Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Handbrake relocation
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 pm 

Hey just just been working on my nissan/datsun 720 lately.
And wanted to move my handbrake from next to the steering wheel down into the centre console
Just wondering if someone knows the steps to complete this?
And what parts would be needed?

Thanks guys.

Post subject: Re: Handbrake relocation
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:55 am 

I used 200B stuff in my 510 and 610. You can use Bluebird or whatever you can get your hands on. The key to making it work properly is re-drilling the lever that links the front cable (from the handbrake lever) to the rear cables (that go to the brake drums) or perhaps you can use the one that goes with the handbrake assembly you get. The leverage ratio is different so if you don't do this your handbrake will be ineffective.

You need to:
Get a centre-mount handbrake lever with cable and as much of the under car stuff as you can. You may not need it all but better to have it just in case.
Pick where you want to mount it then get under the car and make sure there's no brake lines, fuel lines or wiring in the way when you drill holes in the trans tunnel for the cable and mounting bolts. Keep in mind that your cable needs to join the rear brake cables and it may be easier to make an extension than to shorten it.
Measure the distance the end of the front handbrake cable moves on both your new assembly and the old one in your 720 as the handbrake is applied. Compare them. If the ratio is (for example) 2:1 like mine then you'll need to join the new handbrake cable to the rear cables so that applying the new handbrake pulls the rear cables the same distance the old handbrake assembly would. I was able to drill a new hole on the linking lever halfway between the pivot and the hole used for the old handbrake.
Drill the holes in the trans tunnel. Use big washers with the mounting bolts & nuts to strengthen the mounting nad M8 bolts are the smallest I'd recomend.
Join up the cables under the car. Test it to ensure it works properly. If it does, remove your old handbrake assembly.