Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm 

Refer to the article: http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/e ... 1ahgx.html

Considering I am looking at getting my L18 rebuilt within the next 12 months I'm wondering whether I need to factor in the usage of ethanol and if so, what other changes might I need to make (fuel lines, fuel pump etc...)

Being an old carbie engine trying to get it to satisfy 98 RON, E10 and E85 is probably going to be too difficult without all the electronics to alter engine tune on the fly so I'm thinking I could hedge my bets and go with E10 or just stick with 98 RON till it runs out

Has anyone else had to think about this for their L-Series motors?

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm 

My father has 1965 Morriss Minor. The only change made to run on Unleaded fuel was the valve seats, which were done when the head got serviced. The car was then tuned as it would normally be. It is completely stock, so it is running the original SU Carby. He regularly runs it on E10.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:59 pm 

Personally I never use anything less than 98RON in all my cars. Out may cost a little more but you do get more milage from it and it its better for your engine. I also use Lucas upper cylinder lubricant ($18 a bottle from Supercheap) as an additive every 2nd or 3rd tank in my modern car and every tank in my Datsun, one bottle does aprox 10 treatments
Problem with the ethanol fuels is that the ethonol corrodes old fuel lines. Also bear in mind that while water does not mix with fuel it does mix with ethonol and this can be a issue in older cars with condensation in tanks. If your going to use E85 be sure to use a new filter to prevent tank sludge/scale being drawn through you fuel.
I have also found that if you dont do alot of driving Shell Optimax tends to go stale in the tank after a couple of weeks and makes my car run like a sack crap. I try to fill up with Caltex 98RON I found it runs better in all my cars and does not go off as quik if you dont do a lot of driving

1981 Datsun 280ZX 2+2
Current Ride
1982 Datsun Bluebird Venturer (62000km grandpa spec)
2004 Ford Escape (Daily/Family)
Have Owned
1983 Nissan R30 Hatch
1979 Datsun 280C
1995 Audi A4 B5 Quatro 1.8lt Turbo 5sp AWD
1976 KC Centura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm 

I meant to say but had brain fade. The car runs on E10, But, usually on runs on 95 or 98. If he is feeling rich (pension week) he will put the really good stuffin it.