Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:44 pm 

Was driving my (bog stock) 1600 home... had just revved it out in second
up hill (not too much!) - going for third when it bogged down really bady. No power, only kept it running (barely) by constantly stabbing the accelerator -- still wouldn't pull though. Only got home by pulling the choke right out which caused it to idle v fast and pull ok at higher revs. Immediately no power if put choke back in. Had a brief look with the air filter off when i got home - no obvious probs.... vacuum line to dizzy looked ok, throttle and choke looked
ok. Ring any bells for anyone?

Cheers, Neil

Last edited by Neil on Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:34 pm 
Old Digger

Carby could be blocked up. Setup your compressor on a low psi if you have one and blow throught the fuel line. It has worked for me before. you might need to rebuild the carby. Maybe time to add a down draft webber or a holley :D . Did you check all your ignition parts? dizzy cap, rotor, points, sparkies? Hope the fault finding is quick and simple for you. Brad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:15 am 

My weber DGV did this once.
It would run only with the accell pump from the carb(see the squirting of gas in main barrel)
My main fuel jet was plugged with a tiny rock that was blocking when I went faster.Idle was fine.the Weber DGV the second barrel would open mechanically and was enough to get me home with the choke ON

PS If carb doesnt idle but runs with you pushing the pedal in /out then its the idle jet is plugged(dirty fuel) More common in the datsun trucks than the 510.Since the truck tank is outside and get road dirt into system from the rubber intake spout to tank happen 2 time on my truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:10 am 
Guru

Sounds like the primary main jet has a bit of crap in it,
remove the jet plug in base of carb & blow it out with air.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:43 pm 

Thanks guys

I tried the primary plug .... even took the main jet out, which looks ok.
My 'compressor' consists of a hand pump for blowing up airbeds that some ex-tennant left in our garage :( . At least I learnt where the main jet is :)

The car idles ok ..... goes ok for about a hundred yards then dies in the
arse with the same symptoms. Guess its time to take the carby off and/or get a compressor. Its definitely something in the carbie rather than lack of fuel per se ... can see plenty of fuel throgh the glass window even when its in
gutless mode.

Cheers, Neil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:46 pm 

Hmmmmm .may be I didn't learn where the main jet is ....:(.

Just took the carby off and found the main jet plug .... right next to the secondary that I took off earlier!! So aplogies Baz, reckon you were probably right. Anyway it good do with a good clean and a new rubber boot thing on the acclerator pump if nothing else, so its probably for the best. Anyone know where I can get bits for this carb. in Melb preferably, but anywhere will do.

Cheers, Neil.

Hmmm Brad .... a Holly? I don't think so!! A downdraight webber could be ok, but I'm determined to keep this car stock. I'll do all that stuff to the other one (one day)...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:59 pm 

Cleaned up the carby with lots of carby cleaner, rubber boot off another carbie. A couple of new hoses. Pulls like a (very small) train! :lol:

Went to pick-a-part in Ringwood. Al found a Datsun logo gear knob sitting on
the passenger seat of a stanza. I went and asked the guy how much for
a gear lever and knob. $60 (yes, really!) & $5.50 respectively. Went back and got the knob. Last time I saw something similar it went for $50 or so on e-bay. Whats the deal with the $60 gear lever though?? They sell cv shafts for less than that.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:09 pm 
Old Digger

Neil nothing wrong with holly's I used to have a 180 holley on my first 1600. It was cheap and provided good power and $$$ saving on the go juice. It also looked close to stock