Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:00 pm 

Hi all,

Needing help fitting heater hoses from s14 sr in 1600
I couldn't find many pics of s14 setups on here, mainly s13

I'm wanting to run the heater using the factory holes in the firewall.

Would love if someone could look at my pic and answer my points below.

1. That first pipe at the back that leads to nowhere, what is it, can I get rid of it?
2. All the random emissions stuff circled, keep or remove?
3. The 2 pipes at the bottom I'm asuming is for the heater, can I just run a hose from the left pipe to the left firewall hole and the right to the right? Do I need to braze on a different size fitting?

Looking for the easiest option at the moment, if that means leaving a lot of the emissions gear attached, regardless if it's needed. Just want the heater hoses sorted!

Thanks!

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
image.jpg [ 193.65 KiB | Viewed 4075 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:49 am 

The two pipes at the bottom are the heater. If possible, make sure you get the flow direction around the right way (not that critical really). I just used the same pipe as factory and some CRC to help them go over. Some modification was required to get both hoses to exit at the correct distance, but this was fairly straight forward to cut as required.
All the other stuff you can find out what it does by looking up the S14 engine manual and tracing them accordingly.
I'm not sure what the rear one does...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:09 pm 

Thanks Nik,

Got the heater hoses sorted, el la vs como style.
Might need to run a reducer in the cabin to suit the datto heater tap size.

As for the pipe at the back, I've cut it off and blocked it.
Google says it's usually hooked up to the exhaust mani and bypasses exhaust gasses through the EGR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:32 pm 

I also made a small joiner from the engine to firewall. If I remember correctly it was the same diameter. Should make it fairly easy to remove the engine without disconnecting the heater hoses inside the car if it ever needs to be done... (touch wood)
I looked up the service manual PDF and couldn't find the EGR system. I also noticed one of the S14's had an oil cooler built in where the oil filter is. Mine didn't have that!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:11 pm 

Hi, I'm in the middle of swapping an S15 SR into a 1600 and want to get the heater working. The stock tap is buggered, are you still using the stock tap?

As far as I've researched (I'm really crap at google), the S15 doesn't run a tap and just blocks the vents at the core so no air flows through it into the cabin. With this in mind, does the SR need constant flow? ie install a tap that allows water to return to the engine rather than simply block the feed side. TIA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:09 pm 

I'm using the stock tap with an S14 SR20DET. Works like a charm and if you use a good quality coolant, it doesn't corrode!

My recommendation is to look up the Engineering Lubrication & Cooling Systems part of the S15 manual. You can download it from the internet. It's a very handy document to have and has all specifications from spark plug gaps to the torque to do up your bolts in the rear diff housing cover. I have attached a quick image of the cooling circuit from the manual.

I would think you are right based on a quick look. It must be constant flow. I would assume if you plumb the heater outlets with a tap there won't be any issues. If you look at the cooling circuit, it basically flows the same path as other cooling paths such as the throttle body, so you should be OK.
Anyone else on here agree?

Attachments:
[ attachment ]
S15 cooling circuit.jpg [ 83.04 KiB | Viewed 3952 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:23 pm 

Does everyone use Datsun heater hoses or sr hoses?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:45 am 

I saw a guy post a similar question on "Downunder Datsuns" the other day. A bloke recommended using a XY Falcon heater tap ( must be able to get them new?). Apparently you just have to swap the lever over, and the "open/close" cable needs to be mounted 90 degrees. I would upload the pictures but my internet is terrible at the moment.