Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:35 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: engine assembly :o)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:37 pm 

i'm soon to be building a turbocharged engine for a mate of mine's car he plans to drag race. it's an, um...."older" straight six engine with pushrods and siamese port head.

so yeah, a 202. now please, i'm not looking for info pertaining to said engine, more on the assembly side of things and what to look out for, considering i have never built and engine FROM SCRATCH.

the head will be professionally machined with bigger valves (using the VK 12port head), Rhodes lifters and iskendarian springs.
a crow cam, pushrods and actuators are being fitted.
the bottom end is copping ACL HQ racing pistons with a 30cc dish machined in them to bring the CR down to 7.2:1, moly rings and ACL bearings.
block is copping sleeves in the water / oil jackets (and recesses in the head) and i'm not "o" ringing the block at all, just relying on a thin copper head gasket and good tune. rods and crank will be shotpeened and polished (like a mirror) with chamfered oil galleries.
other than that, nothing is being done except for a light hone and the journals checked for trueness.

i consider this a very budget build (except for the rhodes lifters), but as stated i'm going to have to put all this together myself.

when i have the machine shop work their magic, do they work out all the clearances? is there anything i have to worry about when bolting the bottom end together - like fitting the bearing shells and crank or is it all straight forward once everything has been worked out?

i do plan on getting a manual for this, but just after little tricks and snags etc etc

cheers 8)

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:19 pm 

Okay, you're not the only poor fool who's tinkered with red motors! :D

Get a manual for the simple reason that you'll have a ready reckoner for factory torque settings and clearances. And it can help jog the memory when the brain fade gets to you. Nothing fancy, just a Gregory's or Haynes.

What conrods are you using? Please use either aftermarket rods or Blue/Black motor rods. Red motor rods are best used as fishing sinkers. Use decent rod bolts too - I still have a beautifully balanced and polished Holden rod which is also terminally bent due to a faulty rod bolt. :?

Rhoades lifters are great, but really require a high-volume oil pump.

As with any engine build, be prepared to fit and test fit all the parts a few times - always double check the machine shop's work. Get some plastigauge for checking bearing clearances. :wink:

202's hate revving and vibrate like a dildo. If you don't want to see 6" long cracks in the block behind the lifter galleries, I'd advise getting all reciprocating parts balanced professionally as well. :!:

The main thing you'll take away from this excersise is a greater appreciation of how tough good Japanese engines are! :wink:

Best of Luck,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:26 pm 

yeah the only red bit left is the block. blue crank, blue rods, black 12port head. ARP studs and a good balancing is mandatory. i'll have to run a high vol pump to keep pressure up to the mains with the chamfered oil holes, so no biggie there.

i told him to swap in an RB30 with an RB25DE head, but he wants a 202 - so be it.

the test bed will be an HJ kingswood and then we'll lose some weight and slot the combo into a starfire corona :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:14 am 

i've got a tip for you aaron... tell him about nissans :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:12 am 

he's a holden man thru and thru.
i can get 400 rwhp out of a turbo 202 using a prepped factory bottom end so it's no issue power wise or $$$ wise.

he's building a slat flat racer style of car. satin black, lowered on redwalls, minimal interior etc etc.

i don't think an RB25DET or VH45DE would suit it really.