Ozdat Home Feature Cars Ozdat Classifieds Event Calander Links Trade Link Tech Resource Merchandise Donate Web Mail
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC+11:00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:15 pm 

Not much play at all... The steering box moves a little when the steering wheel is played with, but i have just bought a steering box brace to sort that out.

Nick, I am not a fan of chopped springs anyway, i'd rather get some with the correct spring rate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:27 am 

mine was the same with 16" wheels, replaced them with 14s and it was a whole new car :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am 

Tyrie wrote:
mine was the same with 16" wheels, replaced them with 14s and it was a whole new car :)
Sweet :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:39 pm 

Rat Dat wrote:
Not much play at all... The steering box moves a little when the steering wheel is played with, but I have just bought a steering box brace to sort that out.

Nick, I am not a fan of chopped springs anyway, I'd rather get some with the correct spring rate.
nothing to do with bracing it its the slop in the gears inside

1 B310 Sunny L18 Race Car
1 Stanza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm 

Yeah I know. What i was saying is that the box is fine, but i also bought the brace to fix anything else.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:40 pm 

Was this issue ever fixed?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 pm 

Steering box brace from datsport will fix most of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:12 pm 

Chris. A steering box brace won't stop erratic steering esp. if the box itself is stuffed. No standard 1600 came out with one. The most probable cause is due to previous factors that have been covered. I.e. loose worm gear in the box itself caused by knocks from bumps and rough roads (after 40 years, Not many boxes are in good condition and need to be adjusted for free play). Play in the steering components and the wheel size causing tram lining. I had a 1600 once that had almost 1/4 turn of free play in the steering caused by a stuffed steering box, and it did not have erratic steering. It just meant you had more turn before you affected its direction and you had to work harder to keep on line (until i changed the box).

The steering box brace will sharpen up the steering and make it more precise as it reduces the knocks and bumps, and also the flex to the box when cornering hard under load. A good investment for sure, but not the cure to the problem. Its more than likely in the setup. Or other worn components.

I'm interested to know too, did you fix the problem?

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:49 pm 

Ok i agree with everything you said, but in my old car it was tram lining horribly, all over the place.

I installed a steering box brace and the change was amazing, was like a new car.
Perhaps my box was in good condition.

It will depend on the condition of the box of course, but i think that even factory 1600s must have moved all over the place. You wobble the wheel side to side in a car without a brace and the box moves all over the place.

If the gears are worn then yup a box isnt going to have much effect.

Edit: In short i reckon it would be silly to go replacing the steering box without first trying out a brace for it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:52 am 

I was chasing erratic steering problems and couldn't solve it. Although I was improving the situation with alignment, controll arm bushes, and box brace the datto was still very twitchy. Final thing that corrected the tram tracking was replacing the front tyres. Seems the un even tyre wear was enough sort of simulating a steering alignment condition.
I've never experienced that much effect caused by front tyre wear before

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:55 pm 

Seriously. Look at tire width. It is very important for handling. It affects it so much and everybody overlooks it thinking they know better. Even rally cars run narrower tires than you would think. A lot less than you'd get on a "Tough" street car. I never had any tram line issues with mine. I ran 15" x 5.5" tires. 195 x 50 series rubber. Before that I had 14" with 195 front and 205 rears. No issue on either one. But you're right, Try the steering box brace for sure, and if you don't have one, they're a worth while investment anyway.

Previous Car: Restored Green 1972 Datsun 510, Hot L18

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hey folks... I have not even begun to sort this out yet. Not until I can afford new tyres for the 14" rims i have. I purchased a steering box brace for it, $30 on ebay, but havent fitted that either. Since becoming a dad i've had my hands full and since buying my R33 i haven't been interested in working on the old datto, which is a shame. Plus it's cold and wet where i live so motivation has been lost. Once i get the tyres though i'll be giving it a shot as i recon the size of the tyres (205/55/16's) could be the problem and also the fact they are worn to buggery. It will be good once i get it sorted though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 pm 

Can anyone tell me whats the best sized 14" tyres to go on 1600? I'm thinking 195/60/14's just cause i like that tyre size but just wondering what would be the best to try and sort this steering problem out... 175/65's? 185/65's? Or does it not really mater?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:25 pm 

can't you borrow some wheels from another owner and have a drive, see if if wheels/tyres is the cause... process of elimination? surely there's another Datto owner you know that would be happy to help out.. 10 minutes to jack a car up and swap 2/4 wheels and drive... costs no money, just time (maybe a pint), and then go shopping for tyres when the problem is confirmed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:29 pm 

Yeah.. not many datto fans in my tiny town of like 200 people lol. Otherwise yes i would.