Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 4:57 pm 
Old Digger

mm big trubo equals lag. Big intercooler equals presure loss.

Expensive cooler eg Apexi or HKs equals great flow and super cooling.
The right sized trubo on tuned heaers of the $$$$$types equals sh*t loads of power. These guys pro240c is talking about have to have sent lots of dough for that kind of power with no short cuts taken.
I have seen in Japan many R33 and R34's making around 900-1000rwhp on just 100ron fuel. As I said before some of the perfomance Japanese turbos are worth 2 times maybe more than a hot L series engine then every thing else. on top of that. With a turner that has his head screwed on right you can achive these figures. Wish I had a money tree :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:41 pm 

yellowdat,

there is nothing special about the brand name jap stuff and to think otherwise is crazy. oh and your definition of a `hot L-series' must be rather different to mine. hot to me implies doing everything that can be done. the engine in my dreams will end up owing me the best part of 20K.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:15 am 

pro240c wrote:
wait a minute - 1000 rear wheel KILOWATTS? as in 1 megawatt?

that's like 1300kw at the engine - maybe up to 1500kw depending on the driveline. is this eddy tassone's car?
not sure it was in a mag that came with hot 4's this moth i think it was a vc commodore with a vh front

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:31 am 

thehelix112 wrote:
yellowdat,

there is nothing special about the brand name jap stuff and to think otherwise is crazy. oh and your definition of a `hot L-series' must be rather different to mine. hot to me implies doing everything that can be done. the engine in my dreams will end up owing me the best part of 20K.

Dave
hmmm well 20k is my entire budget that is body/dif/engine acc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:02 pm 
Old Digger

Nothing special WTF.
Who are you kidding. You can't tell me that a Jap cooler that has had 100's of hours of RnD won't outperform your local shop building a big cooler out of a truck core??? As for turbos the jap brands are the ones to buy if you want reliable high power. 20k on an L series engine is crazy crazy crazy. I would spend no more than 8k on the whole lot drive train and engine. For that money you could buy a half cut whith a bit left over for bolt on mods. I would love to see your project when compete. Not having a go at you. And wish you luck with your build.
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:42 pm 

well 20k was absoulutley everything to get rwc paint/rust auto to manual conversion suspension the whole kit i think it still might be a bit of over kill but i dont want to under cut myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:49 pm 

ok so from what i have got i should get the con rod stud kit and block also i was reading about intercoolers would i be better off going for a air/air or air/water

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:23 pm 

Quote:
would i be better off going for a air/air or air/water
for the love of god, PLEASE don't open this can of worms.

the crux of it is, A2A is cheaper, W2A is more efficient for a daily driver but generally costs almost twice as much.

i personally won't get into any more detail than that and i hope no-one else does either. you decide what is right for you.

The Republic of Western Australia -
Propping up the Nation's Economy since 1901.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:04 pm 

oooh i think i struck a nerve.

how do i know what is best for my application?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:16 pm 

pro240c wrote:
like i said, it's just going from people i've talked to.

the most power i've ever had is 217rwhp in my RX7 so i wouldn't know personally about big power figures.

maybe around 400hp seems the limit because of the size of intercoolers they have to use to keep the car for street use...?

dunno :?:

i'll shut up now.
V8 Big Block Mark Hayes 749.4
V8 SB Turbo/SC Michael Vrljic 833.2
V8 SB N/A Andrew Anderson 437.2
6cyl Turbo/SC Graham Tawse 613.3
6cyl N/A Russell Richardson 267
4cyl Turbo/SC James Palamara 602.9
4cyl N/A N/A
Rotary Trb/SC Joe Nsair 630.0
Rotary N/A N/A

http://www.summernats.com.au/livecam_dyno.html

All on pump fuel (as per the hp heros rule)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:36 pm 

okay cool. i guess that blows that theory out of the water :!:

but are they true "daily driver" spec or are they race cars / dyno monsters with license plates...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:54 pm 

NFI, but there would be no reason why they couldnt be dailys... Just need stronger internals.

Like that 800hp@wheels (something like that) R34 that the 19 year old crashed recently. That was a daily and ran on pump fuel. 80k on the engine or something stupid though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:42 pm 

Mad1600 wrote:
NFI, but there would be no reason why they couldnt be dailys... Just need stronger internals.

Like that 800hp@wheels (something like that) R34 that the 19 year old crashed recently. That was a daily and ran on pump fuel. 80k on the engine or something stupid though!
LOL if i spent 80K on an engine i'd want it to run on whatever i damn well felt like at the time!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:43 pm 

Mad1600 wrote:
pro240c wrote:
like i said, it's just going from people i've talked to.

the most power i've ever had is 217rwhp in my RX7 so i wouldn't know personally about big power figures.

maybe around 400hp seems the limit because of the size of intercoolers they have to use to keep the car for street use...?

dunno :?:

i'll shut up now.
V8 Big Block Mark Hayes 749.4
V8 SB Turbo/SC Michael Vrljic 833.2
V8 SB N/A Andrew Anderson 437.2
6cyl Turbo/SC Graham Tawse 613.3
6cyl N/A Russell Richardson 267
4cyl Turbo/SC James Palamara 602.9
4cyl N/A N/A
Rotary Trb/SC Joe Nsair 630.0
Rotary N/A N/A

http://www.summernats.com.au/livecam_dyno.html

All on pump fuel (as per the hp heros rule)
......................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ok can someone please explain to me HOW THE HELL you can get a accurrate dyno reading from a 700+ rwhp car ???

I mean come on, I have seen plenty of cars with half that power, tied(strapped) down with guys in the boot and the wheels still fry on the rollers.

It all seems like a lot of "Wank" to me.
Hell my old mans TT Soarer with 230rwkw was frying its tyres.
(oh it does have an LSD before anyone asks)

So can someone explain to me right now how you can keep a car with more than 3-4 times the Soarers power from doing the same ?????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:25 pm 

YELLOWDAT wrote:
Nothing special WTF.
Who are you kidding. You can't tell me that a Jap cooler that has had 100's of hours of RnD won't outperform your local shop building a big cooler out of a truck core???
First of all, not all jap companies pour 100s of hours into their products, and not all local people don't E.g. www.are.com.au. They do AWESOME work, easily comparable to HKS (I saw a HKS cooler on the front of an S13 with almost identical end-tanks to my ARE cooler).
YELLOWDAT wrote:
As for turbos the jap brands are the ones to buy if you want reliable high power.
You can't just make wild generalisations like that. I'm sure some jap turbos are good. Just as I'm sure some yank turbos are good. Also, it really depends what you mean by `reliable', the GT42 garrett will give you 900hp til the cows come home, is this not reliable?
YELLOWDAT wrote:
20k on an L series engine is crazy crazy crazy. I would spend no more than 8k on the whole lot drive train and engine. For that money you could buy a half cut whith a bit left over for bolt on mods.
Yep, and I know which I'd rather have! You can't seriously tell me that you think a 20K L28 wouldn't be stronger than a stock RB26? Any stock engine is only so strong, and any decent engine (which we all know the L is) with a full race-prepped billet-forged bottom end is going to be stronger.
YELLOWDAT wrote:
I would love to see your project when compete. Not having a go at you. And wish you luck with your build.
Cheers
I know you're not having a go. :) Neither am I. I like discussion.

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD