Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:55 am 

G'day Guys,

Been loitering / taking in all the great info for a while now but never had a reason to post.

My daily driven datto is now surplus to my needs, so thinking of selling it.

I'd like to get an idea of what it's worth because to be honest if it's less than $2500 I'm tempted to store it away for another day.

The car is a 1971 and would come with a Vic RWC but less than a months rego, and is essentially stock apart from:

Very mild L18 W block engine with A87 head, extractors, elect ign, twin English 1 1/2 su's, 2 1/4 exhaust and stanza 5 speed.

200b struts and brakes with small can booster.

Kings low 240k rear springs with kyb monos, standard springs and shocks up front.

Superlite 15 x 6 with Goodyear 195 50's all round, heaps of tread.

New boot and door seals all round, new carpet. Remaining interior stock and very tired including ripped headlining, sagging front seats and badly cracked dash pad.

Body is structurally sound but contains plenty of filler in all the usual places. Closed door backyard spray job looks quite neat from a distance but rough up close.

Car runs fine but uses about a cup of oil every month if driven daily ( 30km round trip ).

Interested to know people's thoughts on what it's worth.

Cheers,
Russ.

More than happy to answer any questions, take photos etc.
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
photo1.jpg [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 2074 times ]
Attachment:
[ attachment ]
photo2.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 2074 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 am 

Depends on what condition the body is in and how much body filler is used.
For a really good shell with poor mechanical/interior with only a few spots of rust and no paint job you can get approx $6K ish give or take.
A good base to modify is what most look for.
Perhaps detail what areas have been repaired and maybe some photos?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 pm 

Thanks for the response.

I don't have any pre-repair photos, however the worst of the rust was in the lower rear quarters. No gaping holes, more of a swiss cheese look. Certainly enough metal for the filler to adhere to without the use of steel mesh.

Underneath the boot seal was also pretty bad, with sections of the metal lip being replaced.

Doors were all fine bar a couple of pin holes, lower front guards both had 20 cent piece size holes.

The end of the drivers side sill panel also required a bit of attention.

All up about 500g of filler / fibre fill was used.

Repairs were all taken back to bare metal prior to filling, although I wouldn't expect them to last a lifetime as there is already evidence of rust returning after only 12 months.
The intention at the time was only to make it presentable as a daily driver, and this would be quite obvious to anyone who looked at it.

Perhaps as the car would come with a RWC, it may be better suited to someone who is happy with a less than perfect datto to drive around rather than the start of a resto?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:25 pm 

Can u load some picks up mate the car does'nt sound that bad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am 

Pics....

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Rusty158/library/

Tailights were new from Datsport 12 months ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm 

G'day Guys,
It appears that my question has elicited quite an underwhelming response!
Thanks SR20Datsun for your helpful advice. It was much appreciated, however from it I am only able to determine that it is worth somewhere between $2.5k ( thanks for the offers boys ) and $6k.
As such, in the absence of a more accurate figure, I've decided to park it in the shed for a few years.
Thanks again to those who showed interest or gave some advice.
Cheers,
Russ.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:48 am 

Russ,
The difficulty is as per usual. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
I have been away from the market for a while so giving you an accurate estimation is pretty hard.
There would be a few on here who could provide a more accurate estimation, but you just have to give it a little time. The forum has slowed down over the years, but there are still quite a few gurus here there and everywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:23 pm 

Typically something like that up here in NQLD is fetching around $4000-5000, especially if regoed...
Good luck :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 pm 

I reckon you would be stretching it to get $6K in it's current condition.

The big problem with these cars is rust, if your shell was completely rust free (i.e. no bog, properly welded rust repair sections) then I would say you could get $6K for it, probably more because to get someone to properly rust repair a car nowadays costs big $$$$. If the motor was running better than using a cup of oil every month and then interior was up to standard then that would help to get to that price too.

The problem with these little cars is that once they get customised then it really does come down to what someone is prepared to pay. If it was a rust free, perfect condition, stock, original then you could be asking a heck of a lot more, but once they are modified and suffer the usual rust spotting, worn out interiors etc.... then the price comes down - or it goes up if the modifications are very well done, the car has been treated to a bare metal restoration etc....

You could keep it in the shed but then there really is no guarantee that you'll get more for it in years to come. If the rust comes back and/or the condition deteriorates even more you'll probably get less for it. If you reckon you'll restore it fully in the years to come keep it, if you can't see that happening then you may be better off taking what you can get for it and then use the money for something else that you do need.

The Datsun 1600/510 is getting rarer every day in Australia, but then Datsun sold it in North America, Asia, South Africa etc... so there are plenty of them still out there which keeps the asking prices down.

Just my $0.02

1971 Datsun 1600
2019 Mazda 6 Touring Wagon
2009 Holden SV6 Sedan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:05 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

It always helps to take alot of pics of the typical problem areas and highlight exactly what rust/dings/issues its honestly got to help people value a cars condition.
Usually pics of the lower parts of the car tell a story like sills, front/rear lower guards and inside boot corners, door jams and wherever water channels/pools etc. Dont be scared to put up 20, or 30 pics or more. Rust and poor condition bodies really brings down the price of 1600's unfortunately as its so costly to repair thesedays. Interior is important too so highlight cracked dashes or ripped seats and roof lining etc.
Looks like your doors are still white on the inside looking at the pics? An important thing to note.

This was a good thread (now missing pics) on 'the realm' with info that helps to maximise the price you get if you choose to sell/auction your car:

http://the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13564

Classic cars like Datsuns seem to fetch the best money at auctions like Ebay etc as they get seen and are contested by more people. Be wary of fees and remember to list a minimum reserve price though as occasionally things sell underpriced if they are described poorly or in a remote location for example.
Take a heap of detailed photos as these tell the story better than most can put into words and put it up for auction with a reserve of your choice.
You never know what people will pay.
You can also try and list it as a fixed/negotiable price on Ebay or any of the Datsun forum classifieds, Gumtree and certainly Carsales will also give the car good exposure to the right people aswell...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm 

Thanks heaps guys, all this advice is invaluable and has enabled me to put a price on the datto. A quick scan of gumtree also revealed nothing below $4k, and many without rego or rwc.
As such I will give first option to the members who showed an interest in buying, then post an ad in the Ozdat classifieds for $5k with rwc and 12 months rego / $4400 with rwc only.
Thanks again for taking the time.
Cheers,
Russ.