Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:55 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: L20B question
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:18 pm 

so i changed all the fuel lines under the bonnet, this meant taking off the air cleaner to get to the two fuel lines under it

I was surprised to see all the tubes, pipes and exhaust gear under this, my series one had half the crap that is on this series 2, my mind has gone in to melt down on how much stuff i would have to change to put on a set of extractors and am worried that if not done correctly there may running issues if staying with the standard carby set up

there are metal tubes coming of the exhaust manifold that come up to a joining tube that runs the length of the tappet cover, what is this is it there to burn of excess exhaust gas's

not sure if this is worth a discussion but i would like to know more before jumping into something that may create more problems than needed

Regards Norm

Post subject: Re: L20B question
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:06 pm 
Guru

That is why the S3 went to the CA20 engine- emissions were getting jumped on severely by the man.
I can scan the relevant pages of the Nissan Manual for you so you can mull over all of that crap.
Removal of the emission claptrap WILL incur the wrath on the powers that be :shock:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 pm 

Hey Nissanman, again you are there with a helping hand out, thx again

I have the car on Historic plates, so unless I do something silly the MAN doesn't need to know, will keep the stock look under the bonnet with the standard air cleaner

I do have a Gregorys service and repair manual but it didn't show much detail at all

I am not out to make a street rod of any type and at this stage will keep the standard carby, but my mechanic said he can do a sports tune on it with a few little upgrades but recommended a set of extractors and bigger exhaust, only going to 2 inch ( mild not wild )

my main concern is heading down this track and regretting it buy taking this all out to find that a carby upgrade will need to be done at a cost I don't want right now and having tuning problems, my mechanics is a good bloke and knows what he is doing just me wanting to make sure this is ok

My other thought was just to change the exhaust from the headers back at this stage

if you have time to copy some stuff for me that would be great, the more reading matter I get will help

regards norm

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 pm 
Guru

All done. Use this link to view all the files relating to the SI and SII Bluey: -
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/n9g6u8 ... 20%26%20II

Your file is the ..........EC.PDF file, [Emission Control].

Sorry about the faint scan but the Manual is also very faint in places :roll:

graemes@internode.on.net

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 pm 

Thanks Again, just had a bit of a browse over this and there is a lot of stuff going on under there.

so putting on a set of extractors would mean that most, well all of the exhaust air induction system will have to be removed

has any one just removed some of this stuff to gain performance, leave the headers and just block some of the tubes and plug the manifold, keeping the stock look, get some performance and try to hide it from the Man :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:02 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I think you will be sorely disappointed if you do all the work to install extractors "under cover" and don't do any upgrades to compression, camshaft, carburetors, ignition timing, head work, etc, etc and then expect some miraculous results to "get some performance" with a "sports tune"..... The standard L-series Nissan exhaust manifold is a pretty good design as is and, in combination with everything else staying relatively standard(ish) I think the best short term solution to consider would be to increase the diameter of the exhaust from the manifold to at least 2.25" or 2.5" throughout the system. I would then concentrate on getting every other system dialed in as best it can be to restore performance at least to factory specs (perhaps beyond with better fuels we have available now) while you plan next upgrades. This would provide a good basis for an upgrade to the engine (carbs, cam, headers, etc) down the track and then you'll also already have a good exhaust set up in the car that can be used, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:28 pm 

Pista_510 wrote:
I think you will be sorely disappointed if you do all the work to install extractors "under cover" and don't do any upgrades to compression, camshaft, carburetors, ignition timing, head work, etc, etc and then expect some miraculous results to "get some performance" with a "sports tune"..... The standard L-series Nissan exhaust manifold is a pretty good design as is and, in combination with everything else staying relatively standard(ish) I think the best short term solution to consider would be to increase the diameter of the exhaust from the manifold to at least 2.25" or 2.5" throughout the system. I would then concentrate on getting every other system dialed in as best it can be to restore performance at least to factory specs (perhaps beyond with better fuels we have available now) while you plan next upgrades. This would provide a good basis for an upgrade to the engine (carbs, cam, headers, etc) down the track and then you'll also already have a good exhaust set up in the car that can be used, too.
Hey Pista_510, yes I agree, my mechanic wants me to get the extractors first but I as well don't see the full benefit for this right now, yes it may be an easy gain in power but a waste if not done with other upgrades as you mentioned.

I was only going to do a 2" exhaust with hot dog and hi flow mufflers and then some smaller upgrades
like hotter plug, timing and valve adjustment and a upgraded coil/leads and air filter and a good tune

the car runs real nice as it is and am just looking for some more response at this stage, a bit more noise would be nice as well and accept that unless big mods are done there will not be a huge gain in horse power

thanks for your feedback