Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC+11:00

Would you be Interested in a NA power thread ? please dont vote without adding to the discussion.
Yes 87%  87%  [ 13 ]
No 13%  13%  [ 2 ]
Total votes: 15
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:54 pm 

OMFG......Forget about the NOS if everyone is gonna bitch about it FFS.

I dont see NOS as forced induction, but hey who am I to argue......

Like I have said if someone has went to the effort of installing a NOS system onto their NA motor then hey, they deserve the right to include their figures, with and without NOS.

I did not want to start a Bitch session about NOS, or whever it is or is not a type of FI. I think everyone who has started on that route has missed the point........

Does anyone have anything to add to the debate other than "NOS is/isnt FI" ???

I would like to see this thread get started and not blocked by a useless debate on what NOS is or is not.

If that means dumping NOS as a guidline for the thread then hey, sh*t happens. I doubt many have used the stuff anyway.

1977 P610/180B Wagon Daily Driver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 4:06 am 

thehelix112 wrote:
I dispute point 2.

http://www.elfracing.com/pdf/S023002.pdf

``the high oxygen content improves the volumetric efficiency of the engine''

`The world is grey Jack!'

Dave
I give up! Clearly you guys cannot even differentiate between fuel additives and altogether different fuels... :roll:

3.6% oxygen content only sounds high, until you realise ambient air has about 25% oxygen content...

if anyone wants to disput the fact the N20 is supercharging, please provide somethig approaching an actual reason... is that too much to ask?

rather than a link to a totally diferent fuel formulation that costs in the order of $8/L, or some totally unsubstantiated statement like "I don't believe its supercharging..." Let everyone in on the reasons you don't believe this, or shut up. Why don't you see NOS as fored induction, Datsss73? I'm dying to hear your well reasoned explanation...

if you really want other reasons why a dyno sheet comparison is a wank, I'll be happy to provide that... For starters I have personally seen over 30% disparity between diferent dynos. Secondly, some people here will never believe that other 2000cc L series can make as much power as theirs, despite relatively mild cams or whatever. So what's the point? You may as well have a street racing times section...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:36 am 

Whoa, chill guys, try to not make Daves prediction come true! Both sides have a point here, try to go beyond seeing your own point of view.

From www.m-w.com

One entry found for aspiration.

Main Entry: as?pi?ra?tion
Pronunciation: "as-p&-'rA-sh&n
Function: noun
1 a : audible breath that accompanies or comprises a speech sound b : the pronunciation or addition of an aspiration; also : the symbol of an aspiration
2 : a drawing of something in, out, up, or through by or as if by suction: as a : the act of breathing and especially of breathing in b : the withdrawal of fluid or tissue from the body c : the taking of foreign matter into the lungs with the respiratory current
3 a : a strong desire to achieve something high or great b : an object of such desire

Note definition 2. To aspirate is to draw something (not just air) in. On the other hand putting strict definitions aside, nitrous is generally considered a form of supercharging, not because it compresses the inlet but because it increases oxygen density in the inlet - which is exactly the goal for forced induction.

This really is a bit of bother considering noone is probably ever going to use it (as has been mentioned), and it is illegal on the street (as far as I know?) anyway. How about as a resolution we consider a couple of threads - N/A, NOS, S/C, Turbo, Turbo L series etc?

Then at least there would be a common place for people to ask how to turbo an L series :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:45 am 

Datsss73 Bangs head against desk repeatedly................

Just forget it. I can understand why the mods cracked up last time.

Does anyone have anything to add to the debate other than "NOS is/isnt FI" ??? It would seem not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 9:30 am 

Datsss73 wrote:
Does anyone have anything to add to the debate other than "NOS is/isnt FI" ???It would seem not.
Now where would the fun be in that ?.........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:08 am 

L18_B110,
Nice little stab mate. Pretty pathetic that you decide to throw it in another thread.

Pull your head out of your arse and realise that not everyone will always agree with you. You are not always right even if you like to think you are. Telling people you are right does not change this situation.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Learn to accept this, grow up and move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 10:09 am 

I was hoping that I was adding something by suggesting a split into seperate threads to try to have some middle ground. Maybe as another idea dont run it as a top 10 thing, just a sticky thread to post results, first post has a list (could get pretty long) of all the dyno readings, dyno type, air temp (?) etc, and each person then details thier mods in thier own post?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:15 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

easy solution people.

the rules will be NO NOS!

like it or lump it :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:01 pm 

Bob260,
My L20b has one nitrous nozzle per runner on the datrally manifold. I mounted them up simply because I had all the n2o gear sitting around and thought it would be interesting to try it out. I can run up to 250hp (planning on starting with 75hp) worth of n2o which I would like to try out on the drag strip to see how effective it is. I am hoping to have it set up for the NDSOC drag day at Heathcote if I get some time to do some work to my car.
Some of us are keen to learn all aspects of automotive performance modifications and appreciate different forms of acheiving hp.

Who cares who makes the most power anyway. I personally like circuit racing/bitumen rallys, others like rally/motorkhana's, some like drags, some do dyno comps/shows, and some think drift is where the future is. A well set up car for any discipline should be appreciated for what it is.
Jake
*sits back, puts his feet up, "Hey Dave, give us some popcorn"*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:43 pm 
Guru

how about good old fashioned CH3NO2?
50% O2 by weight. thats not injected . :wink:
played with this for a while. seems that within reason the % in fuel is proportional to power increase.
and i suppose water injection is out.
:wink:
dont take the above seriouly :lol:

I believe that Dave ( helix) has it right with before & after comparisons.

I too smile when i see claims of high KWs of NA L series.
I know what it costs & the work involved to see a real 200HP plus L series (engine dyno).

So lighten up lads, whats it matter what some one claims as power out put. The old addage still rings true.

" when the flag drops, the bullsh*t stops"

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:57 pm 

bob260 wrote:
I was hoping that I was adding something by suggesting a split into seperate threads to try to have some middle ground. Maybe as another idea dont run it as a top 10 thing, just a sticky thread to post results, first post has a list (could get pretty long) of all the dyno readings, dyno type, air temp (?) etc, and each person then details thier mods in thier own post?
Thats exactly what I was getting at. No Top ten, No competion just info on members motors with dyno sheets. I cant see why someone cant post up if they have a NA motor on NOS in a Datsun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 6:05 pm 

Baz wrote:
I too smile when i see claims of high KWs of NA L series.
I know what it costs & the work involved to see a real 200HP plus L series (engine dyno).
Yeah, everyone should put the real $$$ value of their build as well :lol:
Don't let you wife see this :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 8:22 pm 

Datsss73,

Sorry, I had it in my head that it was going to be a top ten kind of thing, dont know why. If it is just a list rather than a competition then I cant see any reason why all different types of motors couldnt be in there.

turbo510,

Should be a pretty wild setup, it would be interesting trying to stay rubber side down when a 250hp shot of gas hits!
Quote:
Some of us are keen to learn all aspects of automotive performance modifications and appreciate different forms of acheiving hp.
I dont quite understand this comment. I hope I havent come across at any stage as having a shot at anyone, if I have been interpreted as doing so then I assure you it is not the case. N02 is something that I have always found intruiging, but have never personally thought of playing with on any of my cars. I am also interested in any way of increasing hp from a motor, and I think that would ring true for the vast majority of people here, otherwise they would be off playing with fibreglass wings for thier barinas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:45 am 

Bob,

You haven't come across as anything other than enthusiastic and interested to me. I'm sure Jake feels the same. :)

Dave

AUS Project: 1972 1600, 3200km old S15 SR20DET, ground up rebuild. SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:03 pm 

Bob,
That was not directed at you, just a general statement.
I just cant understand why some people think NOS is cheating. My beleif is you make hp whatever way you see fit. If you want to stay NA or go forced or chemical or whatever means go for it.
If you get good results I respect that.
Jake