Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 am 

Good morning Gents and Gals,

First of all let me introduce myself, my name is Fred and I live in Sydney. I know very little about cars but as part of a charity event I am doing the S.itbox Rally 2013. Rally is a big word here because the aim this year is to just drive old cars (worth less than $1000) and classified as s.itboxes from Adelaide to Fremantle via Uluru (Don't think we will be going too fast). Happy to share additional information if you want but a quick goolge search will give you the web site details for the rally (didn't want to post a link here just in case).

I am writting to you this morning because we just found our car, is an absolutely beautiful 1983 Nissan Bluebird Venturer. As I mentioned before I know very little about cars but the more I look at her the more I want to spend the time working on her.

There are a few things that are not 100% with the car even tho it is registered.

Is there a place in Sydney / Mechanics or perhaps a member of this forum that would be willing to give me a hand and give the car a once over. I can't afford to spend to much money on her at this point in time and only have a month to get her in a condition that will allow me to make it to the West Coast. After that I am planning to get the car back to Sydney and spend some serious quality time.

It is all for a good cause and to raise money for the Cancer Council of NSW

Thank you very much,

Fred and Andrew - Team 'Ricki's Last Trip' - S.itbox Rally 2013

Attachments:
File comment: Plate
[ attachment ]
Plate.jpg [ 322.05 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
File comment: Body
[ attachment ]
Body.jpg [ 291.88 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]
File comment: Engine
[ attachment ]
engine.jpg [ 40.38 KiB | Viewed 1515 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:11 pm 

good job mate, should make it light for some fun

1979 Datsun Sunny Wagon 13b Turbo conversion: http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=28890

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 pm 

Perhaps you could tell us what's wrong and we could point you in the right direction on how to fix it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:18 am 

Thanks guys. When driving it back last night it started to lose power and surge, it seem ok at speeds between 0-80 but as soon as I went a bit faster there was just no power to the engine, it didn't cut off completely mind you and slowing down and nursing the accelerator on a lower gear got me another k down the road and home - I'll say is 'fuel' and the engine is just not getting enough of it but that's the extent of my knowledge. I just need to give it a once over and check everything. Right now I am not game to even drive it around the block and I am hoping to do over 5,000kms on it in a few weeks. i think I am nuts. I have a couple of mates on the hunt for a mechanic to have a look at it. The problem is that the most I can spend on it is $500 and my knowledge extends to watching my dad work on an old truck. I am sure it can do it but it'll need a bit of TLC first and unfortunately I only have 4 weeks to do it. I have a ton of people that want to work on how it looks but right now I am more concerned with the engine, gear box and the 4 wheels. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 am 
Guru

I agree with you, it does sound like it is starving for fuel.
I would change the fuel filter first.
Once that is done, disconnect the out fuel line on the pump and crank the engine without spark plugs, and check there is a healthy spurt of fuel coming from the pump, INTO A BUCKET!
You might also renew the air cleaner element and the spark plugs while you are there.
I'm guessing it is a Series II with High Energy Ignition so you won't have to change the ignition points.
Sounds like a great adventure coming up!
I drove to Perth from Adelaide in 1973 for my honeymoon and Adelaide to Darwin in 1974.
No sealed roads then!
The little P510/1600 never missed a beat :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:46 pm 

Thanks Graeme.

The guy I got it from is a bit of a car enthusiast and he said that he had recently replaced the fuel filter. Sparkplugs and leads are going to be replaced this weekend. Plugs look a bit rusty

Don't know 100% if it is a series 2. Have been checking a few sites and it looks like it may be. Have been tryin to check using the VIN number but I only have 11 digits and not 17.

Built October '83 in Australia
Vin NJ910T10393 - So it is a Nissan, Model 910 Engine # T10393 but thats all I get, don't know what the J stands for?
Engine is a L20B

It does say high energy system on the airfilter cover but thats pretty much it.

Will give your suggestion a go this weekend if the Mrs. lets me :-)

Cheers mate,

Fred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 pm 
Guru

N - L20B
J - Rigid rear axle
910 - Series Code
T - probably an F - 5 speed manual transmission

The HEI engine is easy to identify.
Take the distributor cap off and see if there is a reluctor present, 4 pronged star, instead of points.

If the filter is allegedly new, just check the fuel pump has a good healthy squirt :)

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:54 pm 

Could pay to show up at macgraths hill maccas on Sunday 24th at 10am for a drive to wise mans ferry with Sydney datsun club it is actually a fundraiser day for one of the members entering the sh.tbox rally too I'm sure there will be someone there that can give you a few tips about your car

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:06 pm 

Cheers mate, sounds good, I do hope to have everything sorted by then otherwise i'll be in real trouble, do you know their alias/team name, would love to get in touch with that team.
Cheers,
Fred

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:12 pm 

Team jungle B do a search on this site they have posted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:17 pm 

Got it. Thanks, F

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 am 

Gents, just thought I'll let you know. We found the problem with 'fuel starvation' on the bluebird - The fuel filter has been installed backwards restricting and to certain degree stopping the flow of fuel to the carbi/engine. Going on our test drive this morning from the Central Coast to Sydney. If you see a very blue bluebird (hopefuly not on the side of the road) give us a wave. Cheers, Freddy