Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: price of 1600 nos parts
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:11 am 

Thought I'd start this to get opinions on the pricing of genuine nos parts, considering there are currently front/rear bars on ebay for $950 ea. That's too much imo.

Will aftermarket companies now starting to produce parts like this, drive these astronomical prices down? More so, will these companies be producing acceptable quality products?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:53 am 

I have also been thinking about this recently. I think it will all depend on the quality of the new reproduction parts. If the parts are like the quality of some of the PR stuff I have purchased before then I don't think those reproduction parts will drive the NOS price down at all because the quality was not good. But if the quality is top notch then possibly it could drive the prices down. But then there will still be those that prefer to have NOS items and would pay what ever it costs to get them. And remember the NOS stuff is still rare and will only get rarer.

I think only time will tell. Once these reproduction pieces come through..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:47 am 

repro parts that comes out of phils rotary is top notch. i've never sent back anything bought from there :giggle:

also, i had my rear bar rolled and re chromed for half that cost. might not look as good as a nos item inside, but who's ever gonna look.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:20 am 

Futofab are producing a lot more parts now, mostly under body and panels not external trimmings

http://www.futofab.com/

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:54 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think all these parts are coming from around the same place, Thailand and Indonesia.
Due to their cheap labour in making dies and plastic part moulding machines and presses.
All of these companies PR, Futofab, etc all started announcing/selling the same aftermarket parts around the same time which makes me think its just one or two manufacturers doing this.
I'd be very doubtfull they would match the quality of oem parts but for a price they will get you by just like the aftermarket Mexican taillight lenses that have been around for 2-3years now.
Genuine/OEM old stock parts prices pretty well double once they become NLA.
Rear bumpers when available were around $500 so this price is not out of the ballpark.
For me though i'd only pay good money for something that couldnt be reconditioned or remade accurately so for things like bumpers which you can rechrome in good quality for a reasonable price, i'd just do that.
Whereas ive spent big bucks on things like new coupe and 68 model taillights cos its hard to restore them for less or they simply arnt available aftermarket...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:55 am 

i would be interested to see what futofabs beaver panels are like. someone order one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 pm 

muscle car parts in sydney are getting made the same things like, valance, front guards, bonnets, rubber filler necks, front and rear bumpers, complete sill sections with the taper and more. I think they are getting them from the same place and have heard the fitment is perfect. They were shaped from nos items etc. Its $240 for a valance i havent brought one yet but someone i know has. As far as i know not everything is available yet but will be soon.
Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:00 pm 

Craigs selling up before the repos put a dent on what he might get for genuines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 pm 

Just saw Phills Rotary has the front valances for $299 on ebay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:30 pm 

Yeah thats what i think too sled510 it would be silly not too. Yes some will always want genuine but the prices of the repo will hopefully be much cheaper. Im still deciding whether to get some second hand bumpers rechromed or buy the repo i suppose the price will be the final decider once a price comes out for the repo. The good thing is 1600's will be on the road alot longer now.

Cheers,

Richard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:51 am 

Muscle car are taking their sweet freakin time with these filler necks. It's the last item I need to finish my boot. Was supposed to be before xmas, then before 6th jan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:03 am 

Yeh thats why it would be better for them not to say they are getting anything until it arrives in Australia I reckon. Its getting everyones hopes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 am 

Yeah that sucks I'm ages from finishing haha. I'm doing the unleaded filler neck upgrade that could be a option?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:50 pm 

i purchased a pair of sills from muscle car parts and they seem to be good quality. Service was really good, postage was fast and cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:12 pm 

I saw a bunch of the muscle car repro 1600 parts at summernats over xmas break, front guards, valance trim that runs below the grill but above valance and bonnet. Been around 1600s for near 20 years and seem to have all the right detail in all the right places.

It'll all come down to the fitment on the car as the parts certainly look to spec and hopefully the metal isn't too soft

I'd even say it'd take a very good eye to spot the repro from NOS if you had one of each painted

I've got good guards etc for mine but if I didn't I'd certainly give them a go as if they are good fitment then it's better than old rusty and full of bog panels

I'll take a look at the bumpers when they come out as mine are ok but need some work after so many years and could be cheaper to go repro than panel beat and rechrome

swanny