Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:53 pm 

hey all,

I wanted to run this idea past you all to generate a bit of discussion and get some valued opinions. Like most, I eventually want to put a front mounted intercooler on my FJ20ET 1600. I already have an intercooler with 90 degree bends welded on, a cut & shut intake manifold which puts the throttle body in a better position for the cold-side piping, and an electric water pump.

I am planning to follow the established method to mount intercoolers on a datto, like so:
[ img ]

[ img ]
(Images are from Ross' build thread http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=17898)

But...
lately I've been thinking about going a bit of a different route, for one main reason which is to keep the intake cross-over pipe that sits in front of the engine. It might sound stupid to some but I've really grown to like the look of it, it fills up the bay a bit and it's something the FJ's come standard with, a bit more period-correct. It just looks right to me.

[ img ]

So my proposed setup is to use one of these intercoolers...
[ img ]
http://www.justjap.com/store/product.ph ... 298&page=1

...with the inlet/outlet pipes on the passenger side, and the radiator (to be purchased) pushed over to the drivers side to make way for the upper pipe. Since there is no outlet pipe on the drivers side, the radiator can be pushed all the way over until it's resting on the chassis rail. Then, two holes are cut on the passenger side for both pipes.

Here are some vague sketches to show what I mean...

[ img ]

It's just an idea at the moment, haven't taken any measurements yet, but I wanted to post it up to get some opinions. Is it do-able? I'll do some more sketches tomorrow to show how I think the piping could work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:10 pm 

Your pretty much splitting the coolers area in half as the core turns into 2 cores that are a smaller size, and adding more piping. Why would you want to do it this way?
They run the piping like that factory due to no intercooler. You are just going to add lag,more piping and more problems doing it like that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm 

spandex wrote:
Your pretty much splitting the coolers area in half as the core turns into 2 cores that are a smaller size, and adding more piping. Why would you want to do it this way?
They run the piping like that factory due to no intercooler. You are just going to add lag,more piping and more problems doing it like that.

+1..... alot less efficient, you want to try and keep the cooler piping as short as possible IMO.

but in the end, its your car you have the right to do what ever you like :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:05 pm 

just spit-balling here guys. Like I said at the beginning of the post I'll probably do it the 'normal' way, but this is an idea I've had that I wanted to entertain.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:50 pm 

I don't see an issue with it. The apexi kit that 180sx's come with the same sort of setup, with a lot longer piping.

Also I doubt you'll be putting your car through hell Anth so anything is an improvement on stock.

Another option is a a water to air design, had one on my dads car but never put in the right effort to get it working properly.

[ img ]

You'll end up paying more for W2A, but they can bring good benefits.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 pm 
Old Digger

I agree. You will have slightly more lag and a slight pressure drop with your design. You could almost consider cooler piping to have similar rules to exhaust as far as bends go. The straighter the piping the better. Not to mention the cost. It would cost you maybe 50% more in stainless mandrels and pipe to cross back over. So you will add more weight, cost, lose efficiency and have a more complicated setup. Trust me when you have nice stainless piping TIG welded up and then linished you will find a new love in your engine bay yet alone the performance increase you'll reap. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:41 pm 

ForumJockey: I think you mean ARC? they have a turn flow core.
but it looks like this

[ img ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 am 

i wouldnt worry about outright cooling efficiency and pressure drop unless you're chasing every last hp, personally i think you could find better things to do than to worry about such things. if you're proper sold on that idea, and that cooling Bro (heh) one is cheap and is the right size to do precisely what you want, then go for it

if it were my FJ 510 (which would be nice :D) id do it the way transverse engined cars wish they could do it, straight from turbo to i/c on the left, and i/c to throttle on the right. simpler, shorter, cleaner, and given the situation its the ideal way to go

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:32 am 

Gary510 wrote:
I wouldnt worry about outright cooling efficiency and pressure drop unless you're chasing every last hp, personally I think you could find better things to do than to worry about such things. if you're proper sold on that idea, and that cooling Bro (heh) one is cheap and is the right size to do precisely what you want, then go for it

if it were my FJ 510 (which would be nice :D) id do it the way transverse engined cars wish they could do it, straight from turbo to I/c on the left, and I/c to throttle on the right. simpler, shorter, cleaner, and given the situation its the ideal way to go
what do you mean? Mount the cooler upside down so the inlet/outlet are up top near the rad support instead of down near the rails?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:07 am 

depends whats in the way, but yeah;
[ img ]

should give you the shortest plumbing that way if its not too much trouble, theres nothing wrong with the other way in pics above though dont get me wrong

just depends what you can manage with an appropriate sized cooler, and if its possible to avoid stuff in the way

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:28 am 

I reckon you could do what is suggested above (ie just mount the intercooler upside down), and then you can make a horizontal oil catch can to fill the space you are talking about. :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:50 am 

Find a way to do it without hacking up the car and go for that one.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:59 pm 

I guess the main issue with the upside down cooler would be if the outlets interfere with the inner headlights. I think over the xmas break I'll make up a cardboard template of an N13 radiator and see how much room I've got to play with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:33 pm 

Why not get a custom made core to suit your needs them?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:45 pm 

Hey Anth,
If you're considering this to fill that space, could you not put an aluminum or carbon cover from the rad support back to the engine?
I think from an aesthetic point, having your radiator off to one side as per the illustration above would cancel out any aesthetic advantage of filling the gap.
Having a cover would allow you to go with the most efficient set up which won't be seen.

Speaking of coolers, I thought the best option was the way the yanks do it. They have the inlet / outlet coming out the bottom allowing more room for the radiator.
I spoke to an engineer about this and he wasn't keen because you have to cut metal out of the bottom. Surely extra bracing could be added though. Anyone else considered this?