Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Electric Water Pumps
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:47 pm 

Hi all,

Interested in if any of you had any contact with Electric Water Pumps, from Davies Craig.

Ive been reading about them and for around $300 and about 4 hours in the garage you can gain around 20 to 30 horsepower. It does this by removing the drag thats caused by the water pump at high revs.

I am thinking about getting one because my water pump is about shot and I wouldnt mind doing something a bit different that gives me some more power, what do you all think?

Regards,

Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:14 pm 

Autospeed basically said they were a waste of money. Here is their
story...
Tim

Vanished Water Pump
I was just wondering why you say the write up of the Davies Craig
electric water pump is no longer available? Did the pump not
increase power as per Davies Craig's claim?

Sean
US

RESPONSE
As quoted in place of Part One of that evaluation...

"We recently spent a great deal of time and energy extensively
testing the newly-released Davies Craig Electric Water Pump. The
story in this issue was intended to be Part 1 of a 3-part series on
this interesting device. Testing of the pump was carried out on two
different cars on both the road and dyno. As a courtesy, we showed
Davies Craig the test results that we had found. Unfortunately,
because of their responses, we now feel that we cannot bring these
stories to you.

Thinly veiled threats of legal action from large companies can do
that...

Julian Edgar"

Other than that we can't say too much - aside from the fact that none of the AutoSpeed staff cars are using the aforementioned product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:48 am 
I am using one because i had basicaly no room for fans in front of my FJ with the standard pump because of the radiator that i am using. Unfortunatly i havent driven the car yet so i cannot comment on the performance of the pump however i can say that in my case it took a bit of fiddeling around to get it to fit. The end result now looks pritty good i just hope it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:14 pm 
I've always thought it puts extra load on your battery, and therefore the alternator. Since the alternator has a resistance of it's own on the engine, aren't you back were you started?

Rod F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:46 am 

A water pump will always load your engine more than an alternator. Plus you tend to get cavitation at higher RPMs, which reduces the effective pumping action and efficiency.

I've also seen electric water pump drives made by Mallory (I think) which drive the existing water pump at a constant rate via electric motor, reducing load and eliminating cavitation. Seems like a pretty good setup, but you add the weight of the electric motor.

Cheers,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:54 pm 

i also doubt the preformance increase of a electric water pump.
I agree with you Rod. It goes by the law of concervation of energy, energy in = energy out and the other way round. And due to lenz's law if you draw more current on an alternator the same amount of power will have to be consumed as kinetic energy driving the alternator. so the electric power used to drive the pump will be converted to the same amount of kinetic energy back at the alternator.
and even worse when the alternator is under pressure, it is out of its efficiency (like nearly all l series alternators) it will consume more kinetic energy per unit power given out.

So why do people use thermofans? cause they switch off when the car is not in traffic or when the thermostat is open, which is most of the time.
This equals slightly more power sometimes!

I study this at uni daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:52 pm 

lampy wrote:
So why do people use thermofans? cause they switch off when the car is not in traffic or when the thermostat is open, which is most of the time.
This equals slightly more power sometimes!

I study this at uni daily
My electric water pump does this to! its set to come on at 80-90 (its been a while since i drove it) degrees C anything under that and its off!
I didn't really noticed a power gain but i did like the more constant temp that i was having, at the most it moved about 4 degrees no matter how i was driving or what temp the day was outside.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:22 pm 

well if anyone want a dc fan or water pump i can get them cheap. pm me if u want. or email me at midnightmods@optusnet.com.au