Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: L18 Blow through (Turbo)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm 

Hi all,

So I have started collecting parts to build an L18 Blow through turbo engine. What I am hoping is that if anyone can see any potential issues with what I'm doing let me know. Or better still, if anyone has successfully done this, I would love to hear from you.

L18 with 5 speed
T3 turbo on custom exhaust manifold with external gate (6psi spring)
Custom dump pipe with wideband sensor
32/36 Downdraft Weber
Front mount cooler
VL fuel pump
Rising Rate fuel reg - (2-3PSI fuel pressure on vacuum)

Let me know if you see any issues with what I am about to do.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:38 am 

While it's all possible a blow through carby setup is difficult to make work well..... which is why you don't see them around.
I think that Weber made a 32/36 for a blow through application so that's a great starting point.
Remember that you'll need to get a distributor set up properly for this. I used a Series 2 Bluebird Bosch distributor with no mechanical advance and a custom vacuum advance/boost retard module. If you're in Melbourne I can recommend an ignition expert who can do this.
By the way, have you considered straight LPG? This has many advantages over petrol, like high octane rating, better mixture distribution, cheaper hardware and easier (cheaper) tuning. Remember it's easy to spend a fortune on dyno time getting a custom package running properly.
My 180B has an external gate T3 blowing through a custom intercooler and a Gas Research mixer with water injection. Again, if you're in Melbourne you're welcome to come and check it out. I may even be able to help you with some of the bits you'll need.
If you want to discuss it in more detail PM me your number and I'll give you a call.