Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:41 pm 

Hi Everyone

Just wondering if anyone had a list of nuts and bolt sizes and where they go on the datsun 1600?

I will be looking to replace all nuts and bolts on my project and if someone has a list it would be a great help.

Someone who has labeled all of their nuts a bolts when pulling the car apart might be able to help?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:22 pm 

If you want new looking fasteners, you can "refurbish your nuts, bolts, screws, and other plated components, by having them cleaned and re plated. All bolts and nuts will look new, and lots cheaper than buying new ones. Any stripped threads or rounded/damaged heads or badly rusted bolts would need replacing. Some people who regularly restore cars buy their own "pickling" and plating gear, as its pretty cheap and easy to do. Check out the web for info on cadmium plating.

You can always head to a wrecking yard to get replacement bolts before you get the lot re plated.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:31 pm 

Ive found that autopro at Mcgraths Hill usually has what im after and is reasonably priced.
If they dont have what your after there is a boltmaster at Penrith.
http://www.nepbolt.com.au/index.php/home

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:40 am 

:thumbsup: what richardc said.

Problem with buying new bolts is you need to get automotive metric bolts which will have the correct size head and are also more expensive. If you get industrial bolts 8mm metric will have 13mm head, 10mm will have 16 or 17mm head depending. etc etc

Keep the original bolts and get them zinc plated. Also dont re-plate hi tensile bolts e.g suspension and brake caliper mounting bolts etc. Search Hydrogen embrittlement as to why..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:20 pm 

What RX510 said about hi tensile bolts + eleventy bazillion.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:08 pm 

I know this is digging up an old thread but I am in a pickle.

I lost nearly all my bolts and screws, had them in a bag but when my project car got stolen they sold off parts and they sold them off!

I got the car back but minus a lot of parts...........bolts screws included.

Anywho would anyone have pictures or know what sized screws/bolts are needed to put the front chrome, lights on the datsun 1600, also the same with the dash.

I really need this help as I am stuck on the Assembly stage!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:58 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Datsun 1600's are assembled using some common sized metric bolts e.g M5, M6 and M8 etc.
It would pay for yourself to buy a cheap set of vernier calipers which you can measure the inside diameter of the holes to see what bolt/screw size you require.

Headlight bolts are M5x0.7mm pitch and approx 12mm long.
Front mouldings are held on with self tapping screws. Dont know the guage of top of my head but i usually just measure the hole and buy screws to suit from a hardware shop.
Bonnet mouldings are the hard bit they have very short self tappers.
Its easy to put too long ones in and dent the moulding from the inside with the tip of the screw.
These screws are only 5 or 6mm in length and require a small washer to mount/space them correctly.
Dash from memory is M6x1mm pitch and approx 12mm long.
Doors and bootlid are M8x1.25mm pitch and approximately 16mm long.
Bonnet is M6x1mm pitch and approx 16mm long.

p.s. last time i was at Datport they had buckets and buckets of replated/new bolts there and may sell what you need.
Personally id raid a pick-a-part style wrecking yard and grab what i needed as lots of cars use similar mounting hardware...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:11 am 

I wonder if this would be any good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-510-520- ... 12&vxp=mtr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:35 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

oi_son wrote:
Shipping to australia would be pricey. They don't list exact sizes and you wont need many nuts at all. Better off waiting for a sale at your local Coventry fasteners store and get exactly the right bolts and washers you need...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 am 

nick wrote:
Datsun 1600's are assembled using some common sized metric bolts e.g M5, M6 and M8 etc.
It would pay for yourself to buy a cheap set of vernier calipers which you can measure the inside diameter of the holes to see what bolt/screw size you require.

Headlight bolts are M5x0.7mm pitch and approx 12mm long.
Front mouldings are held on with self tapping screws. Dont know the guage of top of my head but I usually just measure the hole and buy screws to suit from a hardware shop.
Bonnet mouldings are the hard bit they have very short self tappers.
Its easy to put too long ones in and dent the moulding from the inside with the tip of the screw.
These screws are only 5 or 6mm in length and require a small washer to mount/space them correctly.
Dash from memory is M6x1mm pitch and approx 12mm long.
Doors and bootlid are M8x1.25mm pitch and approximately 16mm long.
Bonnet is M6x1mm pitch and approx 16mm long.

p.s. last time I was at Datport they had buckets and buckets of replated/new bolts there and may sell what you need.
Personally id raid a pick-a-part style wrecking yard and grab what I needed as lots of cars use similar mounting hardware...

You sir are a legend! Very helpful info. I do have some bolts was going to go to a bolt shop and get some new ones or see how much they cost as my old ones aren't in the best shape.

It is just the front I need examples of if I knew what to get it will be no issue, but I will look at that tool you said and try to measure the inside of the holes etc.

Thanks a lot for the info again, great help

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:11 pm 

Out of interest, i believe it is illegal* under mod guidelines to have bolts replated.

*but that never stopped people

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 am 

Depends on the application.
If they are high tensile, then plating can make them weaker and prone to failure as suggested above.
If they are a normal grade, then plating has minimal effect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:10 am 
Guru

Plated hi tensile fastners are AOK.
They just need to be "normalised" before use.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT