Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:51 pm 

This is the Beast Fairlady :) (sounds weird together)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvq3Cm1nBU0
A vid with the sound of the 243hp 191lbs modern race car killer

Hopefully we can see into its engine bay or we ban this user :))

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 pm 

roadstersteve wrote:
Cheers,
Steve
(Datsun 2000 Sports roadster with a bored, stroked U20 making ~180hp)
I can vouch for steve's roadster, it for what it is hammers! Has no trouble dispatching late mod non-turbo 4cyls. Probably because of it being a great handling car as well as the huge amount of torque the stroker makes.
It needs more fj20et though!!!

Stu.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 pm 

I personally prefer the simplicity of 8 valves making torque and hp
at lower rpm than 16v headed engines.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm 

I prefer variable cam timing to make the most of all of the above.

<edit> Actually I prefer forced induction with a suitably matched supercharger/turbocharger to compliment said 16valve head.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 am 

SR20Datsun wrote:
I prefer variable cam timing to make the most of all of the above.

<edit> Actually I prefer forced induction with a suitably matched supercharger/turbocharger to compliment said 16valve head.
Naaahhhh!
Just stick to 16 valve, run it with twin 55 mm Weber carbs, no turbo, no supachargas,
my other little Datsun has one of these new technology 16 valve twincam engines, its developing 327 horsepower at flywheel, at 9000 rpmand 250 ft pounds torque
Its a FJ24, stronger than SRthingies!

My engine builder has a smaller FJ20, stock factory head, but with one of those modern turbowhizzbang things on the side, its making just on 1000 horses, does 7.25 down quartermile, has set new Australian record for class too, smart fella!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:54 am 

Is your FJ24 running race fuel?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:41 pm 

SR20Datsun wrote:
Is your FJ24 running race fuel?
It runs commercially available fuel, as per CAMS regulations.

Not pulp! Pulps burn rate is too vicious and leaves too much deposits on pistons, it isnt a clean burn. Fuel i use burns much slower, more thourough, and even flame front, and leaves internals very clean.

Octane rating is only a few points above 98 pulp. I wont touch E85, incompatible with my fuel systems,( good for injection engines though!) and too hard to get "right" on big breathing 55 mm Weber's or 50 mm Mikuni Solex's

Why do you ask?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:53 pm 

Just curious!
It's a fairly impressive HP figure (even if it is at the fly), and I wanted to know what chemical concoction you are running!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:58 pm 

dat2kman wrote:
327 horsepower at flywheel, at 9000 rpmand 250 ft pounds torque Its a FJ24, stronger than SRthingies!
thats some serious torque!!! not to mention hp!
dat2kman wrote:
My engine builder has a smaller FJ20, stock factory head, but with one of those modern turbowhizzbang things on the side, its making just on 1000 horses, does 7.25 down quartermile, has set new Australian record for class too, smart fella!
Umm dad should have kept his FJ20 1600 and taken it to this fella! :lol:
Almost into the sixes bloody incredible for such a heavy donk whats it in?
I remember the austin FJ days that used to own victor brays super pricey chev loved it!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:44 am 

D, you got it! Said Austin Healey driver, jeff watson, is one of the two chaps behind the 7.25 second times, Jeff's nephew, Ben Diggles, is my fj24 engine builder, and, Ben has fitted a FJ20 with a rather largish turbo running at from 30 something psi to 50 something psi, as the car gets moving. It is in a Modified, ie a very long rail or dragster, that had a big block fitted to it prior to Ben and Jeff tsking it on.
I race alongside Bens dad George, as well as Jeffs brothers, Laurie and Alan, occaisionally!

The original Victor Bray beating, top doorslammer FJ20 engined Austin Healey is still around, but with such a short wheelbase, it is far to scary to drive, ANDRA are not enthused at such things neing used!

Anyway, all a bit of history for some to enjoy!

Oh, and SR20Datsun, its no secret cocktail of fuel, just something that comes straight out of a few pumps from tanks, it does come with a bit of lead though, which helps the valve sets to not be so pounded

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 am 

FJ24? 2.4L right? And you're getting 250 lb-ft? That sounds awful high, given that even the most tuned race engines in the world (including F1) are struggling to reach 100ft-lb per litre. Anything between 80-90 is generally considered to be the goal for race engines. I'm curious to know how you manage over 100ft-lb per litre without forced induction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:47 am 

I'm curious about the torque/power too. It does seem awfully impressive at a high RPM level for a stroker motor.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:07 am 

You young fellers sound like doubting Thomas's! Its a FJ24. These were a Nissan Competioin special engine, no they are NOT a bored out and stroked fj20, so forget your thinking about Nissan 2 litre internals.
The fj24 was a purpose built ( approx 500 units made) to go into the 240RS rally cars to compete in the World Ralky Championships, in the early to mid 1980's. Back then they wete developing approx 280 hp and 230 ft lb. They ate a full race engine, dry sumped, external pil pumps, block bracing and thicknesses like nothing else Nissan made, the cylinder heads wer unique, not like fj20 at all, intake and exhaust manifolds were unique to the 2.4. Good gains wete made by changing cam profiles, and going from a 50 mm carbs to 55 mm carbs.
Thete were only 200 240RScars made, and only 30 were the full house competition version for rally use, plenty were converted and up-specced. My engine is one of rhe 30 special built ones. When it eas purchased new, in 1983 the price paid eas $25,000 AUD, or 9000 british pounds from Blydenstein' UK workshops.
There you go, a bit more history!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:15 am 

Back on topic, the U20 engine was developed at a time when manufacturing costs were not of great concern, hence the cylinder head of a U20 is almost the dame as a L Series FIA head, these L FIA heads most of you will only ever see a old black and white photo in a book of it. Nissan started to economise in late 1960's with vehicle and mechanical manufacture costs, hence the lesse ability L seroes engine eas produced, but thankfully, in huge quantities, with all kinds of sizes and in 4or6 cylinder config. Look at the ease of cross fitment of parts, if that isnt manufacturing economic scale, i dont know what is.
One thing, Nissan proved to the world, it can and did manufacture some very good engines, in the U20, the FJ24, and in some very limited specials ie V12 full race engines fitted into Sports Race Cars.
Some of which are on display at rhe museum at Yokohama, i have plenty of high res pics from there!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm 

Surprised no one has mentioned Gordon Dobies' Datsun 2000 (SR411?), which smashed the other production sports car competition in Australia when he ran it in the late sixties early 1970's from memory. Gordon set production sports car class records at many circuits. He later had the full race engine mounted in the shop front of his "Datsun Performance Centre", in Beach Road, Hampton Vic. for many years. I think the description with it claimed it produced 240HP.

Also remember a '67 Datsun 2000 off the showroom floor would do 125 Miles Per Hour, as fast as a Falcon GTHO would do in 1972. It had twin twin throat side draft mikuni's, close ratio five speed box and LSD standard, all pretty advanced at that time. Remember Holden and Ford had just discovered disc brakes, radial tyres, four speed boxes, and LSD's when the Datsun 2000 sports was released.

Its a pity the Datsun 2000 roadster body shape wasnt more like the other advanced rocket ship from Japan at that time, the Toyota 2000GT, may be its value would now be as high?.