Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Need suggestions?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:36 am 

The wife and me in our wisdom are taking on two 1600 rebuilds at the same time .Unfotrunately my wife is reduced to automatics only as she is in a wheel chair.The first Datsun we have had with it a L 20 and twinSU.'s with a T bar auto tranny.The other one we think is a L 16 or 18 and 4 speed.The question is do you think the L 20 with auto on SU .'s is OK or do you think maybe a L 18 on webbers and auto would be better.For my car I prefere the smaller1.6 or1.8 ltr motors and run A 5 speed. Which way do you think would be better.I just don't know what an auto is capable of.The other thing is the wife would like the exterior on both vehicles to look identical.My thoughts maybe same basic style but different colours .The interiors we are upolstering ourselves and these would be almost identical except for one being auto and the other manual.You girls "n" guys got any good ideas ?I hope to have both car bodies up on the rotisseries as soon as possible.Were are 2 old farts semi retired too.
Dats EZ.

Post subject: Re: Need suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:35 pm 

I'd use the L20B with the auto as the extra low down torque will help the driveablility. Those old Jatco autos are supposed to be mega reliable and strong but if you mate one to a modified engine you might have trouble getting the auto tweaked to suit. I don't know of anyone who plays with them.
L18 with webers and a hot cam is great with a five speed.

Good on you; I wish you and your wife all the luck in the world with your projects.

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Those Jatcos can be tweaked to suit. A lot of guys are running them behind rotaries now as the early RX-7s came with basically the same Jatco as Datsuns. I don't really know anything about what can be done, how much etc, as it is not something that interests me, but if you are keen I can try and find out from people who do.

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:46 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think I've seen in another one of your threads, the wife's car is SR20?
Why not put the auto behind the SR? I would imagine it would be a simple job and probably a smoother drive.
Cheers
Mick