Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:12 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

Post subject: CAM BRGS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:35 pm 
can you replace cam brg towers from another head? or fit some inserts, mine are damaged due to some swarf in the head journals! just a cruel reminder of, dont trust anyone. had the head fully re-coed and worked, payed for it to be cleaned and assembled, when i picked it up was told it was ready to go no need to clean it out etc, after a short few runs, i went too take the cam out couldnt get the towers off the cam? found that the head was full of crap and what about the reground cam. they are hollow and how do you know if its cleaned out properly? couldnt have been the block as it had no work done to it just cleaned and re-ringed. ended up getting some pretty fresh swarf out of the head oil journals. gave the towers a clean up but they are still pretty rough. what to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:50 pm 
Old Digger

Go to a pinch a part and pull another set of towers from a L4 series engine. They should all be the same. Got to every car with a L series 4 banger and check them all for the best journals. Make sure you mark which ones are which i.e.: j1 j2 j3 j4. The set needs to come from the same car! They need to be kept in order. If the ones you find are a bit rough use grade 1500 wet and dry to polish them up a bit. Make sure you clean them with warm water and soap after the wet and dry. You want them as clean as possible (same with your whole engine). oil them up and off you go. The cam must spin free with no resistance in the journals. If cam doesn't un torque one journal and see if it was the journal that was binding. If it was use a hammer and metal dowel and knock either size and the top until it does not bind. Torque the journal bolts to 10-12 f. do no over tighten as you will strip the threads in the head. Then another can of worms will open. Finally check wipe pattern on your rocker and lash clearance. Front cam gear bolt should be at 100 f torque not what the service manual says, but I have seen they come loose. For more info on all of this on of this link. It will inform you about all this stuff. http://www.datsport.com/Tek_Menu.html Good Luck.