Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: SU carbs?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:26 pm 

I have a U67 head on my L20B at the moment....has 44mm intake and 35 exhaust.....I got it pocket ported by a head place....and I port matched the inlet.......de-burred the combustion chamber.....and have a mild cam ( not sure on what the specs are )......it's currently running the stock carbie.....( ran out of $ for side draughts )....but I do have a set of 38mm SU's....would these be better than the stock downdraught?....what needles would I want to use?

the other option is to buy a Z18ET for $500 and bolt it in.....but at the same time I would really like to know how my L20B would go with webbers/dellorto's.....but can only afford to do one or the other......

I would like the Z18...because it has more power, fuel injection...and bigger possibilities.....but I still want to know about the L20B...lol

any ideas???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:06 pm 
well the SU would definitly be better than the standard carb IF they are tuned in properly (or at least near enough). The specs for my engine is a little similar to yours with the port head (44mm valves), mild CAM & bore. I found that there were NO needles that really suited it, the standard needles would just get way lean above 3000. you'll prob have to profile it.
I reckon by the time you finish mucking around with the SU to get them running good, you might as well have spent the money and time on the Webers :roll:
I spent about a total of $4-500 for the carbs and custom tuning but I'm very happy with my SUs because it's my daily driver and I like the low down torque. but if you intend to get webers, then just stick to the standard carb for now, it's not worth all the trouble for a 'temp' setup.

I think with the Z18 you'll end up spending a lot more that $500 for the boltin engine. stuff like ECU, fuel pump and bits'n'pieces.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:11 pm 

so it wouldn't be worth putting the SU's on if I'm not gonna profile the needles?

the Z18 im looking at comes with the ECU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:10 pm 
well with my engine, before i got the needles profiled it would run on like sh*t and ping it's head off above 3500 :x . so yeah it's won't be that good. if it was a standard engine then it would be very worth while, but ported and CAM, prob not.

If I could get a running Z18 with ECU, loom and sensor for $500, I would be saying bye bye to my L20B :lol: but that's just me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 10:41 am 

lol....yeah...thats exactly what I plan to do....what sensor are you talking about?......I just gotta save up the $ to buy it now....hopefully noone else does before I can save up:)

ok...I'll forget about the SU's for now.....is there any easy way to get more out of a stock carb?....drilling the jets bigger?....bigger fuel pump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 4:20 pm 
Oh just the Airflow sensor and O2 sensors (I think, there may be more)

beore I got m y SUs I have tried to do something to the standard one, I hooked up the lever of the secondary butterfly so that instead of depending on the manifold vacum to open, it'll open when I floor it. didn't give me much in return but bad economy :lol: Don't think there's much you can do to the standard one, not that I know of anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:28 pm 

lol...ok...I'll just leave the L20 the way it is.....except maybe a decent arfilter...it's just using a stock one atm...

well...I have an O2 sensor on my L20 I can steal for the Z18....and I have a L28E airflow meter....which from what I've been told....
using : Z18ET with L28 AFM, VG turbo, FJ throttle body, intercooler, and a decent POD filter and stock ECU should be able to get 200HP +
:)
so thats where I'm hopefully headed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:07 pm 
the z18 will be more labour and dollars than you think.
The stock z18t only puts out 100kw at the fly or 70kw at the wheels. With a set of 40mm or 45mm webbers i bet you get more power and less stuffing around, think about it. My mate got 85kw @ the wheels with twin 45's and a cam on a mild 2-litre.....
Have you ever installed efi before?
Whose going to do the wiring?
What else is included with the engine? Computer, coils, fuel pumps, surge tank, etc.
Then theres exhaust including dump pipe fabrication and possibly rear crossmember exhaust hole enlarging etc. Then theres insurance! Big $'s when your as young as you sound.
Try not dream so much and do something which you can afford and understand.

("bigger fuel pump" to make your carby go better!!??) :lol:

Youve got to learn to crawl before you walk.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:45 am 

lol...well I don't know these things...thats why I ask...lol

but I'd do all the wirinng....I know enough about electrics....+ I have some diagrams already
won't the engine come with a dump pipe?
and I can't get insurance know as it is :(......well not from any normal companies...just the High risk ones....and they want around $600....so screw that

so with a set of 45 webbers...I should see around 85kw at the wheels?
what was his gas consumption like?

The other reason I want efi is because theres this one corner down the road from me that my engine cuts out on if I try to floor it around the corner.....I figure it's running out of gas....but I don't think it's big enough to be a problem at the tank end.....hence why I asked about the pump

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:34 am 

I have had a l20 twin 45's 1600 and then i put in a z18et into my 1600. I did the installation, put on a microtech computer, a turbo off a 300zx - VG, and for the very little horsepower that i gained, it wasnt worth the effort.

I only wish i had kept the l20b, i would have had a lot more money in my pocket and i would still have a reliable car. Im not saying that z18et motors arent great motors, after doing both i know which one i would prefer - The tough ass l20 with twin 45's, that cops a hiding day in and day out, and loves every minute of it.

Costs you have to consider:

EFI Fuel Line
Surge Tank
Electronic fuel pumps
Brake upgrade to get engineers?
engineers certificate
Blue slip to get new motor on rego papers
Getting an exhaust welded - the standard z18 dump probrably wont fit.

Plus other stuff i cant think of, it all adds up.

Martin

200b daily driver
180bsss fj20turbo FJC:00P
1600 being built
www.geocities.com/kicksbob/dato.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:49 pm 

mmmm k ......so any ideas on why the engine dies around the corner and how to fix it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:57 pm 

Oh...and in case you didn't know....some pics don't show up on your site....pretty cool site though! :)

is that CA18ET finished yet.....do you know what sort of power the single cam one puts out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 2:24 pm 
my car cuts out a little aswell but only going around corners in one direction, e.g. left handers etc. Make sure the fuel bowl is at the correct level in the sight glass. You cant expect too much performance from a standard carby. Webbers would fix that....

Fuel consumption sux but everyfast car drinks fuel like theres no tomorrow when your foots hit the floor......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:40 pm 

lol...yeah the corner I was talking about is also a left hander
yeah...the floats fine

yeah...it's just that my standard carbie already costs me a lot of $ to keep running...though thats probably due to the 4.6 diff and no 5th gear....lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:46 pm 
where did you source the 4.6?