Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Re: 120y the mandarin
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:37 pm 
Guru

That would be the anti-dieseling valve.
[ img ]
It is an electrically operated solenoid that shuts off the carb. when the key is turned off so the engine doesn't run on.
You can live without it.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:53 am 

mate, if i ever find where you live im gonna come kiss you.. that is exactly it.. i predicted something to do with pollution gear. i will defenitely be living without it! been doing bodywork.. removing rust slowly panel by panel.. all yellow has been painted datsun riverina orange. looks soo nice im tempted to carry on and do the whole car.. fitted carpets should be here soon too.. dattos looking very good... also touch up painted the red and black back onto the badges, changed rear lights to non damaged ones. also new tyres.. shop put original profile on is a facepalm.. was runnin 185' now back yo pizza splitting 165's.. makes it look more cute and less mean.. haha

p.s thanks for your time graeme! you are certified datsun guru and apprecitate your help!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:39 pm 
Guru

Errrrr, no kisses required :oops: :oops:

My pleasure to help :thumbsup:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:11 pm 

was a joke mate! missus would kill me! all high fives chesty bumps and nutpunches from here on then!

now.. back to business! no lights in the shed so dizzy cut short yesterday.. removed and marked old dizzy and installed new one , new plugs all set to 0.041 , poxy restrictor box thing bypassed on the coil.. and bammy.. nothing.
read up at night and see i connected old earth wire to new dizzy (unneccesary) and is draining the system. remove wire and it fires.. timing is out as expected as my first crack at this. fully retarded doesn't fire and is still on the upstroke by my psycic powers, wound full advanced its firing 2 well and nothing form 2.. my plan is to pluck the dizzy and wind it forward a bit then drop it in, try again.. i was going to doublecheck plugs but the clearances are all within tolerance and within 0.001 so ill just adjust the dizzy. either way, looking fairly positive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:48 am 

still havent done this... busy now. grrr.. weekend job. take the rocker cover off and start from blind. got the carpets and dived into that.. then subie parts so i swapped to tinkering there.. moulded carpet makes interior look very fresh now. http://www.tstcarpets.com.au/moulded_car_carpet.html i highly recommend this mob! bit over 150 delivered was a bargain. i got the cut morone pictured and its lovely and the fitment has been perfect. will put pictures up for you guys when its ready for next shoot. and grandmas stink seems to have finally gone! rank mouldy underlay.. yuk. dodgy primed and bogged a bit of passenger floor whilst it was up.. gunked it up fairly heavy ways. whole back quaters and boot been resprayed and clearcoated now.. not sanding clearcoat till ive done the lot then ill hit it all at once.. happy to look a bit rough. bit of a **** spray job anyways but im well happy with the results so far. enough to do the whole car.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:26 am 

[ img ]

Carpet in

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 pm 

**** if i can get this dizzy firing! driving me mad! seems to only fire 1 cylinder.. double checked plug gaps.. all perfect clearances. top dead centre 1st.. distributor looks like its set perfect with a good range between advance and retard, firing order correct, set to 16 degrees advanced or 20.. no difference. bypassed poxy box so coil throwing 12v at dizzy.. apparently you can fry the dizzy as its 12v. shoot me now! any ideas at what to check?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:40 pm 
Guru

You can "bench" test the distributor to verify it works, no cranking required :wink:
Slip out of the engine and leave all leads connected to the cap.
Providing you have it wired up correctly, you can spin the gear on the base of the distributor ACW and the plugs should fire in the sequence 1, 3, 4, 2.
Have the plugs out with their bodies grounded and you should see and hear them spark.

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 pm 

hahah i sooo wasnt even close! i was firing 4th.. my mate came around and i think you guys must be related greame as he had this perfect in no time.. installed and tuned the carby.. it runs sick. no real hard road test as yet as our town geraldton is going awol for police right now. 3 roadblocks setup tonight.. considering im rocking that poxy musical horn id rather not have the cops peek around at it yet.. that is soo getting removed. its also the cause of the cracked air cleaner housing we suspect. any idea where to get one? this ones fine but still heavily damaged. still heaps of little rust spots to clean up and panels to spray so ill put pics on.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:37 am 

roadtest, nicest datto ive ever seen or driven. great manners now.. no hiccups nothing.. just smooth.. still not a fast car obviously but it never will be. shitload of fun to drive :)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:59 am 
Guru

That's the best bit, DRIVING the car :applause: :applause:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 am 

couldnt help myself.. cut and ground all the rust out.. sanding smooth still.. full respray garage styles.. datsun laguna sunset orange.. then keep laying clearcoat till im satisfied.. also organised front seats for a retrim.. back in fantastic condition so ill leave that. also been putting carbon fibre on the rex.. and i get my bus back soon. i leant to my sister.. gonna gut that n respray outside too.. asia motors super combi bus plated as mobile home.. going to clean the bus right up, then drive it to broome.. camp for a bit then sell it up there for a profit.. easy as considering i got it for 3.5k liscenced running... was problems with the cooling system.. was leaking coolant.. traced it to a rotted out copper hose joiner.. flushed radiator many many times.. been fine ever since.. yew

looks like this.. i think someone in the kimberleys will pay good money for it..

[ img ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 am 

Datto all cleaned up.. no rust left. ground, cut, treated ever speck i could find.. up to final sand to smooth it all and then the spray.. too busy so its shut down till weekend.. gonna look mint. well better.. im no panelbeater or bodywork pro, but i did the best job possible i could.. my first panels come up well hence the idea to do the lot. gonna be 1 clean datto

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:36 am 

pulled over by cops, inspected. they were very impressed.. hahaha "very nice" is better than a yellow sticker!