Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:09 am 

ello all im goign to put a ca18 into my 16
just wonding wat fitting kits everyone uses and the pro's and con's of them
and also what power thay made in stock form.
cheers any info would be good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:13 pm 

Dude do a search on the kit, this has been covered many times befor (mainly for the SR but same/same)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:44 pm 

i know man. but its just crap i looked, i want to know any problems ppl had i know this is worse then a SR20 into 1600...
but i got 3 weeks before i get a kit and want to know wats good and whats sh*t
im thinking of goign for CM510 ca fitting kit. anyone used it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:11 am 

no one goign to help me out :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:22 am 

well try searching harder...:!:

http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3171&start=0
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3652&start=0
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2297&start=0
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t= ... itting+kit

...or asking more specific questions :idea:

The 1600

Recommended traders: Nissanman, pro240c, 2door510, Datsport, mkyle, Green510, Um_510, jdmdatsun510, Ludachris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:07 am 

did anyone replace parts before putting the motor in?
or cheak things like water pump or so on?
ill have it on the stand for a few months so might as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:45 pm 

Spandex i got heaps of CA18DE n DET info... any questions ask n ill c what i have in my folders or hard disk.

I have two engines i wanna rebuild for my dats, if your just gonna drop it in there i would recomend thouroughly cleaning the engine exterior with a mix of kerosene and phenyl mix bout 20% phenyl, brush it on and it works like a degreaser then wipe off with wet rag n dry with another but dry obviously...

During this stage check over the engine look for pipe locations, missing temp sensors, stuck butterfly valves in lower inlet manifold, and make sure u have all the neccesary items such as starter, alternator, gearbox, ecu and wiring.

If your just recieving the engine, remove the rocker cover and look inside check for oil cleaness and possible rust from sittin, be thourough these engine have alot of problems but if corrected they are an awsome engine, definatly worth comparing to the sr20... not tryin to start anythin...hehe :wink:

Problems:

*Head Problems*
Drop oil and look for Sludge they have the worst headgaskets from factory made out of some brittle sht, and most r removed due to replacement cost rather than just changin a headgasket... go figure
To correct this theres many avalible headgaskets from copper, metal, and stronger composite, i have chosen not to use the one which came with the gasket kit due to it being crap...

*Bottom End Problems*
Theres these little wedged in the crank that seal up factory oil passages during milling, they have a habbit of falling out which causes starvation of oil to the main bearings, if you remove your sump they u may find them in there and theres a few ways of going about fixing it, one is to find the hole and drive the suckers back in but this is only a temporary fix i am looking at a way to grub screw them in and then get it peened over ive heard of this workin
this starts with a knock during any time running hot or cold, under load or not... and is usually misdiagnosed as being a head problem
***Do not let this go on for to long or your engine will not be salvageble with major crank and block damage...
Pistons do not like high boost... so take it easy with forgies i dont think its a problem

*Coil Problem*
Soon ill do a post on how to remove the in head coils to external coils setup it involves gettin some external bosch coils and running them from the stock ignightor, they foul due to the temp where there usually located, if your leaving them in for now clean the conections and part what goes to the plug top with electrical cleaner this will stop alot of misfirings as the connections are usually dirty

Buy the engine manuals of ebay for like 10 bux and it will have all the basic things you will need... alot of wiring diagrams and tunning tips

I like the CA and it can a worthwhile investment if you treat it with respect, if your aim is to thrash the sht out of it 24/7 go with a FJ cause it will hold itself together more

When its in get a quality tune as most problems are due to poor tunning and detonation can kill a turbo engine quick as

Sorry bout the big post but i still got more so when i get the time ill do a CA18 Monsta Guide post, full of everything and pics external and internal

Ps. apparently you can get them in with S13/1600 mounts but from what i c the crossmemember still needs reversing to clear the sump so i dunno yet ill probly go a kit to same hassle of gettin a quality job

***MAY THE FORCE B WITH U***

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:25 am 

haha im not spandex.. but hey thansk for that post!! was a gr8 read.. as im putting a ca18det into my stanza.. that i have ordered from SSS automotive.
be interesting. indeed. look foward to the ca18 monsta guide!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:36 am 

Hay man thats a kick ass post :)

yes well i can get every part needed for my ca as thats what i do for a living (selling pistons and so on)
i was thinking of putting some pistons in and arp rod bolts and treating the rods to some cleaning
but not 100% sure yet

as for DE+T yer i have seen it done before and no ppl who have done it but ill just go a det from factory as i can get the motors in a complete package for so cheap its not even me worth replacing pistons if it blows....

yes im going to trash the crap out of it but i ant going fj. reason.. parts
i can get crap loads of ca parts and for fj. i think i can get pistons and a head gasket

as for coils yes i have seen this problem and thinking of overing coming it with spitfire ones
BUT i have also looked at the 4 coils made from bosch but im yet to see a write up on it

as for tuning yes its the make or break part of the motor and i have a good mate whos a tuner and makes probly the most power i see out of a ca here in aus
so he will be doing the tuning
i was thinking if i do take the head of to replace the head gasket go and O ring the block, sealed by a copper head gasket i can get.
but then if i do that pistons will go in
and then maybe even Crower rods if i put these rods in i will be looking at a 150shot of wet nos and water/metho injection for sure!

i am going all out on this motor probly spend around 15k getting my parts at cost price and labour will be all myself
so yer i have a bit of bling to play around with but at the end of the day i want to make a statment
but like i said untill i get the motor i wont know which way i will head ether crazy rebuild
or replace if blows type
it all depending on a few things as i would like to get a house first before going crazy on the money pit

once again mate thanks for the wicked reply if u got msn man pm me you addy and we can talk more :)

Long live the 1.8Lts

p.s ha alloy sh*t sr's
who likes egg shaped bores :lol: