Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:25 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:09 pm 

Just spoke briefly to an engineer in regards to my 1600 FJ20t , hue informed me that I have to compleat a brake test on a race track. I'm registering the car in NSW and I'm on the south coast, but the car is in Canberra. He said a guy in orange dose it but that's a long journey. Anyone know who in the ACT area is set up to do this test ( they need to comply with NSW ) also emissions testing, where and who???

Also engineers who should I use in the same type area, I don't mind travelling but I'm hoping not to have to do massive road trips.

How hard is this process going to be.........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:31 pm 

The EPA testing is done out a Penrith, ( ring the RMS for the name and address as I can't remember)) but if you have a cheaper ECU you may not pass
The test involves fitting the car on a Dyno and fit a probe up the exhaust, they then "drive" it at set revs/no revs and road speeds and then retreve the data
The one car I took out there many years ago failed because when they "back off" the throttle the ECU had to cut the fuel supply to the engine to stop unburnt fuel entering the exhaust pipe
but the requirements vary depending on the year of the car and engine (ie the test for a 85 bluebird is harder than a 81 Bluebird with the same fj turbo engine)
You could also ask the engineer if you would need a test if you fitted the factory ECU, In my case the engineer was happy with that (but that was before the new requirements)
But the race track is a new one to me, I know the RMS originally want cars to be brake tested from 160km but changed it when they took some cars out to the WSD and none of the cars could reach the 160km on the drag strip, I had my current car brake tested on a brake machine to check out balance on the Bias valve I fitted, but the building where they were is now burnt down, but you could ring them and see if there still around or ring around to see who owns one, Ask the engineer if he would accept one of those instead?

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
scan0002.jpg [ 141.92 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:09 pm 

thanks for the info ill talk to the engineer in more depth once its complet and see where to next cheers