Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:38 pm 

Hi Guys

I will be in the market to buy a Mig Welder soon. Just saw today that there is a sale on at repco for the MechPro 150A Mig Welder

The same as this one ---> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Welder-Mechp ... f0c&_uhb=1
I gave you the link above so you can see the information on the pictures, the repco website doesnt give much information on the product http://catalogues.repco.com.au/offer/we ... rce=search

It is on sale at Repco reduced from $399 to $199 and the sale ends on next week.

I have read some previous posts about what Mig Welders to buy. I am just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this particular model? Would it be good for me to weld my chassis and other car related panels?

It is gas and gasless.

I have read in many places that the Cigweld 175i is the best one to get. However it is $1000. If this Repco one will do the job I need to do for $200 then maybe I could just get that.

If it is not good then I will just wait a bit and get the Cigweld 175i.

Your advise is appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:22 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

The price is right and they are fairly simple units that should last a while.
I chose Cigweld personally because they were stocked in alot of the toolshops and spare parts seemed fairly easy to get. Plus the welders everywhere i have worked always have Cigweld migs.
Would you know where to get a spare tip and a liner for this one if you needed it?
What about warranty?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 pm 

just wait for the Cigweld. You're most likely only going to buy a welder once, may as well get a good one. Welders are one of those garage tools you need to bite the bullet and cough up for. I know how you feel, im in the same boat. Pointless having a crap welder in the garage. Once you've finished your car, who know's what you're going to build or make. Buy an auto helmet, then you're set.

I'm waiting for a lincoln or a cigweld to go on sale locally. Just make sure you use flux core wire if going gasless!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:15 am 

I find cheep welders can leave shitty welds and are harder to set up properly then a more expensive brand. The same rule goes for welders as cars, but the best unit you can afford. Also don't go gasless if you can help it, gas is so much better it's not funny.

1971 1600, mild L18, 5 speed

All I want is less to do, more time to do it and higher pay for not getting it done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:31 pm 

Wait longer and get quality.
Have you thought about second hand? Just make sure it has been looked after and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:32 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

How would this (or something similarly cheap) be for welding big, rusty bits of steel together ? I love my oxy, and will use it for panels up to maybe 3mm thickness (so pretty much anything on a Datsun), but after recently making a set of engine mounts for a boat from 8mm plate, I'm thinking of making the move to using elecktrickery for welding simply to be able to do bigger jobs in a reasonable timeframe. As an example, the engine mounts took a good 15-20 minutes of welding each by the time I got enough heat into them.

So, not after a wonderful job that looks like a robot did it, just something to stick bits of plate together in such a way that they won't come apart in a hurry.

Or would I be better off just grabbing a cheap arc welder ?

Spending upwards of $500 isn't an option, I'll just perservere with the oxy instead.

1965 SP310 Fairlady
1966 SP311 Fairlady

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:51 pm 

I got a Cigweld 175i, bit the bullet. Gas is the way to go, not worth considering not going that way. The amount of hassle and frustration with foamy welds it's not worth it.

Save up. It does tig and arc too...

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:38 pm 
Old Digger

Tokentools. Good prices and good product. I bought a Mig200 inverter unit. It's the best welder I'ver used so far
http://www.tokentools.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:12 pm 

Thanks for your replies guys I think I may give this one a miss then. I will hang out for the Cigweld 175i or something as good.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:17 am 

The Mechpro welder is not bad, I have one myself, however that model has just been discontinued so warranty is going to be an issue if you ever manage to break it, that being said the last time i had a customer with a non-working unit it was because they broke the unit, i was able to get him up and going again but i do not have the spare parts to do it again.

I cannot fault the mechpro welder yet, however I have only been building workshop benches and frames so far, have not touched my stanza with it yet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:08 pm 

I bought this one off the back of a recommendation from a friend;

http://www.silverwaterwelding.com.au/in ... ductId=414

Cost around $1200 all up, and welds brilliantly, bought the trolley as well. 6 months later no issues and for a mig welder it welds great and consistent.

So far I've used it for panel repairs and trailer repairs, it's awesome as far as a mig goes for a backyarder.

I was looking around at the cheap options for years, but as others have said it's worth just shelling out the money for a better one that comes with warranty as the last thing you want to buy is one that is second hand for half the price but twice the problems and it welds like sh*t due to worn out internals which cost more than it's worth to repair.

Just find a mate to go halves in.