Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: L20B series 2 910
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 am 

hi, have searched the forum and there is a lot of help when it comes to the L20B engine, but I am going to ask some questions

The series 2 seems to be holding back on power compared to my series one that I previously owned, it is running fine as in idling,start up and accelerating but just feel it lacks power and after reading up on this and other forums this is normal for a stock car,

but is there a simple way just to wake it up, what I have be told and feedback will be appreciated

better plugs, hotter plug ??
it is electronic ignition but a better coil option ???
advance the timing and if so to what ????
without changing the carby can it be modified to help it run, taking the pollution crap off or blocking some of the pipes

Post subject: Re: L20B series 2 910
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:27 pm 

First step is to make sure everything is working properly. Cars that old can have a heap of sneaky little things slow them down, like dodgy earths, a partially blocked exhaust, a stuffed vacuum secondary diaphragm on the carby. Also check for vacuum leaks and make sure the distributor advance mechanisms (both centrifugal and vacuum) are working as they should. Valve clearances need to be right and even carbon buildup on the backs of valves and in the combustion chambers can cause issues. You may have already checked all of these but if not any or all of them could be knocking the edge off your L20B's performance. And that 's just off the top of my head. There will be others.....

As for spark plugs, NGK BP6ES are spot on. Even if you change cam and carbies, they're fine.
Extra static distributor advance should only be tried if you're running higher octane fuel than standard. Be careful if you experiment with this.
A better coil may produce a small gain (a couple of bhp) but they usually aren't cheap. It's not legal to change the carby or disable the anti-pollution gear, although blocking the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) should give you lower intake air temperatures. You can run a cold air intake duct to the air cleaner. A good exhaust system (with the stock exhaust manifold) can help.

Unfortunately there are no simple tricks to get 20bhp more than stock. I wish there was. All you can do is make the most of what you have.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:13 am 

180BSSSt wrote:
First step is to make sure everything is working properly. Cars that old can have a heap of sneaky little things slow them down, like dodgy earths, a partially blocked exhaust, a stuffed vacuum secondary diaphragm on the carby. Also check for vacuum leaks and make sure the distributor advance mechanisms (both centrifugal and vacuum) are working as they should. Valve clearances need to be right and even carbon buildup on the backs of valves and in the combustion chambers can cause issues. You may have already checked all of these but if not any or all of them could be knocking the edge off your L20B's performance. And that 's just off the top of my head. There will be others.....

As for spark plugs, NGK BP6ES are spot on. Even if you change cam and carbies, they're fine.
Extra static distributor advance should only be tried if you're running higher octane fuel than standard. Be careful if you experiment with this.
A better coil may produce a small gain (a couple of bhp) but they usually aren't cheap. It's not legal to change the carby or disable the anti-pollution gear, although blocking the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) should give you lower intake air temperatures. You can run a cold air intake duct to the air cleaner. A good exhaust system (with the stock exhaust manifold) can help.

Unfortunately there are no simple tricks to get 20bhp more than stock. I wish there was. All you can do is make the most of what you have.

Good luck!

Hi, thanks for the info, it is exactly what i needed to know, have checked the earthing and it is good, will go over the rest on the weekend,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:21 pm 

drove the car around for 4 hours on Sunday and after a while i got a bit more confident in revving the car and putting my foot down, there was a lot more power there than i thought, i think the old bloke who owned it just putted around in it, now i certianly am not out to try and do a burn out in it or over rev it but felt the car was driving better and kept up with normal traffic fine, yet to go down the express way.

he was using petrol from 7/11 the supreme unleaded because it said super, he was adding valve saver to the tank, do i need to use 98 octane fuel, i know it helps with combustion and is a cleaner fuel but any unleaded will be fine as long as i don't use an e10 blend and just keep adding valve saver additive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:42 pm 

None of the L series engines require valve saver fluid.
As a general rule an alloy head engine doesn't require the stuff.

Just regular 91 octane will be fine in the l20b. They aren't exactly high compression from the factory

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:11 pm 

lampy wrote:
None of the L series engines require valve saver fluid.
As a general rule an alloy head engine doesn't require the stuff.

Just regular 91 octane will be fine in the l20b. They aren't exactly high compression from the factory

Ok Thanks Lampy