Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 pm 

Item: Independent Rear Suspension (IRS) conversion to suit a

910 Nissan/Datsun Bluebird Sedan.

It has similar components and will suit DR/MR/R30 Skyline Sedans and coupes.

As it was intended by Nissan Japan! No tacky poor ADM live axle junk tearing out control arms!

It comes mostly complete including:

- R180 differential and shafts. 3.9 Ratio open centre. Painted in 2 pack. Was used behind a CA18DE, silent diff and was never under load.
- Moustache Bar to suit
- RARE DR30 290mm Calipers. I had so much drama finding these, I literally searched for months domestic and international. Cost me over $200 for dirty old calipers by the time they arrived at my door. But are critical to a good setup instead of poxy 250mm rotors or drums they come standard with.
- New M20 Bolts/nuts/washers to suit installation.
- New stainless link pin bolts for swaybar.
- New M12 bolts for diff/subframe mounting.
- Tailshaft to suit standard length gearboxes. New unis and painted in 2 pack to last.
- 2" Exhaust system to suit Bluebird. Straight through mufflers however has only seen approx. 1500km use before I went R200/FJ20 turbo.
- Assorted handbrake cables to complete the handbrake setup.

What it needs to complete:

- Companion flanges for the Swingarms/diff. Common part, nothing unusual. 3x2 bolt pattern.
- Z31 4 stud 300ZX 290mm rotors - I can supply 5 stud rotors if you wish to redrill to suit. Or can organise to have them redrilled for you.
- Assorted bushes as part of installation. Have got all the part numbers you need.
- Brake pads as part of overhaul.
- Standard fabrication skills to fit.

The best part about this conversion is you retain a lot of the factory equipment and realistically there isn't a major amount of modification to fit. I have a write-up on the AussieBluebird forum -> Members Garage - > Blueh #2 -> page 14 onwards on how I overhauled and installed my setup. It drags on a bit and my overhaul was more extensive than it needed to be however it's as comprehensive as I could have made it. http://aussiebluebirds.com/index.php?topic=3419.195

You retain the factory rear shocks, they bolt up. The factory brake master cylinder remains unchanged. Most of the holes are already pre-drilled into the shell so there is little issue in aligning the subframe. The moustache bar has been fabricated to suit. Brakes are a bolt on. Exhaust was made specifically to suit. All the hard work has been done!

I have done a conversion myself and I am so happy with it. It is genuinely the best thing you can do to upgrade the handling of the Bluebird shell and relieve the shell of the passenger trailing-arm issue! The cars balance is so much better and handles bumps superbly. Less unsprung weight and better front/rear weight balance.

I spent over 5K doing my IRS installation because I had to source parts separately, all the parts you need are here, anything else is replaced with new items (ie Rotors and pads) as part of the swap.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. Can handle any phone enquiries you may have. I am more than happy to help prospective buyers with the conversion as well as supply them with as much information on the installation as possible. As I stated earlier it's very easy and the best bang-for-buck handling modification you can do to a 910 shell.

Reason for sale is that I literally have to many spare parts sitting around and I need to move onto other projects. I would rather see more Bluebirds with IRS getting around as they're just so damn cool.

Pickup preferred, can help with delivery where reasonable. Can freight at buyers expense with a standard pallet.

Price: $1000

Pics:

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

douglasamills wrote:
1600s arent the only datsun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:37 pm 

FMD. Bargain of the century.
Makes me want to buy a Bluey just so I can do this conversion...
Good luck with the sale.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:35 pm 

Thanks a bunch. I wasn't sure about the price, glad I've hit the mark.

I recommend you buy it haha.

douglasamills wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:10 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

I don't want to get into a big debate about pros and cons etc, but in all honesty does a Bluebird drive a lot better with an IRS setup? I have only driven one Bluebird, but I have driven a plethora of axle 200Bs, only two were IRS. Once was dead standard, and possibly not a great comparison. But the other had lots of new bushes, new King springs and shocks etc, and on both occasions I remember thinking "this is exactly like driving a live axle 200B". A friend has a Bluebird race car with an MR30 rear end and he said doing the swap made a huge difference on the track.

It looks like you have done your research with this setup though and your ad is well written so hopefully someone out there is willing to pay your very fair asking price!

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:38 pm 

green200b wrote:
I don't want to get into a big debate about pros and cons...
Al, you crack me up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:23 pm 

Haha, debate begins. Fair question though and I'm glad you asked.

Nah it definitely does. The live axle is so clunky and tacked on so poorly from factory. Bear in mind that the 910 Bluebird was factory IRS and only Australia got the solid axles, so it was patched onto the shell that.was designed for IRS. The body suffers from a lot of flex due to this, and many high powered builds I've seen over the years have ended up being merely parts inside a useless shell because they become irrepairable in the floorpans. Tearing trailing arms etc. One that comes to mind was a mid-Blue one with gold Simmons and a beefy SR20, but there are many.

The original setup alleviates this because the floor shares the load and it's somewhat 'boxed' so to speak between the moustache bar and subframe, so in a way the only weight hanging is from the swingarms and not the entire diff assembly. The floor only has a rail that runs completely down the driver side and the passenger side comes short just behind the front seat. If you jack one up on stands where the trailing arms meet the body and drop the weight off the axle you may actually see the body flex...

The unsprung weight advantage is huge, one of my first drives was on a road that was basically patched potholes on a steep decline (they call it Bumble Hill Rd out near Kulnura, its a bit notorious), and it made no noises and simply rode all the bumps. The body weight is far more even so the car balances well through turns and most of the time never understeered nor oversteered. I have another one with an RB25 and live axle (I suppose the RB is a little weight biased) however they are two entirely different animals.

The only time I've seen the IRS fail was a rally car with an FJ. It tore the mounts off the subframe to the swingarm. That's after a few years of abuse. There may be others but that's all I know of.

I've found most people are hard to convince until they see it drive or have a drive themselves, but I'm super glad I did the swap on mine. I just need firmer rear springs to help combat squat. I'll consider that after I replace the gearbox.

For reference my GXE Ultra (full options, power everything) with ~1/4 tank fuel with a CA18DE and IRS weighed at 1170kg and with FJ20ET 1225kg. Not sure how that compares to live axle in a GXE but a stripped out Bluebird with an SR20DET will weigh in at 995kg on the same scales. I would imagine IRS would add ~40kg to the mix.

douglasamills wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:47 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Interesting, thanks for the reply. Same with the 200B, designed originally for IRS but got a live axle.

My friend said doing the IRS swap on his made an enormous difference at high-speed cornering. Although there's not much of the Bluebird left - it has a VQ35DET, front and rear suspension completely changed. But again thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have some fun cars!

The fleet:
'80 200B GX - the green200b - hibernating indefinitiely
'81 RX-7 - 12A extend port, 4.375 LSD - daily (currently hibernating)
'74 RX-2 - 13B bridgeport, 4.444 LSD - cruiser (also hibernating)
Dato200B wrote:
Green200B has forgotten more about 200Bs than we will ever know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 pm 

Deposit taken.

douglasamills wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:21 pm 

Sold! Freighted out today!

Can be deleted, cheers! (Or kept for future info? Haha)

douglasamills wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:09 pm 
Donating Member
Donating Member

Hey, yep great info.
I notice the rear cross member appears similar to that of a 280zx. Any idea if they are the same?
I'm probably way off the mark

Cheers
Mick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:24 pm 

I believe they are similar if not the same!

douglasamills wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:07 pm 

Hey mate, will this setup bolt in to a 81 910 bluebird. Very interested, just brought a very clean Datsun and looking at doing a bit too it. And your price is reasonable.