Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: 1600 air con
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 pm 

Ive searched every where and cant find a answer to my air con questions.

can anyone tell me if i can put air con into my 1600 71 fj20 dato?

I'm doing a custom dash for it but i would like to use the the heater mechanics and maybe mount a on off button in the dash.

who sells something that would be compatible with the fj and thats not to balky so it can be hidden hopefully under the dash ?

dont need the most powerful icy cold unit but would like to be comfortable in the summer months.
any one done this or can point me in the right direction thanks

Post subject: Re: 1600 air con
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:35 pm 

Im hearing you it gets bloody hot over here in Perth too so I am running custom air con in my 1600.

Depends how handy you are and what you have access too. Otherwise could be costly depending on the route you go.

Things you will need- 1) Compressor and mount to suit your engine, if not you can buy a universal style Sanden compessor and make your own mount if you are handy.

2) Condensor for engine bay (mounts in front of the radiator or if you dont have room can mount small one with fan on opposite side of rear muffler) , search wreckers for one the right size to suit. And make sure if you get one it is clean and the a/c system hasn't had dust and contaminants inside. You may need to have someone aluminium weld -10 and -6 female fittings to suit the fittings you will be using on the hoses if not already the right size. If you find say pre 1987 jap car should already have the right style fittings but will be -10 and -5 maybe able to use a adapter( -5 to -6). Or you can buy brand new.

3) condensor fan Spal (or Davies craig if you have to) .If you have room in engine bay you can mount 2 fans on the back of radiator(to pull the air). One comes on when the a/c switch is on. and both come on when car engine reaches whatever temp they are set to come on.

3) Hoses and hose fittings you will need a/c place to make and crimp these

4) Place to mount a/c drier(with pressure switch), you can buy universal ones of these cheap with -6 female fittings.

5) This is the trickier bit, Evaporator for inside the car. You can get one of the under dash universal mount and wack her up under the dash. Or you can get your tape measure and goto the wreckers and find a system that will mount behind and under the dash and and incorporate the fan, air con and heater together and run you air con for demisting the windscreen and vent for face and feet and build it into your custom dash. A sh#t load of work as this is the way I went.

Places of interest -

Wreckers- for most of it secondhand
Heatcraft- for universal condensors, evaporators, driers and pressure switches.
Cooldirve- for spal thermo fans and most things OEM replacement for A/C
Ashdown/Ingrams- for Sanden compressors?

If you are intersted I can post a picture of my setup I am running 13b turbo with front intercooler (65mm thick only). Probably a bit shorter engine then nissan 4 cylinder. Is yours turbo? If not you should have heaps of room. If not mount condensor at the rear.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:56 pm 

You can do it reasonably cheap if you find,

a compressor and mount to suit your engine, Compressor depending on age and how long it has been sitting around would need shaft seal replacing, most places sell new aftermarket replacement compressors as the cost of labour to replace seal usually is not worth it.

a 180b condensor or similar which should fit quite easy and most likely will use -10 and -6 fittings.(but wont be the most powerful in cooling capacity, as the more efficient the condensor dissipates heat the colder the inside air gets). If you have a look at condensors in 90+ jap cars they are thinner in depth and use thinner fins to dissipate heat much much more effectively.)

a universal drier and pressure switch( you will need to buy new)

Thermo fan/s I personally would buy new( not that expensive)

a underdash evaporater and fan setup. (heatcraft should sell these or maybe Ebay?)

Hoses and fittings definately make new ones.

Wiring, if you have fitted the above then this will be a breeze

A/C place to make and crimp hoses and fittings, and pressure test the system, vac out and re gas.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:53 am 

Didn't DR30's or S12's with FJs come out with air con anyway? Good place to start would be at Nissan wreckers getting FJ compressor & mount, wiring, button for your dash etc.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:38 am 

Post Pics RX. would love to check out this setup of yours!

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:35 pm 

RJB510 wrote:
Post Pics RX. would love to check out this setup of yours!
Hey I just started my 99% finished build thread in the Bluebird section.

Anyhow here is a few closer pics of A/C setup. I used the original series 4/5 Rx7 Compressor and mount, Mazda MX6 condensor brand new not sure year but core is about 18-20mm thick(have year filed away), Series 4/5 Rx7 fan, evaporator and heater box setup and and A/C controller.

Quiet a bit of work involved depends on how capable someone is and how much they really want A/C. Aesthetically I dont like the bolt up universal underdash units.

I would do it again but would fit a whole new dash from a modern car. Like the hot rod guys do with Mustangs and fit Mazda Mx6 dashes. Would be much easier then all the covers and ply fabrication I have done, if you found a suitable dash.

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
Copy of DSC00543.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00533.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00529.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00530.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00526.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00525.JPG [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:42 pm 

couple more

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
DSC00556.JPG [ 1.36 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00563.JPG [ 101.87 KiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00561.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]
[ attachment ]
DSC00555.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 2871 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:15 pm 

There are a couple of pics of what was involved to make the A/C control surround in my build thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:24 pm 

cheers so much for the in depth reply will have to start this going straight away, did not know there was so much involved. think ill look in to adapting it into the dash, sounds like the cleanest way to attack it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:49 pm 

That is pretty much how i'm going to do mine, however I'm using the 180sx box and blower motor, I'm not fitting the Air Con unit as yet, but i've got a picture of it done. Very tight fit. It looks good, you've done well.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:11 pm 

I am looking forward to getting another dato again, but I have not been in one for ages. From what I remember, the vent system in the datos was excellent, and far better than any other car I have been in.

I remember thinking that when driving over about 80kms/hr, there was such a large volume of air forcing through the vents, that it was possible to close the windows on long trips and still be as cool as if they were open, but just without the wind noise. I have seen a few people choose to weld up these vents just for show, but to me that looks like vandalism.

Is this right, are the 1600 vents as good as I remember?

'Olds kool!'

'Who's your Dato'