Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:31 pm 

True but if it were the balance of a wheel or brake drum causing the problem then it would vibrate regardless of being under load or not. It may be a half shaft or some thing that is only vibrating under load. If it were load related you could just acc past 80 then back off and see if it still happens

180b Wagon daily
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 9&start=30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm 

Could a half shaft cause the vibration or a pinion bearing? Someone here in SA said the axle bushs could be my problem as the axle could be tilting to much under load!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm 

Well you have a solid rear axle so that rules out half shaft

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:14 pm 

Ok then what about excessive backlash in the diff after 27 yrs use? By the way the solid axle has coil springs not leaf springs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:08 pm 

Why dont you tell us a little bit more about your problem. What have you already tested/replaced/tried in order to fix the problem? is there any recent service history to the appropriate part of the car that might be significant.

as i understand it the rear end of your car starts to vibrate but only once you get above 80 km/h
If it were an issue with the input side of the gearbox or anything forward of there you would expect that the vibrations would occur at a certain RPM in any gear but as it only occurs at 80 km/h (or above?) you are probably safe to rule that end of the car out. You said that it goes away when the prop shaft is removed, this means that either there is an issue with something between the input side of the diff and the output side of the gearbox OR something that is only occurring under load.

Have you got under your car and had a look for any issues? look for stuffed bushes excessive play in components etc. Jack the car up and have a feel for how much backlash you have in your diff, or if anything is rotating in an eccentric way. see if there is play in your uni joints

Some other tests you can try to tell you more about the problem is....

Drive above 80km/h and then let go of the accelerator so load is applied in the other direction see if vibration still occurs
Drive above 80Km/h and put your clutch in see if the vibration goes away

I DON'T recommend this one in case you kill yourself or damage your car some how but put the back of your car on stands so the wheels don't touch anything put it in fourth and accelerate up to 80km/H and have a look see if you can see what is causing the issue
The above would be achieved much more safely by buying a camera to mount to the underside of your car and just drive it at 80 km/h

End of the day replacing the uni joints and getting your tail shaft balanced will be far cheaper then taking the diff out your car and getting it serviced so thats where i would be starting if i where you. providing you cant see anything visually wrong.

180b Wagon daily

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:12 pm 

Have you checked yoiur hub rings?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:35 am 

See the latest post regarding this damn car.