Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:19 pm 

DMS can make them to fit.
Pics here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:48 pm 

i'm flipping the coin on whether to go rear coilovers like the ones Anth510 posted here and has in his car now (Troy Ermish??)

is it worthwhile? pro's & cons? their $525 USD for the Troy Ermish plus freight, vs new springs and say Koni adjustable shocks.. $500ish AUD

i want handling above all else, but it will be a street car and i will compete in track days/hillclimbs/motorkhana's and the like as a hobby.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:07 pm 

These are the only pros and cons I can think of. Anyone else add where they see fit and confirm I have the correct facts???

Rear Coilovers:
PROS:
Adjustable ride height.

CONS:
Limited shock range availability.
Have to (supposedly?) strengthen semi-trailing arms where the shock/spring mounts.
Possible weakness in the rear towers may cause cracks etc. Although I haven't seen this in person, so I can't really comment to be honest. Leigh and Anth and their 1600's are probably a better at answering this question, although i'm not sure their cars are daily drivers. From memory Leigh uses R30 rear arms (or similar).

Seperate Springs
PROs:
wider range of shock adjustment and shock options
No modification to the rear.

CONS:
No height adjustment, but once it's set for height, forget about it like I have...
The amount of money you can spend on rear shocks is pretty high. The pair of rear shocks I have are double adjustable, and reflect that in the cost.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:22 pm 

thanks for the reply.

food for thought

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:32 pm 
Guru

We had our new race struts with adjustable rebound & compression
inserts tested at Oran park recently.
They came up trumps.
So we are now finishing off a pair of race shocks for std type springs
and also making a pair of coil overs with these inserts.
We needed short stroke inserts for low ride height.
will post up some pics shortly.
The AGXs that the yanks use do not have enough compression rate to suit 1600s.
They jack down on rebound.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am 

How come no one has made a separate shock/spring combo with adjustable collars just for the spring seat, like so...

[ img ]

I thought something like this would have been available before a complete coilover unit? It's the same as the standard setup yet still enables you to adjust the ride height

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:17 am 

I agree with Anth, I have actually looked into making my own set but I gave up early in the reserach stage....

I'd go for a setup like in the pic above or like Deane posted up, looks simillar to Lag-510s rear shocks.

edit - also nother option would be fitting some 200B IRS arms and run a coiover setup like Anth and Lag-510, I know for s fact Lag has R30 arms that do go on but you have to slot the outer mointing tabs in the crossmember to correct the toe in that they give and they do give you and extra 20mm or so of track, tho in my situation where I'm running 15x8 0 offset rims those extra 20mm is no good hance the 200B arms, I have looked at both original 180B and the 200B arms side by side and they're almost identical and they already have a biger mount on them for the struts or in this case coilovers and you wouldn't have the toe issue. I also reckon you could even upgrade the drums to R31 discs/calipers as per usual....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:07 pm 

oooh i like that.. would never have thought of it.

personally, once i have the ride height right it will stay where it is. but still, i like :)

Anth510 wrote:
How come no one has made a separate shock/spring combo with adjustable collars just for the spring seat, like so...

[ img ]

I thought something like this would have been available before a complete coilover unit? It's the same as the standard setup yet still enables you to adjust the ride height

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 am 
Donating Member
Donating Member

those springs look super short when using those platforms.

hey baz, i read on the first page you were building a proto type for a rear coil over and that was some time ago, how come you dont offer it now?? didint it work well??

and anth, have you had any problems with your set you have in your car as i was looking at the same kit. (once i finally get my car on the road.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:54 pm 

whatsdoing wrote:

hey baz, I read on the first page you were building a proto type for a rear coil over and that was some time ago, how come you dont offer it now?? didint it work well??

and anth, have you had any problems with your set you have in your car as I was looking at the same kit. (once I finally get my car on the road.)
the springs are always short in those platforms as you use the collar to raise it, so they need to be short to allow a good amount of adjustment. My mk4 golf daily has the same setup in the rear.

only problems I have is that they make a bit of noise, the rubber that sits under the top nut in the boot squeeks, and the actual springs/top hats are all metal-on-metal so they clunk around every now and then. It's not the ultimate design by any means, I think it could be improved, mainly the top hat area.

also on one side, the spring was hitting the inner guard when we tried to install them, so we welded up the hole in the boot where the top of the shock bolts in and drilled a new hole a few mm outwards so the spring clears the guard, otherwise they wouldn't have been able to be bolted in. hope that made sense

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:05 pm 
Guru

whatsdoing wrote:

hey baz, I read on the first page you were building a proto type for a rear coil over and that was some time ago, how come you dont offer it now?? didint it work well??

and anth, have you had any problems with your set you have in your car as I was looking at the same kit. (once I finally get my car on the road.)
There was no problem with the design.
Just that the inserts were too long for track use with high poundage springs.
So there was no great advantage for the cost involved.

Its a fine line between ride height, droop & keeping the rear spring loaded so there are no rattles.
Now we have the right inserts to do the job, track & street we soon will be testing these out
I feel that the top shock mounts are strong enough. The weak point is where the rear shock tower
meets the floor pan. This point is also subjected to extreme load when the std arm bumpstops
hit hard on the bump stop tower.
As the coil over shock will remove this load it will not be a problem in future.
I would just be checking this area ( as we do on all 16s that come in the shop) & plug welding on the seam for security.

We have made a rear brace to support the rear towers, over kill.
And have reinforced the lower control arm shock mounting bolt.
The addition of progressive bump stops over the insert shaft will lessen impacts.

"R.I.P. Baz. 29 April 2022. Thank you for all your contributions to the Datsun community over the years. You will be missed." - OZDAT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:49 pm 

Thought I'd bring this thread back up. Anyone bought coil overs and Installed them yet?

Pics of upper and lower extra bracing would be appreciated

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:39 pm 
Guru

Check Cammos rear trailing arms & the mods done & the rear bracing.
Ready for our custom coil overs with replacable inserts.
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 99&start=0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:33 pm 

Baz wrote:
The weak point is where the rear shock tower
meets the floor pan.
I second this - I've seen this seam separate in 610s when using those weight-bearing ride-height adjustable shocks that are adjuested with compressed air.

The Datto...
'74 610 180B
SR20DET on 18psi and E85. 220kW.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 am 

Baz wrote:
Check Cammos rear trailing arms & the mods done & the rear bracing.
Ready for our custom coil overs with replacable inserts.
http://ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 99&start=0
Baz, couldnt really see the lower mount reinforcement clearly in that photo of swing arm.

Might give cam a buzz next week and ask for finer details.