Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Dato 1600 - 60's V 70's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:16 am 

G'day all,

Is it my imagination or are the older datos made in the sixties better built than the models made in the seventies.

Twenty years ago I owned four dato 'bush bashers' and recently I just bought a 71 model (in top condition fj20det). But I seem to remember the older models with the wide speedo were better built in every way, in particular the vent direction, and heater controls etc. In fact, I seem to remember back in the day I always wanted a newer style dash with a seperate spot for the tacho etc like the seventies versions. But after owning one of the older model I decided it was just way better built and everything was just more robust and functional.

Am I dreaming?

'Olds kool!'

'Who's your Dato'

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:34 pm 

Your not imagining anything, you have a good memory!

The early 1600s in Australia were fully built in Japan. The body metal was better prepared for corrosion resistance and the body assembly and painting was better than the later (post '69) cars assembled at Clayton in Victoria. Hence less rust now.

The early design differences are just as you describe them, generally better engineered and higher quality. The only really beneficial later model improvements, in my view, were the parallel wipers and the collapsable steering column.

The dash design is a question of preference. I prefer the newer circular instruments to the square look instruments in the original design, but the mechanical stuff (heater etc) was better quality in the original. In the original design the aftermarket tacho was usually fitted replacing the drivers side (RHS) air vent eyeball.

If you want the best of both you can look for a privately imported Japanese built 70/71 model - not many around. Genuine 4 door 1600SSS's were all imports, look for the Japan build location on the body plate in the engine bay.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:08 am 

Thanks Richard.

That figures, I remember the whole car was more solid. The newer models seem a bit 'softer' even in the panels, I would not be suprised if a thinner gauge sheet metal was used.

The one I have now has a tacho in the RHS eyeball vent space, which I am in the process of returning to the original vent. I remember the vent 'system' working better than any car I have ever been in since. Allowing the windows to be closed whilst providing unrestricted free flowing ventilation. With no AC, the last thing I would do is stick a tacho in place of the eyeball vent director.

The older I get, the less bling I desire, I would be happy with the wide dash and an inconspicious sleeper look. There is something about 'old' that seems more personal to me.

I'll post some pics when I get a chance. Is that your black dato? Do you have any more pics on here of it. Black suits the dato shape well.

Grant.

'Olds kool!'

'Who's your Dato'