Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: Monster A series
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:12 am 

Hey guys!

so a while back and mate and i built the motor in my sunny, nothing TOO crazy, just a nice lump enjoyable engine.... but recently we've been talking a lot of "what ifs" and we're now walking down the path of buildings a monster of an A12.... ideally power figures aren't important at this time, whatever it makes, it makes, i know there's a lot of heated discussions on whether or not an A series can hit 200hp at the fly, thats not what this is about, rather it's more a case of building whatever we can, without limitations, it might be a bit of a hand grenade, but thats fine....

but looking into naturally aspirated, potentially staying under 1300cc (i have a love for TS cup cars) strait methanol, grouted head, massive compression, re-shaped combustion chambers, dry sump'd, 10kprm+ etc etc.... sort of whatever it takes....

obviously we could get more power from a swap, or forced induction etc, this is about pushing an A series to the limit, a kind of "what if TS Cup cars didn't have class limitations aside from capacity, and induction.... has anyone genuinely looked into going down this path? is there anything specifically you've found or sourced to suit? while we're both capable of choosing parts, and doing assembly work etc, and we have people for machine work.... the more input we can get from people who have looked into things, the better....

things like Head design, which head would be the better choice if you were to grout up the water jacket and port the daylights out of it? GX heads are the go to, but are they the best starting point when going this far with them? obviously more cubes is beneficial, but would sticking with a smaller piston achieve more once we get the revs through the roof, longer stroke vs smaller? at what sort of RPM will standard rocker arms fail?

so yeah, thanks in advance for any pointers.... it's just a fun project for the two of us, to push our boundaries and try and achieve something a little more difficult...