Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:37 am 

Hi, have done an Ozdat search and haven't found much on the topic.

Have an L18 (think is 1898cc) in a rally car which currently has a copper head gasket. Think it has a slow leak of oil into the radiator, but doesn't appear to be leaking water into the oil. However, I noticed there is a little condensation on the Cam and in the rocker cover, once I removed the rocker cover.

Went in a rally about 4 weeks ago. Was getting a little hot, but the timing wasn't right, so not sure if head gasket related. Was going to take car for a dyno next week, so I could get the mechanics to look at it or I could change the head gasket now, before it is dynoed.

Which head gaskets are the best and how much are they and who sell them? What progression of oversize do they come in?

Does anyone else use copper head gaskets and/or had problems with them? Maybe I should just reuse the copper gasket again???

Thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:42 am 

I have a Genuine NISMO head gasket that I can part with for $200.
Should solve all your problems.
It was destined for my L18 powered Rally car , but Uni has but the dampeners on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:48 am 

Maybe the water passage is leaky a little bit in the front cover?
Im not a head gasket expert but isnt the copper ones the choice ones to get.
I heard you can heat them up to expand them? Is this correct.?

The Nismo gaskets are exp$$ but have a bigger bore opening 87mm & a 88.5mm as my USA motorsport book lists

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:00 am 

Thanks guys, reply so quick, excellent.

I may not have heated the copper one up enough last time I used it (ie to get it soft again) and so maybe that is the problem. This copper gasket was made locally in Hobart and I have used it a few times before (by heating it up and using hi-temp copper gasket cement).

Not sure if the copper gasket is going to be as reliable as getting a NISMO one. Maybe I didn't put it on properly. Its not worth my time, replacing the copper gasket again if I still have problems, especially if a NISMO one might solve my problems. I'd rather spend $200 to save time. But is it a better option?

Datsss73 : what oversize is the gasket? Sounds like I may need to buy your gasket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:06 am 

PM me if you are interested mkyle.
I just used my el'cheapo vernier calipers on the NISMO gasket , it was reading 88mm bore diam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:11 am 

thanks guys, Datsss73 I have sent you a pm.

Would also like to hear from anyone else who has used a copper head gaskets before. Good or bad.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:32 pm 

Hi Datsss73, still having problems with pm. Could you please email me direct. ta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:31 pm 

Location: Darwin. Home of the Rice Car ShitHeap Lancer/Excel and really gay numberplates.
maybe just get that copper one annealed before re-using perhaps??

Cheers

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:44 pm 

so to ask another Q but on this head gasket topic i have oil coming out of the head. and i just replaced the head gasket with a nissan one. is there someone where i can get a GOOD one for a z18?
or will the one thats for sale for 200 bucks for the L18 fit?
any help would be great. once again sorry for not making a post but i have the same problem and maybe this could help us both out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 pm 

This one really depends on a number of things;

First - the standard gaskets actually work ok, you need the nismo gasket if you have larger than an 88m bore (eg 89).

I ran a copper gasket and used a sealing compound with it, silver high temp stuff (can find the name if ur interested). But if u are using a copper gasket I expect that the block is also been o'ringed, if so it now gets real interesting if you use a Nismo gasket (or a normal one) as to where the rings are in relation to the metal part of the gasket.

Copper gasket are fine bit tempermental, they like having little leaks when cold. Mine however does not put oil into the water - this is bad, it also mean that not as much oil gets to the CAM if it is a major leak.

mine just drops a few drops on the side of the block when cold, when hot no problems.
prob due to different expansion rates and as things heat up I guess the gasket and the head expand more than the bolts - uping the headgasket tension.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:26 pm 

spandex wrote:
so to ask another Q but on this head gasket topic i have oil coming out of the head. and i just replaced the head gasket with a nissan one. is there someone where i can get a GOOD one for a z18?
or will the one thats for sale for 200 bucks for the L18 fit?
any help would be great. once again sorry for not making a post but i have the same problem and maybe this could help us both out
If you have used a Genuine Nissan Gasket and you still have leaks then I would be looking at sumthin other than the gasket as the source for your dramas. Sounds like the head is warped to me. It will need to be straightened or thrown away if warped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:19 am 

Just an update on my situation with my leaking head gasket.

Datsss73 kindly sold me a nismo head gasket and with the help of Baz's advice (there is a procedure of torquing the head 3 times to 55lbs, running the motor without water for about 3-4 min (until spit sizzles near spark plug) and retorquing the head - for more detail refer Baz) everything is fine with the engine with no leaks. Whilst the head was off we pressure tested (to check for any leaks) and lightly plained the head.

Maybe the copper head gasket didn't work well because it wasn't properly annealed? Or maybe the copper gasket is a bit too thick and a slightly thinner one would have squished up a bit better.

Anyway had no problems with the nismo gasket, thanks Datsss73 & Baz.