Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am 

Some people do over estimate what they're datsuns are worth but I have a saying that goes " try n build it for half that " Usually if you add up every nut, every bolt, brake fluid, ounce of oil and bottle of beer. It's always cheaper to low ball someone that's done most the work then start from scratch. I just never seem to do it and start myself.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

skitzone wrote:
Some people do over estimate what they're datsuns are worth but I have a saying that goes " try n build it for half that " Usually if you add up every nut, every bolt, brake fluid, ounce of oil and bottle of beer. It's always cheaper to low ball someone that's done most the work then start from scratch. I just never seem to do it and start myself.
Yeah true I'm in the same boat.

One of the reasons why doing some night-courses at TAFE to learn panel beating is on my bucket list so I can do this stuff myself because it's where so much of the money goes on restoring a car if it has rusted out.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

skitzone wrote:
Yeah true I'm in the same boat.

One of the reasons why doing some night-courses at TAFE to learn panel beating is on my bucket list so I can do this stuff myself because it's where so much of the money goes on restoring a car if it has rusted out.

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:05 pm 
Guru

....and welding and fabrication and ....

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

Mechanical stuff is a lot easier for an unskilled person (eg. buy mounting kit) than panel work, and rust is an insidious beast.

Best rule is always start with the absolute best shell you can, whether you are buying someone else's pride & joy or buying a shell to do up. You are better buying a car that has been bare metalled, and has an A- or L-series, than buying something with the requisite SR, CA, built L20 and a sh*t body.

I was lucky with mine, it's pretty good for an old boat, but it still needs a proper body resto (one day..........).