking that these cars would have come with an ID tag riveted to the firewall near the wiper motor, if this is removed and lost you will probably need to get a new chassis number stamped unless you want to try and make a compliance plate (which would be illegal).

NZ datsun's didn't require VIN numbers at all on at least the 510's or around that era.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:54 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I was thinking about this lately aswell and wondered what the 'M' stood for.
From memory ive only seen this 'P510M' tag on late model 510's, 71/72 etc.
From info ive read, around this time (~1970 onwards) Datsun 510's were assembled in the Clayton factory in Victoria after being shipped over from Japan as complete knock down (CKD). My initial thoughts was that M = Melbourne.

I have a couple of 1972 P510's with the aluminium compliance plates rivetted to the firewall.
One 510 has a P510M-#### tag on the rhs of the engine bay and the chassis number stamped ontop of the lhs strut tower.
The other has P510A-#### tag on the rhs of the engine bay.

Both are original and unmolested cars and after thinking about it, the answer is obvious.
The 510 with the 'M' tag has a manual transmission.
The 510 with the 'A' tag has an automatic.

This tag then must simply be a body/shell identification tag to distinguish between trans tunnels and trans mounts as they are different on each body...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm 

Guys, this is an old thread but interested to know if there is any info/knowledge on reading the build plates etc?

eg. translating the 'type' and 'serial no' differences.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm 
Guru

Well, they aren't really VIN plates as the ADR's require but rather manufacturers build plates.
Here is a decode of the plate data from the P510 Body and Chassis Service Manual:
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
Body Codes.jpg [ 214.53 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:12 pm 
Guru

Spot on there Nick.
The Vehicle build ID plate.
And only on the later models.
nick wrote:
I was thinking about this lately aswell and wondered what the 'M' stood for.
From memory ive only seen this 'P510M' tag on late model 510's, 71/72 etc.
From info ive read, around this time (~1970 onwards) Datsun 510's were assembled in the Clayton factory in Victoria after being shipped over from Japan as complete knock down (CKD). My initial thoughts was that M = Melbourne.

I have a couple of 1972 P510's with the aluminium compliance plates rivetted to the firewall.
One 510 has a P510M-#### tag on the rhs of the engine bay and the chassis number stamped ontop of the lhs strut tower.
The other has P510A-#### tag on the rhs of the engine bay.

Both are original and unmolested cars and after thinking about it, the answer is obvious.
The 510 with the 'M' tag has a manual transmission.
The 510 with the 'A' tag has an automatic.

This tag then must simply be a body/shell identification tag to distinguish between trans tunnels and trans mounts as they are different on each body...

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT